C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear caliper mount stripped threads

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 01:27 AM
chvet73
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear caliper mount stripped threads

I was installing my rear caliper on my '73. One bolt stripped out while setting the correct torque.
Has anyone dealt with this repair?

Could I do a helicoil? The surrounding area looks thin for the hole size an appropriate helicoil would need.
Can you fill the hole with mig or tig weld and re-tap?

Or am I stuck getting into the spindle to replace the bracket. These trailing arms have no more than 8000 miles on them since a complete rebuild.

So I'm open to any suggestion.

Thanks for your help in advance
Old 11-12-2013, 05:45 AM
69small block
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default striped hole

its a 7/16 bolt you can tap it out to 1/2 just use fine thread worked for me you might have to make custom length bolt
Old 11-12-2013, 10:50 PM
fogaley
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Metric bolt

There are some metric bolts that are just a little oversize from US threads and will work for a tap out to the next size without going to a 1/2" US bolt. Scptt
Old 11-13-2013, 12:32 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by 69small block
its a 7/16 bolt you can tap it out to 1/2 just use fine thread worked for me you might have to make custom length bolt
Originally Posted by fogaley
There are some metric bolts that are just a little oversize from US threads and will work for a metric tap out to the next size without going to a 1/2" US bolt. Scptt
As a last resort, you can remove the bad threads with a slightly larger drill (bit).....then have someone press a threaded plug/sleeve into the clean hole-----mig or tig both ends into the hole....chase the threads of the new plug with the correct size tap after the weld has cooled off....add a bit of antiseize to the new bolt threads before installing it to prevent stripping.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Kfmorgan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a '73 also. I stripped the drivers side rear while replacing the caliper, same as you.
I used a heli-coil, and have had no problems since. I have had the caliper of a couple of times since, and have had no problems retorqueing it.
Good Luck
Old 11-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Kfmorgan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chvet73
I was installing my rear caliper on my '73. One bolt stripped out while setting the correct torque.
Has anyone dealt with this repair?

Could I do a helicoil? The surrounding area looks thin for the hole size an appropriate helicoil would need.
Can you fill the hole with mig or tig weld and re-tap?

Or am I stuck getting into the spindle to replace the bracket. These trailing arms have no more than 8000 miles on them since a complete rebuild.

So I'm open to any suggestion.

Thanks for your help in advance
I should also add, that you will have to trim, and smooth the heli-coil a bit after installing it.
A lot easier than welding and tapping.
Again, Good Luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear caliper mount stripped threads

Quick Reply: Rear caliper mount stripped threads