C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PS Pump Pulley question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 10:52 AM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default PS Pump Pulley question

I have a 72 with PS and AC, and I've pulled the AC compessor to get it rebuilt.

The PS belt configuration changes depending on whether or not you have AC. For AC cars, the PS belt is a small 36" belt that goes around an extension on the crank pulley, and the PS pump pulley. Cars with PS and no AC use the crank pulley, and go around the fan pulley, and the PS pulley, and are 43.5".

So, now that I've taken the AC compressor off, I want to use the correct configuration for the belts, and use the longer belt. The issue is that the PS pulley now is too far forward.

My question is, before I take the PS pump out, it there a spacer of some sort on the PS pulley that once removed will allow the pulley to be lined up with the crank pulley?

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2013, 11:31 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,600 Posts

I would think you have to change the water pump or crankshaft pully to a different number of grooves. Have you checked the vendor sites for the appropriate pulley configuration for a non-ac car?
Old 11-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MelWff
I would think you have to change the water pump or crankshaft pully to a different number of grooves. Have you checked the vendor sites for the appropriate pulley configuration for a non-ac car?
The AIM shows that the same water pump pulley is used. Below is a picture of what I'm talking about.

It doesn't show anything different on the PS pump pulley, but with AC (top left) the PS pump is driven by the smaller 36" belt via an extension that goes on the crank pulley. Without AC (top right), the PS pulley is driven by a belt that goes around the crank, and water pump. The grooves in the water pump, and crank are the same grooves that would be used by the AC belt, if the car had AC.

I don't see how the PS pump pulley can line up with both the extension if the car has AC, and the forward groove on the crank, and water pump pulleys if the car does not have AC.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

I just saw the issue, the pulley that goes on the PS pump is different depending on whether the car has AC or not. I can't believe I missed that.

Now, does anyone have an idea where I could get one of those pulleys (3834720)?
Old 11-22-2013, 02:02 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Isnt this it?

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1965-1974.html
Old 11-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MelWff
Thanks. Yes, that's it.

But this is only a temporary situation, until spring when I put my rebuilt compressor back on, so I don't think I'm going to spend $100 for a pulley I'm only going to be using for a few months. I've decided to put on a belt between the crank and water pump.

Get notified of new replies

To PS Pump Pulley question

Quick Reply: PS Pump Pulley question