C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swap Alternator from Left to Right Side

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 04:18 AM
Scott_M
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap Alternator from Left to Right Side

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has swapped the alternator from left to right sides on a 454 to allow fitment of a Gilmer belt drive set

This would not be a necessary modification if the car did not have power steering.
However with the power steering pump mounted below the alternator on the left hand side the Gilmer belt does not have a clear line from the alternator to the crank & will foul on the pump.
I have found a high mount bracket kit made by March Part#20125
this link shows both the High mount & mid mount sets on their site.

http://marchperf.com/pg23.html

Curious as to if this high mount kit is the correct one or should it be a mid mount kit or low mount kit. Keeping in mind that where the alternator sits has to be in a position to suit the length of the Gilmer belt so it has adjustment.

Once alternator is relocated and rewired then the Gilmer drive set crank pulley has the V groove to run the power steering. Just need to ensure I purchase the correct mounting kit.

I am led to believe the alternator on it is the right one with the mounting bolt holes 180 degrees directly opposite each other.

Any thoughts please, especially if you have done this mod.

kindest regards
Scott
Old 10-29-2013, 05:53 AM
dpw21562
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Left to right

Have you called the March tech support. I would think they have the answer.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:00 AM
Scott_M
Cruising

I am in Australia however I have sent March a detailed description to their tech support team on their web site hoping to hear back. I am sure they can provide me a mounting kit although not sure if they would know where to mount the alternator, mid or high, to suit a Gilmer drive kit.
The amount of belt adjustment the alternator kit can provide may have a bearing on things. Perhaps it does not matter if mounted mid or high. Both positions may be similar distance and run the same belt size.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:30 AM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

Don't know if this helps or not but here's what I did on mine. Not as pretty, but it works, its simple, and ez on the wallet. Good luck.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:37 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Most brackets from the 70s are right side alt. pick up a chevelle catalog and order there repo.
Pretty cheap compared to March or one of the other fancy distributors.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:48 AM
Scott_M
Cruising

Thanks John, That looks good & plenty of access to the power steering pump. Can barely access mine with the alternator hovering over the top of it.
I am wondering if the alternators were mounted on the left side from factory on all 454 models or if it vary depending on whether the car was fitted with p/steer & aircon etc

I see you have the bypass hose from water pump to intake manifold just below the thermostat.
Mine is plugged off. Like it since I bought it. I dont seem to be getting airlocks or temp spikes so never bothered with it. I figured whoever built the engine must have done it for a reason. Is there any known benefits as to why they would have removed this hose ?
I do notice mine takes a fair while to reach operating temperature. Perhaps putting this on would aid in faster warm up.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:55 AM
Scott_M
Cruising

Is this the one you are referring to Hugie ?
Old 10-29-2013, 09:19 AM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

A Chevelle set-up is right. Cant answer the bypass, had them both ways through the years, never really noticed any difference.

Get notified of new replies

To Swap Alternator from Left to Right Side

Quick Reply: Swap Alternator from Left to Right Side