C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 08:19 PM
MSUGTO
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Front End Rebuild

Well after replacing my harmonic balancer, I got a good look at my control arm bushing while working in the engine bay and the up drivers side control arm bushings have almost slid completely out of the arm and down the shaft that they are on. Looks like I've got a winter time project ahead of me! Got a few questions though:

Towards the end of the year I'll be moving from Austin to Phoenix, any harm in driving the car as is? I'd rather go through the suspension after the move and honestly, I couldn't tell that much of a difference in how it drove after noticing the bushing.

For the rebuild I plan on going with a rubber bushing kit that's available from one of the vendors that has all the bells and whistles, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. In addition to that, I'll be going with Bilstein Sport shocks since I'd prefer a firm ride. What springs do you recommend I go with to match those shocks that won't drop the ride height?
Old 10-22-2013, 09:02 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

If the bushing was completely gone or pushed out I would say don't drive it but other than that ...take your time. If you have old tires, take even more time...
Old 10-22-2013, 09:30 PM
MSUGTO
Pro

Part of it is still there but it's definitely time for a rebuild. Thing is I know I could do the rebuild over the course of two weekends or so and working in the evenings during the week between them but me being me, I want to get the pieces media blaster, prime and paint them. I think I may wait until the move to AZ to rebuild it.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:06 PM
kjr6306
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

While you are at it, might as well take a look at the steering components. Hoses, cylinder, box, control valve and pump. Baby it to Phoenix and take the time to do the job right.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:33 PM
MSUGTO
Pro

Good point, will take a look at the box. Will definitely trailer it out to AZ then get to work.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:16 PM
Rally68
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Some free advice that's probably worth what it cost ya: Don't buy suspension wear items (bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends etc.) in a no-name kit. You want Moog components. I have had to replace a couple bushings and a ball joint from a kit that was advertised as "premium heavy-duty" parts.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:53 PM
MSUGTO
Pro

Thanks for the heads up! I wasn't aware that Moog made bushings too, will keep an eye out for them.

Any idea what I should do for springs? Can I use what I've got?
Old 10-24-2013, 12:40 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

As long as both springs are the same height when out of the car, and feel similar when weight is applied, sand them and paint them and reinstall.

If you decide to get any powder coating of the control arms, etc done, go to Glendale Powder Coatings, ask for Rick. Fair prices, exc quality, fast turn around on normal colors.

Doug
Old 10-24-2013, 12:50 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

One of the worst things in a C3 is the steering box. Check all your ball joints then go to the box. It's like a two inch dead spot in the wheel.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:40 AM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

Rockauto.com has Moog suspension parts ....
Old 10-24-2013, 09:46 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

have your steering box rebuilt by a fellow forum member by the name of GTR????, he does a great job at a fair price!!

Also, check the brakes, wheel bearings( repack them, new seals etc) ball joints, shocks, brakes hoses etc etc!
Old 02-14-2014, 12:27 PM
MSUGTO
Pro

It's getting to be that time, I've got the bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, and other components purchased. Now I'm looking to purchase the other suspension items and I'm leaning towards VB&P's Street & Slalom kit. My question is should I go with a higher spring rate rear spring instead of the rear sway bar?

Get notified of new replies

To Front End Rebuild

Quick Reply: Front End Rebuild