C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emblem Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Capkunu
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Emblem Mounting

Got my new set of emblems (thanks Mr Willcox!). Never mounted these before so I could use some help:

1. Gas door emblem's easy: has threads, straightforward.

2. Nose emblem: access okay, but how is it secured? With those 'speed nuts' (not included) or something else? (All the new emblems came with plastic sleeves which I ASSume are for protective purposes in shipping, not for mounting.)

3A. Side emblems ("Stingray"): how are they secured? And how do you access all of the posts to secure from the inside? I only see the forward hole from under the car when a light is shined through it.

3B: Related question: new "Stingray" emblem has 4 posts; but there are 3 holes drilled in the fiberglass (for the original/missing emblems). What would you do - drill a 4th hole in the fiberglass or grind off the lower post on the replacement?

Thanks for intelligent answers to somewhat dumb questions.

Dan G>

Last edited by Capkunu; 11-21-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:03 PM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

3B, emblem is a lot cheaper than glass and paint, cut the post.
Old 11-21-2013, 02:25 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

What model year? Installation could vary a little year to year. The AIM shows all of them.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:57 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Which is it?

There are 3 and 4 post emblems or are you just missing a hole?
http://willcoxcorvette.com/advanced_...rt=3a&&page=-1
Old 11-21-2013, 03:04 PM
woodvette03
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

nose emblem uses speed nuts. the side stingray emblem originally had black double sided tape. i retaped mine when i painted the car. didn't your new ones have tape? there is also emblem adhesive but could be messy
Old 11-21-2013, 03:53 PM
VetteNURSE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stingray emblems on my 76 take barrel clips. You can get these at a body shop supply store. Bring the emblems there are different sizes.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Capkunu
Pro

Originally Posted by petes74ttop
There are 3 and 4 post emblems or are you just missing a hole?
http://willcoxcorvette.com/advanced_...rt=3a&&page=-1
'76 - which is what I ordered. Definitely only 3 existing holes both sides. Three top holes line up fine with new emblems, but bottom post is an 'orphan.' Will take previous advice and cut off post.

Dan G>
Old 11-21-2013, 03:58 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

However you decide to secure them, you should put some adhesive or sealant on the surfaces that will mate with your paint. Otherwise, the vibrating emblem (no matter how well you secure it) will wear through the paint in some spots. That little bit of 'cushion' from the sealant/adhesive/tape will prevent the vibration and rub-thru problem. If you only have one hole in the fender, cut off the other pins on the emblem and use just that one, along with a speed-nut, to retain it together with emblem adhesive or tape.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Capkunu
Pro

Originally Posted by woodvette03
nose emblem uses speed nuts. the side stingray emblem originally had black double sided tape. i retaped mine when i painted the car. didn't your new ones have tape? there is also emblem adhesive but could be messy
No tape included in package, but I can get it. Seems the easiest way: attach tape, align posts, push emblem into panel.

Are 'speed nuts' an off the shelf [fill in blank auto store] item? Or will I have to order via interweb?

Thanks for the info!

Dan G.
Old 11-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Capkunu
Pro

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
However you decide to secure them, you should put some adhesive or sealant on the surfaces that will mate with your paint. Otherwise, the vibrating emblem (no matter how well you secure it) will wear through the paint in some spots. That little bit of 'cushion' from the sealant/adhesive/tape will prevent the vibration and rub-thru problem. If you only have one hole in the fender, cut off the other pins on the emblem and use just that one, along with a speed-nut, to retain it together with emblem adhesive or tape.
Might as well use the existing holes - one of which is accessible for a speed nut. I like the idea of using sealant more than tape.

BTW: the car's paint is so/so; will likely repaint next year. But for right now, it's acceptable - after I re-do the finish on the bumpers. So, I'm not too worried about marring an already mediocre finish.

Thanks!

Dan G>
Old 11-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Capkunu
Pro

Originally Posted by VetteNURSE
The stingray emblems on my 76 take barrel clips. You can get these at a body shop supply store. Bring the emblems there are different sizes.
Great idea. Problem is, though, I'm uncertain how to get at the backside of two of those rearward posts. Seems the panel/body blocks them somehow. Any ideas? As somebody said, the AIM shows the emblems and where they mount, but I can't discern how to access the rearward posts.

But thanks for that tip!

Dan G>
Old 11-21-2013, 04:17 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Dan,
The tape generally isn't "in the package", it should already be cut to shape and stuck to back of the Stingray script. There should be a thin vinyl sheet to peel off to expose the adhesive.
Have you checked carefully?
Regards,
Alan

There is no access to the rear most stud. The others are reached from the engine compartment reaching behind the wheel wells. Speed nuts on 2 studs will be enough to hold the script in place.

Last edited by Alan 71; 11-22-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:56 PM
Capkunu
Pro

There should be a think vinyl sheet to peel off to expose the adhesive.
Have you checked carefully?

Duh.........{insert senior moment here]....apparently not. I took another look - with reading glasses this time. Guess what? Yep. The white backing blended in with the chrome leading to an 'ASSumption.

Thanks for the heads up, Alan. That solves all my questions. The rest should be a piece of cake.

As always, I appreciate your prompt and wise replies.

Dan G>
Old 11-21-2013, 09:23 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Thanks you all for answering him. I just saw this post..

Willcox
Old 11-21-2013, 11:54 PM
Capkunu
Pro

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
Thanks you all for answering him. I just saw this post..

Willcox
And another thanks to you, sir for your frequent discount offerings to this forum. I'm new to Corvette ownership and appreciate resources like yours - not only for the parts but also for your tech info.

Look forward to doing biz again with you in the future.

Dan G>
Old 11-24-2013, 07:44 PM
Capkunu
Pro

As you can see on the left, the fender badges are on.

Dan G>

Get notified of new replies

To Emblem Mounting

Quick Reply: Emblem Mounting