C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modding Stock Gas Tank for EFI

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 01:45 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,733 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Default Modding Stock Gas Tank for EFI

I have seen several threads on doing this. Big question is whether to go w/ in-tank or external...

The external-
-when it goes- it's easy to change out

In-tank-
- fuel helps keep the pump cooler and it's quieter

I've debate both systems- but decided to go with an in-tank. I'm thinking a good quality pump should last a 100k so shouldn't have to worry about PIA replacing for a while.

The other issue was cutting and welding the tank-

I found this piece- by Aeromotve - that doesn't require any welding and just drilling a 3" hole.

I got it through Summit- had a discount and just cost me a little over $400-

So I cut a hole in my tank-

My next issue was the venting-I have a non-vented cap- and from what I have read just changing over to a vented cap (designed for a carbs) will shorten the life of the pump and cause venting issues- not to mention that gas smell.

I looked at the vent on the Aeromotive piece and the manual said the vent should be 6" above the tank and use a roll over valve. In a Vette to do this the vent would have to be a couple of inches above the rear deck!!!

So here's what I did-

I added a roll over valve- connected it to a charcoal canister ( used in GM cars for the brake vacuum line) and then an vent used in marine applications. I put the vent in the rubber neck at the gas filler. I also ended up going w/ Russel Synthetic rubber hoses to hopefully stop the permeation of the ethanol in the gas - and gas smells,

roll over valve

Vent for boat hulls-

How it's plumbed

So my thoughts- no gas smell- have a roll over valve if I am ever unfortunate to roll the car. I am also adding a Ford inertia switch to shut the fuel pump from an impact. Has a reset and was planning to mount it in the battery compartment -for easy access.

Last edited by Richard454; 01-14-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 04:31 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Looks great! When will you be firing that V12 beast to life?!?!

The Aeromotive Phantom fuel system is a great and easy solution to this common EFI conversion problem, and they make top quality stuff. The specs on that pump are kick-***!

Old 11-30-2013, 05:18 PM
Retro78
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great information, thanks for posting this. Are you sure that is a 3 inch hole, looks a lot larger than that in the pic. Anyway, great seatup
Old 11-30-2013, 06:29 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

Does the fuel pump get pushed to the lowest area of the tank or drop strait down into that 3" hole ?

I just went to fuel injection on my 1980 , I used the 1982 sending unit which places the pump and pick up in the correct location for an in tank pump.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:12 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 801 Likes on 549 Posts

Would that unit just drop into a 78 tank with a round sending unit? Same question regarding the '82 unit. I was thinking along those lines since the plumbing would be pretty simple. I'll be watching this thread for more info. Richard454, thanks for the info, especially since my tank is out and I am getting ready to start putting this mess all back together.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:14 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

You couldn't use the original tank venting? Your tank had to vent somewhere to use the non-vented cap.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been thinking about all sorts of solutions for my EFI 1979, but due to the internal bladder these tanks have, a solution like that will not work, unfortunately.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:42 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

"My next issue was the venting-I have a non-vented cap- and from what I have read just changing over to a vented cap (designed for a carbs) will shorten the life of the pump and cause venting issues-"

I'm trying to understand how the pump's life could be shortened by using a vented cap? The pump doesn't know where/how the venting is accomplished as long as the venting has the capacity of preventing a vacuum in the tank?

I'm actually looking at this exact same pump (kit) for my 69' that I want to convert to EFI and had the same concerns regarding the routing and location of the tank vent.
Since I have a vented cap already, I was just planning on using that and blocking the 'vent' port on the kit.
Is there any reason why this wouldn't work?
Elm

Get notified of new replies

To Modding Stock Gas Tank for EFI

Quick Reply: Modding Stock Gas Tank for EFI