C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early C3 Undercar Insulation and Heat Shield Question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 10:25 PM
sumcollegekid
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Early C3 Undercar Insulation and Heat Shield Question...

I'm currently finishing up the floor of my body before putting it back on the chassis and I've got a question about under car insulation and heat shields and rattling.

My early 1969 coupe doesn't have any holes drilled in the front of the floor pans for the "spike clips" that held on the large pieces of insulation that came on some cars underneath the metal heat shields.... so I'm guessing that it didn't come with them. There's supposedly around 12 clips that held each of these in if your car has them so that's 24 holes per side. No wonder so many fiberglass floors didn't last!!!

My question is this... do the metal heat shields under the floor pans on 1968-69's rattle really bad without insulation?? If so I'm considering putting the insulation in between the floor pan and the heat shield even if I don't use the clips to keep it in place. My hope would be that the insulation would prevent the pan from rattling.

If no one has issues with rattling using no insulation then I will just forget it.

Ideas/Comments??

Rick
Old 10-17-2013, 11:42 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

No rattle. I removed the fiberglass and used two different heat refection products from DEI instead.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:52 AM
sumcollegekid
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

DDawson...

Those headers look pretty good also... they're tucked up under the car very nicely.

What brand are you running? After NCRS judging I might just slap on a set!!! I'm guessing from your avatar that this is a BB car?

Rick
Old 10-18-2013, 03:30 AM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 797 Likes on 447 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

ddawson,
I like the look of the DEI products you used.
Do you remember what was the name of the insulation you used on the underside floors?
I would like to insulate my floors underside the same as you.
I recognize the zero clearance on the heat shields but unfamilar with the pebble textured product on the floors.
Is the also self adhesive like the zero clearance stuff?
Thanks,
Marshal
Old 10-18-2013, 04:00 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

sumcollegekid, BBC Hedman Headers with black thermo coating.

marshal135, DEI Floor & Tunnel Shield II - Heat & Sound Insulation is the thick stuff and is self sticking. I've got more on it's way to do the tranny tunnel this month.

The other product was DEI Reflect-A-Cool that I used on the shields.

It does seem to work because coming back from my last car show on a warm day my feet didn't feel like they were in an oven on the way home. Interior has nothing but carpet at this point.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:58 AM
mac79vette
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just did a bit of a test with the DEI floor and tunnel shield II on the outside of the floor pan and with bare mettle on the inside.
My DVOM has a temp sensor and taping it on the inside bare metal floor it read 65 degrees. With a heat gun that I had running for 4 min to fully warm up I held it on the outside where there was no insulation one in from the metal. in 30 seconds the temp went from 65 degrees to 138 degrees. I then repeated this but where the DEI insulation is and after two minutes it went from 65 to 66 degrees. I did this test twice with the same results.
I have not driven it yet but I think it will work well.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:26 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

mac69vette, how much of each did you order. I will be doing a body off in 2 years?
Old 10-19-2013, 11:01 AM
mac79vette
Pro

Originally Posted by gdh
mac69vette, how much of each did you order. I will be doing a body off in 2 years?
I ordered two rolls of what ever the larger size that they offered of the floor and tunnel shield II, but only needed 1 1/2 rolls to complete what in in the photos.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:04 AM
mac79vette
Pro

Originally Posted by mac79vette
I ordered two rolls of what ever the larger size that they offered of the floor and tunnel shield II, but only needed 1 1/2 rolls to complete what in in the photos.
It was the 42X48 sized rolls.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:26 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

+1 For the DEI product.

I needed some sort of thin heat barrier for the trans tunnel - the stock type insulation is too thick, the fit is VERY tight with the TKO600

I used the Floor & Tunnel Shield II - Heat & Sound Insulation from DEI. Very happy with it. It is very easy to install, and it is quite thin, which was what I wanted for the very tight fit of my TKO600 trans.

http://www.designengineering.com/cat...und-insulation

I did see a difference in temperature. I used the 4' x 21" piece, and it was enough to do the entire trans tunnel with a little left over. I think it was about 5 or 6 separate pieces because of all the different angles it was easier to do that way. Cardboard templates before you cut will save on wasted material. This material cannot be cut with scissors, I had to use tin snips, the aluminum outer layer is almost like a thin gauge sheet metal. I also used the DEI cool-tape at all the open edges and butt joints. I thought I had some pics, but I don't.

http://www.designengineering.com/cat...ials/cool-tape

Get notified of new replies

To Early C3 Undercar Insulation and Heat Shield Question...

Quick Reply: Early C3 Undercar Insulation and Heat Shield Question...