C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Automatic Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 08:40 PM
Electra225
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3 Automatic Transmission Problem

I fixed up an 81 Vette a little while back. Nearly a complete restoration on the whole car. I have only driven it 1,100 miles since I got it on the road. The transmission was completely rebuilt by a shop that has built over a dozen transmissions for me. Never had any trouble with any of them except this one.

Problem #1. Sometimes when I crank up the car, the transmission will not go in gear. After about 30 seconds, it will go in gear. Does this about 50% of the time.

Problem #2. When I take off from a standstill in 1st gear, the transmission will not shift into second gear once I shift the lever. I have to let off the gas for it to go into 2nd gear. Trans works fine when I leave it 3rd and take off.

I have noticed that the trans is slightly overfilled. Fluid level rises to about 1/4" over the fill line once the trans gets hot.

Any advice? Thanks!
Old 10-30-2013, 09:01 PM
keithl1967
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

when you installed it, did you fill the converter separately, then install? Could be the trans case has plenty of fluid, but the converter does not have enough fluid in it...

Could also be a linakge adjustment--it may not quite be getting into the selected gear, and finally "catches" when enough pressure builds in the case...
Old 10-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Electra225
Heel & Toe

I always try to get a whole quart in the converter before I install it. However, this is a non-issue because the converter will fill completely when you crank up the engine for the first.

I don't think it is a problem with with the linkage. When it does this, I can't get it to go into any gear.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:32 PM
Electra225
Heel & Toe

The going in gear problem is very common if you trans is low on fluid. However, my trans appears to be slightly overfilled. Does anyone know if having too much fluid causes problems?
Old 10-30-2013, 09:57 PM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Get it warmed up then take the fluid temp off the dip stick with an infrared thermometer. Set what the temp is. Some times when you're in the condition where you have to let off the gas to get them to shift there is a pinched or leaking lip seal in one of the clutch packs.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:06 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

It is a build problem , best case chance it is a valve body problem .. But i would bet that tranny needs to be pulled out and opened up . .

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Automatic Transmission Problem

Quick Reply: C3 Automatic Transmission Problem