C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydraulic Clutch Conversion on a 68 4spd

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 01:12 PM
gc161968
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydraulic Clutch Conversion on a 68 4spd

Hi Guys . .

One of this winters projects is to replace the clutch in my 68. Since I am replacing it its getting an upgrade to a hydraulic clutch. I am looking for all tips and recommendations on which kit to buy. Not looking to do a lot of fab work making something work but its not out of the question. Looking more for a direct bolt on kit that has the hydraulic cylinder outside the bellhousing. Any pics would also be great!

Thanks
Chris

Last edited by gc161968; 11-19-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 04:18 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

here is a link but they use a hydraulic throwout bearing

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...er-source.html
Old 11-19-2013, 04:29 PM
gc161968
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks . . whats the pros or cons of hyd bearing vs non hyd?
Old 11-19-2013, 04:39 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

Have you found one that bolts to the bell housing? If not you dont have a choice other than a hydraulic throwout bearing. Personally I dont see the point in doing the switch.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:22 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by gc161968
Thanks . . whats the pros or cons of hyd bearing vs non hyd?
It all has to do with the "lag-time"..as I will put it.

I prefer factory clutch master cylinder and a slave cylinder set-ups if I go hydraulic...It seems to have a good reaction time to what I feel when I engage and disengage the pedal and the "lag-time" for "things" to react.

I do not like the aftermarket hydraulic throw-out bearing that I was supplied with some time ago. The aftermarket system I had installed seemed to be "sluggish" and not "crisply" responsive ..versus the factory linkage style. Once it got all ripped out and replaced with a factory linkage style set-up...the clutch was awesome and responsive. The customer could grab third gear..... when before ...that was not even possible with the hydraulic throw-out bearing set-up.

Stop and think it like this...if you go hydraulic. If when you apply pressure to your clutch pedal and it moves the valving in the master cylinder.....which pushes fluid in a line or hose to your hydraulic throw-out bearing. If the bearing reacts slowly to this action...then your clutch disc is actually SLIPPING on the flywheel and pressure plate that "little bit" EACH and EVERY time you press the clutch pedal down. And depending on what type of disc you have...this can be detrimental to the life of the clutch disc....and when you let your foot off the clutch...the fluid does not INSTANTLY go back into the reservoir....there is a "lag" to it....which is also causing the disc to "slip" that little bit when coming off the flywheel/pressure plate surfaces.

Other may have feedback that contradicts this...which is fine and I am glad that they have something that works past 5000 miles...but I experienced it first hand in the "aftermarket" stuff that was offered about 12 years ago. And this is why I wont do it again....even though I know GM uses hydraulic throw-out bearing in the C5+ Corvettes. I like the instant response of a mechanical linkage clutch.

DUB
Old 11-19-2013, 09:31 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Hydraulic brakes seem to work OK.

I would not, however, go through the effort to replace one with the other. Make sure your mechanical setup is in like new condition and I doubt you'll see a difference. Hydraulic is *much* easier to route and binding is nowhere near the problem it would be with mechanical.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:35 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I have a hydraulic clutch in my '81 and love it
Old 11-19-2013, 09:43 PM
Amorget
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What setup did you use?
Old 11-19-2013, 10:06 PM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

When I still had my 4 speed I designed one using an external slave to actuate the fork. Slave and master from an 85 chevy 1ton pickup.
I had an aftermarket clutch that was a little heavier than stock and the force to move the fork eventually flexed the bracket and caused the seal in the slave to weep causing no pedal. I ripped it out and put the mechanical linkage back in. Similar pedal pressure in both systems. KISS

I have a t56 now with a hydraulic TOB that I like, but I did that because it was designed to use one.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:17 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

I had a hydraulic clutch in a '72 MG Midget. I had to bleed it from time to time and add fluid to the master cylinder. Finally the clutch would not fully disengage and I had to replace the slave and master and the rusted lines. I prefer the mechanical linkage in my '72 Vette. If it's not working correctly, an adjustment is quite simple. Don't know why you'd want to put in a more complicated system to do the same job.
Duane
Old 11-19-2013, 11:37 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Ditto on that. Have a hys system now the linkage system is foolproof. Blow a seal on a slave (it will be when not if) and youre stranded.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:05 AM
Amorget
Pro

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Ditto on that. Have a hys system now the linkage system is foolproof. Blow a seal on a slave (it will be when not if) and youre stranded.
I am sorry, but that is not a valid reason to not go hydraulic. There is a reason why basically every modern manufacturer is using a hydraulic setup.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:28 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Amorget
I am sorry, but that is not a valid reason to not go hydraulic. There is a reason why basically every modern manufacturer is using a hydraulic setup.
It's one less thing for the engineers to have to worry about in packaging.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:05 AM
Amorget
Pro

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
It's one less thing for the engineers to have to worry about in packaging.
Yes, that is one of many benefits of going hydraulic. Easier packaging, less maintenance and, less moving parts.

