C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

454 flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 02:21 AM
jakvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 454 flywheel

Hi Guys,
I need some help regarding fitting of a new flywheel to my 73 454 .

I need to replace the flywheel , but before i order a unit from a vendor i need to know if the flywheels are just a case of bolting on , or is each flywheel matched to each individual engine requiring the complete engine to be balanced if its changed .

I know that the flywheel can be balanced , but isnt the counter weight that is cast in the flywheel a certain size and in a different position to match the crank ??

If the flywheels and cranks are all the same , i wont have an issue and i can purchase a new unit from any of the vendors , but if there are differences i would appreciate any advice you guys can offer .

John
Old 10-17-2013, 03:34 AM
zuendler
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

It differs from engine typ to typ. The late 454s (or all?) are external ballanced, so wheel and crank seperately. But earlyer BBs are internal ballanced, crank and wheel together.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:24 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by zuendler
It differs from engine typ to typ. The late 454s (or all?) are external ballanced, so wheel and crank seperately. But earlyer BBs are internal ballanced, crank and wheel together.
Not exactly.

All 454's are externally balanced so you must use a flywheel explicitly for a 454. All 454 flywheels are balanced the same so they can be interchanged without re-balancing the rotating assembly.

When a rotating assembly is balanced, weight is either added or removed from the crankshaft. Never from the flywheel. This ensures that a flywheel can be replaced without effecting balance.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:17 AM
jakvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Bashcraft ,

thanks a stack , thats exactly what i wanted to find out . So if i order a 454 flywheel for a 73 vette from a vendor and i bolt it on in place of the flywheel i removed , it will work perfectly with my engine and crank which is original ??

I was concerned that each unit might have been machined and matched with the counterweight peices to match the crankshaft supplied for the engine , but if this was a mass produced item and all were identical then i should have no problem obtaining a flywheel and assembling onto my engine and not have engine vibration issues .

Thanks for all the fast responses guys , much appreciated

John

Originally Posted by bashcraft
Not exactly.

All 454's are externally balanced so you must use a flywheel explicitly for a 454. All 454 flywheels are balanced the same so they can be interchanged without re-balancing the rotating assembly.

When a rotating assembly is balanced, weight is either added or removed from the crankshaft. Never from the flywheel. This ensures that a flywheel can be replaced without effecting balance.

Get notified of new replies

To 454 flywheel

Quick Reply: 454 flywheel