C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back to original

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 10:55 PM
MMJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back to original

I bought a 1969 Vette a while back with plans of restoring it to original. The car is matching numbers, but over the years someone has done some engine mods. They installed a Offenhauser Port O Sonic intake, Edelbrock valve covers, a Holley 3310-3 carb, and (I think) electronic ignition. What all will be involved in going back to stock, besides finding the parts? I have the original intake and valve covers. I wouldn't mind keeping the electronic ignition for the time being, but will it work with the stock intake? Any advice will be appreciated.
Mark
Attached Images  
Old 11-23-2013, 12:30 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I see headers as well and lots of original parts missing. Best first step is buy an NCRS judging guide and GM assembly manual for your year, check engine, heads, trans, rear end for correct components, casting numbers, date codes and finishes as well as interior and paint codes matching the trim tag info. If all checks out make a complete list of what other components are not right, buy the parts you need and rebuild, recolor and refinish them with correct finishes. Then and only then strip the engine down to a long block, clean and refinish the engine bay and install the correct components. I paid 250 for the correct tcs solenoid for my 72, Distributor shielding, alternator, starter, spark plug wire looms and shielding, fan clutch, radiator hoses, clamps, vacuum lines, Correct fasteners, all the little stuff adds up really fast and correct, useable parts are really expensive.

Last edited by 63mako; 11-23-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:30 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Mark,
I agree with Mako that you should buy the 68-69 NCRS Technical Information and Judging Guide. This will give you a lot of help in determining what parts should be replaced and also the PART NUMBERS and DATE CODES you should be looking for. This will NOT be a quick, easy, or inexpensive, job.
I also agree that you should try to accumulate the vast majority of parts you'll need before beginning the "change over". There may be a few things you'll need to continue to search, for but I'd certainly round up most parts before beginning.
This is a perfect example of how the term 'numbers matching' refers to MANY more parts than just the stamping on the engine block.
Getting this accomplished will take a big commitment on your part... so you should be sure that you want to pursue your plan of restoring it. A 69 that you like is certainly worth the effort and expense.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Old 11-23-2013, 09:22 AM
MMJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally agree, guys. I'm in the process now of restoring a 1965 Triumph Spitfire and made the mistake of tearing it all the way down without the money to quickly build it back. So now I'm almost two years into it and haven't been able to enjoy driving it this whole time. I won't make the same mistake with the Vette. I'll definitely have all the parts there before I tear it down. I can have a lot of fun with it as I'm accumulating parts, it runs great. It's a 350/350 convertible with factory side pipes. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:33 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Pssst. Pricey, but nice to have.

You will also want the 69 assembly instruction manual (AIM).

Old 11-23-2013, 11:01 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,156 Likes on 2,728 Posts

In the military we had a saying in our helicopter company...."fix-as-you-fly".

That rule kept us in the air.......we always ordered a part in advance that was "starting to go bad" so we could keep it on-board (Uncle Sam wanted to get every ounce of use out of helicopter parts). Also.....We always received an "upgraded" part before we removed the "old" part.

Now.....there was always that small problem of unscheduled bullet-holes.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:06 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MMJ
, and (I think) electronic ignition.
Looks like standard points and coil ignition to me, possibly an aftermarket bling chrome coil. I see that there is a rubber hose being used for the fuel line to the carb. This is a serious fire hazard. I'd make that #1 priority to fix.

Be aware that 'back to orignal' parts collection can be a very long and discouraging task. Many bits like an carb are easy to find if you want a generic replacement, not so much if you insist on one with the correct part number and date code. Costs rise exponentially too.

Installation is the simple bit.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:19 AM
commander_47
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I agree. Huge commitment in time and resources. A 69 is well worth the effort.

You may want to take the time to sit down with the books and crunch all the numbers. You will need to decide how far you want to go.

A complete NCRS numbers car involves a lot more numbers than just the block and chassis.

Get notified of new replies

To Back to original

Quick Reply: Back to original