There is a whole lot more to go wrong with a mechanical setup as compared to a hydraulic setup. Same as there is a whole lot more to go wrong with a carb as compared to a fuel injection setup, or vacuum powered headlight motors compared to the electric motors, yet there are people who will argue that carbs and vacuum power pop up headlights are better.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:27 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
It all has to do with the "lag-time"..as I will put it.

I prefer factory clutch master cylinder and a slave cylinder set-ups if I go hydraulic...It seems to have a good reaction time to what I feel when I engage and disengage the pedal and the "lag-time" for "things" to react.

I do not like the aftermarket hydraulic throw-out bearing that I was supplied with some time ago. The aftermarket system I had installed seemed to be "sluggish" and not "crisply" responsive ..versus the factory linkage style. Once it got all ripped out and replaced with a factory linkage style set-up...the clutch was awesome and responsive. The customer could grab third gear..... when before ...that was not even possible with the hydraulic throw-out bearing set-up.

Stop and think it like this...if you go hydraulic. If when you apply pressure to your clutch pedal and it moves the valving in the master cylinder.....which pushes fluid in a line or hose to your hydraulic throw-out bearing. If the bearing reacts slowly to this action...then your clutch disc is actually SLIPPING on the flywheel and pressure plate that "little bit" EACH and EVERY time you press the clutch pedal down. And depending on what type of disc you have...this can be detrimental to the life of the clutch disc....and when you let your foot off the clutch...the fluid does not INSTANTLY go back into the reservoir....there is a "lag" to it....which is also causing the disc to "slip" that little bit when coming off the flywheel/pressure plate surfaces.

Other may have feedback that contradicts this...which is fine and I am glad that they have something that works past 5000 miles...but I experienced it first hand in the "aftermarket" stuff that was offered about 12 years ago. And this is why I wont do it again....even though I know GM uses hydraulic throw-out bearing in the C5+ Corvettes. I like the instant response of a mechanical linkage clutch.

DUB
Ok so I'm going to be one of the ones who " Contradicts " If one were to think that the fluid is slowing down the movement of the clutch it would be as simple as increasing the line sizes and fittings which would allow more flow. However I think that the engineers have all ready done this.
But to flip the coin, You are probably correct. Reading Dave Mcleain's book on the C3-C4 Corvette it is explained how the Engineers could control the Shock Load to the Drivetrain by using a Hyd Clutch for the then to be new Dana 44 C4. When the 1980 was about to be launched with the new Dana 44 one of the Engineers came in and realized that the C3 still had a Mechanical. So they decided that it was to late to do anything about it and they would just wait and see how many came back on warranty.
The aftermarket has no way of Engineering a shock load to a drivetrain that they don't have any control over, so it really doesn't apply to Us.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:15 AM
4SPDL81
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

I have a factory stock manly manual clutch in my '81....(that I like a lot)....Good Luck!
Old 11-20-2013, 08:40 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Back when I had a stock mechanical linkage I snapped the ball stud that holds the intermediate shaft to the engine block. I made it home, started in 1 st, got it into 2nd and rolled through a couple red lights and stop signs. Luckily it was late at night and no traffic.

My hydraulic setup has never done that.

I used factory parts: late 90's chevy pickup master, S10 slave. Kept the stock fork, connected it to the slave with a heim joint. Made my own bracket to hold the slave to the engine block & bellhousing.

The following users liked this post:
Kslongrider (04-03-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Hydraulic Clutch Conversion on a 68 4spd

Old 11-20-2013, 08:48 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

That's pretty slick Marcus! Got any pics of the master mounting? Did you reinforce the firewall any? How did it hook to the pedal? Ratio seem to work out OK? Any issues?

JIM
Old 11-20-2013, 09:07 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Amorget
What setup did you use?
I used American Powertrian's system, but if I had to do it again I would go with Keisler because their bracket that mounts to the firewall is much nicer.

Last edited by qwank; 11-20-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:37 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
That's pretty slick Marcus! Got any pics of the master mounting?
I don't have any pics. Hard to get a good angle. Mounting was simple. I drilled 2 holes for the bolts. The big hole was already there for the stock clutch rod. I had to trim off the corner for some bracket on the inside so it cleared (minor).

Did you reinforce the firewall any?
No, the McCleod RST clutch is so light that there is no firewall flex.

How did it hook to the pedal?
I cut the rod that came w/ the master and welded a threaded sleeve to it. At the other end of the sleeve I used a heim joint that hooks to the pedal. That gives me adjustability so the master has the piston in the right spot with the pedal up.

Ratio seem to work out OK? Any issues?
Ratio is good. Only issue I had was the fitting on the master to the reservoir was too close to the brake booster. I had to trim it to clear. I think it still touched or something because a few years later the fitting came loose from the master housing (it was just press fitted) and leaked. I super glued it back on and that has worked.

Quick Reply: Hydraulic Clutch Conversion on a 68 4spd