C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost Time to Paint

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 02:35 AM
newvetman
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Almost Time to Paint

So I'm 3 1/2 years into a frame off rebuild and modify everything project on a 1977 wide body. Since bubba painted the car somewhere in the past I decided the paint had to go. I've stripped all the paint and now need to prep the body and get it ready for primer and paint. So after three quotes by corvette restoration shops in my area with prices ranging from $10,000- $36,000. I was told between 200-400 hours are needed to complete it.
Yes I am a noobie but does this sound a bit ridiculous for a 1977 corvette.
Granted mine is custom and has greenwood style rear flares and 31x16x 15 tires in the rear but is this expense really what I should be looking at?
I'm debating if I can chisel off some of this expense by prepping the car myself.
I did adhere and glass in the new rear fenders and 1981 tail piece. I'm not a professional body man but I'm comfortable working with Fiberglass
Just looking for feedback from some of you guys that have taken your cars down to the fiberglass before.
I know you guys are going to want pics but I will get those on tomorrow. My pics are listed in some of my prior post if you wish to dig them up before I get them up here.
Thanks in Advance
Shawn
Old 11-10-2013, 04:55 AM
rogman16
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Not knowing the entire condition of the car, I would guess from anywhere between $5-15K for prep and paint… $5K being someone doing it on the side for several months, to a professional shop having it for 6-8 weeks ($10-15K)… Now its certainly a different discussion if a "77" is worth that… With all the hard work you've already put into it, you probably want a very nice paint job!!! Guessing the shop with the $36K bid really didn't want to work on it, but if you willing to pay, then...

I did mine myself and had about $2-3K in materials and tools alone (compressor, guns, fittings, prep materials, bc/cc, etc)… Won't even go into the man hours spent as I really didn't keep track, but it was a "bunch".. This can be done by a novice, as I've proved, but it is a lot of hard work… You have to be patient…

Jump on the paint and body forum to talk to some of the pros… They have a keen knack for talking you through things and giving you the step by step instructions/hints/comments/advice…

And yes, need tons of pictures to help guide you…

Rogman
Old 11-10-2013, 05:21 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,232 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good advice by rogman16. The quote of $36K is . Apparently that shop really doesn't want the job.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:39 AM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alternate plan

I found that most of the guys at paint and body shops don't make a ton of money unless they are owners.

I also found that some of these people freelance for cash in our difficult economic times.

I found a guy that agreed to help me with my car..I learned a great deal and in the end I have a straight clean car that has a good driver quality paint job and saved a lot of money.

I paid they young man about 25/hr cash and the amount of time to get the car done was about 4 weeks start to finish.

Just an idea if you want to save some money
Old 11-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by newvetman
So I'm 3 1/2 years into a frame off rebuild and modify everything project on a 1977 wide body. Since bubba painted the car somewhere in the past I decided the paint had to go. I've stripped all the paint and now need to prep the body and get it ready for primer and paint. So after three quotes by corvette restoration shops in my area with prices ranging from $10,000- $36,000. I was told between 200-400 hours are needed to complete it.
Yes I am a noobie but does this sound a bit ridiculous for a 1977 corvette.
Granted mine is custom and has greenwood style rear flares and 31x16x 15 tires in the rear but is this expense really what I should be looking at?
I'm debating if I can chisel off some of this expense by prepping the car myself.
I did adhere and glass in the new rear fenders and 1981 tail piece. I'm not a professional body man but I'm comfortable working with Fiberglass
Just looking for feedback from some of you guys that have taken your cars down to the fiberglass before.
I know you guys are going to want pics but I will get those on tomorrow. My pics are listed in some of my prior post if you wish to dig them up before I get them up here.
Thanks in Advance
Shawn
Any quote above $15000 is the "go away" price.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:04 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Fred
Any quote above $15000 is the "go away" price.
On a stock body that hasn't been wrecked, yes. This one has flares added and other stuff. It will take many more hours to get it straight.

