C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift lever ignition engage

Old 10-12-2013, 11:50 AM
Capkunu
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Shift lever ignition engage

Trying to sort out a small (hopefully) issue with the 350 auto Parking/Ignition engage switch.

I have to push the shift lever lightly upwards to engage the starter circuit. When I put the lever into neutral and re-engage Park, I hear a linkage (solenoid?) clicking in the steering column - which I assume - is the steering lock mechanism. Could there be a connection? Is there an adjustment and/or lube-point to address? Or is it likely the ignition lock out switch - which is located - where? (Waiting for my shop manual to arrive).

The car sat for awhile and I've been freeing up several stuck and/or squeeky moving parts.

Thanks.

Dan G>
Old 10-12-2013, 12:38 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The neutral safety switch is mounted on the shift lever under the top of the console. From your description, my take is you are pushing the lever more towards park to get the starter to engage. If that's the case, most likely that switch needs to be adjusted. Not a big deal to adjust, remove the screws that hold the trim plate on the console and you can see the switch. Loosen the 2 screws that mount it and move it a little and try it again. May take a few tries to hit the sweet spot.
THe noise you're hearing from the steering column is the anti-theft feature. There's a cable from the trans to the steering column that also locks the trans in park when the key is in the lock position.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Actually ...the cable that runs from the transmission shifter linkage point to the steering column is for making sure you have the car in PARK. Because you can not remove the key unless the car is in Park with this cable working as designed. So it is a safety feature...not anti-theft.

Often times...if you remove the cotter pin that holds this cable end on the steering column tab (on the engine side...basically against the firewall)...and by turning your ignition key...take that tab and go down with it and feel for binding. if this tab will go up and down easily...that is a good thing. Because often times I have encountered the grease that GM used to lubricate this rotating assembly in the steering column has gone bad and the grease has actually hardened and got crusty. IF this is your scenario...the column has to be broken down to get to the specific point to get the tab to rotate very freely.

If you are hearing a scrubbing action. the chances are the bearings in the column are worn out...thus allowing the column shaft to have play in it and it then begins to scrub....OR ...the plastic housing at the base of your column ...just before your speedo/tach panel, is broken and the aluminum housing that rotates in it is rubbing against the plastic cover that sis cracked or broken and not straight.

DUB
Old 10-12-2013, 08:24 PM
Capkunu
Pro

remove the screws that hold the trim plate on the console and you can see the switch. Loosen the 2 screws that mount it and move it a little and try it again. May take a few tries to hit the sweet spot.

Thanks Tim. I tried that and, for the life of me, I couldn't get a grip on those hex screws. The bottom one is especially difficult; it's located in a small well which makes tool work a huge challenge. I tried every wrench in my inventory with no joy.

After I gave up trying, I checked the shift plate bolts (much easier to access). The lower right bolt was loose, so I tightened it and lubed the shifter spring. Now, it doesn't take two hands (one to turn the key, the other to hold the shifter towards park) to start the car. Most always it starts normally - or - it takes a small upward nudge of the shifter to get 'er going.

I can see how that switch works, but I need some tool advice how to loosen those hex screws.

PS: I may've forgot to mention it's a '76 'Vette.

Thanks for you help.

Dan G>
Old 10-13-2013, 04:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Sometimes you have to remove the bolts that hold the shifter to the floor so you can raise it to gain access to the screw you are having trouble with currently.

DUB
Old 10-13-2013, 06:07 PM
Capkunu
Pro

Originally Posted by DUB
Sometimes you have to remove the bolts that hold the shifter to the floor so you can raise it to gain access to the screw you are having trouble with currently.

DUB
Duh!! Sometimes the obvious is so obscure.

Appreciate the tip; will try that next.

Dan G>

Get notified of new replies

To Shift lever ignition engage

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shift lever ignition engage