C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help getting Speedometer Needle removed...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 02:18 AM
austinseanchris
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Need help getting Speedometer Needle removed...

Hello all, I've been on the forums all night reading old threads in regards to my thread title. Needless to say, while completely re-doing my interior, I was putting the speedometer bezel back in and accidently broke the speedometer pointer/needle in half. Its still connected at the base but broke the end of it off. Fortunately, I was able to find them online to be ordered for fairly cheap as opposed to buying a whole new speedometer. Nonetheless, I went ahead and bought two from Mid America as it said the tach and speedometer pointer were the same from 78-82(mine being a 78). I thought it'd be a good idea to replace both at the same time. I popped off the tach needle with ease. However, I cannot get the speedometer needle to save my life. Ive read about 100 posts..."Rotate counter clockwise while pulling up", "Grab the base and pull outward", "Grab under base with needle nose pliers and twist base off with hands", etc. I've tried them all and the thing is still on there. Im scared to rear pull or pry it off much harder that I may break something and be in worse shape.

Secondly, once the new needle is installed, is it ready to go or how would you go about re-calibrating it?

Thanks for the help as always!
Old 10-11-2013, 03:20 AM
zuendler
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

The pointers are just pressed on the shaft. Pulling harder is the only thing you can do.
Of course you could something damage whil doing so. But again: its the only way.

For safer grip you can use this:
http://rosenberger.de/ok/images/docu...002-000_db.pdf
Old 10-11-2013, 04:09 PM
austinseanchris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zuendler
The pointers are just pressed on the shaft. Pulling harder is the only thing you can do.
Of course you could something damage whil doing so. But again: its the only way.

For safer grip you can use this:
http://rosenberger.de/ok/images/docu...002-000_db.pdf
Ok...geez...I was pulling pretty darn hard last night scared I was going to break the shaft off or pull it out(not sure if either is possible?). The tachometer needle practically fell off, not sure if there both put on exactly the same. Still not sure about calibration either?
Old 10-11-2013, 04:42 PM
zuendler
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

You should remember where it was pointing to before you removed the pointer.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:16 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The tack pointer is not the same as the speedo pointer, if you look at the tach pointer the shaft size is different. The only way you can use the speedo needle on the tack is to use the original needle hub.... go to my sight and you'll see the note I have on the speedo needle... due to other vendors not having correct info.

To remove the needle on your car: Look at the speedometer... inside you'll see what is called a speed cup. Hold this with your fingers tightly, then hold the needle and turn it counter clockwise while pulling outward.

The needle will come off.

If you look below, it isn't your speedo, but the speed cup is made the same. (yours will be black).

Willcox

Old 10-13-2013, 12:31 AM
austinseanchris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
The tack pointer is not the same as the speedo pointer, if you look at the tach pointer the shaft size is different. The only way you can use the speedo needle on the tack is to use the original needle hub.... go to my sight and you'll see the note I have on the speedo needle... due to other vendors not having correct info.

To remove the needle on your car: Look at the speedometer... inside you'll see what is called a speed cup. Hold this with your fingers tightly, then hold the needle and turn it counter clockwise while pulling outward.

The needle will come off.

If you look below, it isn't your speedo, but the speed cup is made the same. (yours will be black).

Willcox

Ok, figured out what the problem was. I was trying to remove the entire black hub that the needle attaches to. I held the hub like you stated and the arm just popped off in my hand. Trying to make things harder than they have to be I suppose! Thanks for the help!
Old 10-13-2013, 09:02 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

I put a drop of penetrating oil at the area where the needle fits the shaft/gave it ten minutes/pulled & slightly rotated the needle...

10 minutes later.....this happened!

Old 10-13-2013, 09:40 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

doorgunner- You don't need to do this, it's just pressed on. On your speedo you don't have to hold anything. The 1968-1977 style speedo has a stop tab made on the speed cup retainer and the speed cup so all you would need to do is turn it counter clockwise pulling outward without holding anything. The tab will stop the cup from turning and the needle will pop off with ease.

Willcox
Old 10-13-2013, 11:01 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

10-4..........that super-thin shaft that the needle is pressed on had me n-e-r-v-o-u-s !

I noticed the metal bump-stops that you mentioned...now I know why the needle can't "get buried".....LOL!
Old 10-16-2013, 02:08 PM
austinseanchris
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by doorgunner
I put a drop of penetrating oil at the area where the needle fits the shaft/gave it ten minutes/pulled & slightly rotated the needle...

10 minutes later.....this happened!

Well, my new needle came in and I thought I had taken it off correctly. Needless to say the new needle came in mounted on the black ring that actually sits on the shaft. I literally pulled the needle off the ring. Nonetheless, I dropped a little wd40 on her, and popped the entire assembly out. I was like you though, I was nervous trying to pry that old needle off thinking something had to give somewhere. Luckily, the only thing that gave was what was suppose to lol. But thanks for the advice and glad my project didnt go as far as yours ::

Get notified of new replies

To Need help getting Speedometer Needle removed...

Quick Reply: Need help getting Speedometer Needle removed...