If you can do all the body work and get it in primer ready to shoot you can have someone paint it, color sand and buff for about $3K in labor & materials (unless you want some specialty paint like candy).

It may look almost ready to paint, but there are many, many hours in getting everything right.

Pictures of what you have would help.

I went through the process of getting a stock body ready for paint. Don't even want to think about how much more work it would have been with flares.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:07 AM
newvetman
Instructor

Originally Posted by oldschoolvette
I found that most of the guys at paint and body shops don't make a ton of money unless they are owners.

I also found that some of these people freelance for cash in our difficult economic times.

I found a guy that agreed to help me with my car..I learned a great deal and in the end I have a straight clean car that has a good driver quality paint job and saved a lot of money.

I paid they young man about 25/hr cash and the amount of time to get the car done was about 4 weeks start to finish.

Sounds like a great plan. I have even tried calling some community colleges with no luck so far. I have been sanding and filling since January and will continue until I find someone to take over or I get it ready for paint which ever comes first. thanks for the feedback
Old 11-10-2013, 11:15 AM
newvetman
Instructor

Originally Posted by zwede
On a stock body that hasn't been wrecked, yes. This one has flares added and other stuff. It will take many more hours to get it straight.

If you can do all the body work and get it in primer ready to shoot you can have someone paint it, color sand and buff for about $3K in labor & materials (unless you want some specialty paint like candy).

It may look almost ready to paint, but there are many, many hours in getting everything right.

I went through the process of getting a stock body ready for paint. Don't even want to think about how much more work it would have been with flares.
Yes there are already hundreds of hours in it and apparently hundreds more to go. I plan on making a mold and hand laying some skirts to fit under the body kit and flares. The nose was already on the car when I started buy I have put on rear fenders and tail piece. If you have seen john greenwoods spirit of 76 that is what my car looks like mostly.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:20 AM
newvetman
Instructor

Originally Posted by oldschoolvette

Great advice . Now to just find a good body man that is hungry and willing to work at my house.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:26 AM
newvetman
Instructor

Originally Posted by rogman16
Not knowing the entire condition of the car, I would guess from anywhere between $5-15K for prep and paint… $5K being someone doing it on the side for several months, to a professional shop having it for 6-8 weeks ($10-15K)… Now its certainly a different discussion if a "77" is worth that… With all the hard work you've already put into it, you probably want a very nice paint job!!! Guessing the shop with the $36K bid really didn't want to work on it, but if you willing to pay, then...

I did mine myself and had about $2-3K in materials and tools alone (compressor, guns, fittings, prep materials, bc/cc, etc)… Won't even go into the man hours spent as I really didn't keep track, but it was a "bunch".. This can be done by a novice, as I've proved, but it is a lot of hard work… You have to be patient…

Jump on the paint and body forum to talk to some of the pros… They have a keen knack for talking you through things and giving you the step by step instructions/hints/comments/advice…

And yes, need tons of pictures to help guide you…

Rogman
Thanks Rogman I do enjoy my car time I just had no idea about the quantity of hours.
I will get pics up this afternoon while my New Orleans Saints whip the Cowboys
Old 11-10-2013, 11:37 AM
newvetman
Instructor

Originally Posted by zwede

Yes the hours do seem to never end but I do see slow but steady progress.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:28 PM
newvetman
Instructor

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-10-2013, 09:42 PM
garygnu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the car already looks cool .great thread ,like the pics .what did you use for blasting material ?
Old 11-10-2013, 09:46 PM
newvetman
Instructor

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...077-158122.jpg
Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2013, 09:55 PM
newvetman
Instructor

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...073-158125.jpg
Old 11-10-2013, 09:59 PM
newvetman
Instructor

I hate trying to post pics on this forum. I worked over a hour to get these three pics and I'm not sure why it now wants to give links only. Sorry guys

Garygnu

I did it by hand using a razor blade and some sand paper for those tough to reach places. It took a long time but it left the glass is really nice condition.

Last edited by newvetman; 11-10-2013 at 10:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Almost Time to Paint

Quick Reply: Almost Time to Paint