C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Engine - Missing Intake/Accessories - What do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 02:22 AM
mmesa005
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LS1 Engine - Missing Intake/Accessories - What do I need?

I was able to trade the engine/transmission out of my 74 for this 2000 LS1 from a Corvette. Unfortunately no accessories were included. Is there a resource that shows what I need to obtain to have the engine in running order? I know at a high level I need the following but what else?

1. Intake Manifold with throttle body, fuel rail, injectors ?
  2. Exhaust manifolds - F-Body Camaro/F-Bird - Corvette?
  3. Wiring Harness / PCM - I expect to purchase these from PSI or similar
  4. Flex Plate to attach 4L60E
  5. Coils, Spark Plug Wires
  6. Water Pump
  7. Alternator
  8. P/S Pump
  9. A/C Pump
  10. Brackets - F-Body or After market specific for LSx Swap
  11. ????

Thanks!
Attached Images   
Old 12-04-2013, 02:58 AM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Hate to tell you this, but starting with a longblock and piecing together what you need is probably the most expensive way to approach an LS swap.
How sure are you that a 13 year old motor is in really good shape?
If you source all the stuff you listed separately, plus a list just as long for things you left out, you could buy another complete liftout.
One problem is you're missing a lot of electrical stuff. With the exception of injectors, not many remove used electrical components unless they're bad. That means you'll source new.
So:
F body FEAD $800
Crank pulley $100
Starter $125
Injectors (used) $150
Coils $400
Intake, TB, rail (used) $150
Sensors (MAF, TB, Crank, Cam, IAT, ECT, O2, IAC, etc ) $500
Get the picture?

Last edited by Garys 68; 12-04-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:34 PM
mmesa005
Instructor

Originally Posted by Garys 68
Hate to tell you this, but starting with a longblock and piecing together what you need is probably the most expensive way to approach an LS swap.
How sure are you that a 13 year old motor is in really good shape?
If you source all the stuff you listed separately, plus a list just as long for things you left out, you could buy another complete liftout.
One problem is you're missing a lot of electrical stuff. With the exception of injectors, not many remove used electrical components unless they're bad. That means you'll source new.
So:
F body FEAD $800
Crank pulley $100
Starter $125
Injectors (used) $150
Coils $400
Intake, TB, rail (used) $150
Sensors (MAF, TB, Crank, Cam, IAT, ECT, O2, IAC, etc ) $500
Get the picture?
I am thinking the same. I was told the engine was recently pulled from a 2000 Corvette that was rear ended. Has @ 65k miles on it.

It may be more cost effective to get a complete drop out engine/transmission from eBay and sell this. I was excited that I got it in trade for my 350 as most valued that engine at a few hundred dollars at most. The previous owner was supposed to hook me up with a resource who would sell me all of the engine accessories for $200 but that seems to have fizzled as well and thus my investigation into costs for components.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:25 PM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the 2000 Vette had the "winged" oil pan, way different than the one in your pic. The first thing I would check on an older LS aluminum block is the starter mounting area - for cracks. Common when using the one short bolt starter. I am with Gary, unless you really spend a lot of time waiting and shopping around for parts, it could nickle and dime you to death. You would also need a MAF, O2 sensors, fuel system, ect.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:49 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

The balancer is not a C5 LS1 balancer. It might be a LS1 from a F-body or GTO.

I'd recommend you contact Marc to find out what the parts you need will cost.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...enuts-net.html

Last edited by lionelhutz; 12-04-2013 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:39 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I've seen people put a normal intake and carb on those. What do they do for ignition? Still need the computer because no distributor? Or could a distributor still stab down through the new N/A intake and gear in? If you could do that it would save money and still make great power,

Last edited by minitech; 12-04-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:52 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by minitech
I've seen people put a normal intake and carb on those. What do they do for ignition? Still need the computer because no distributor? Or could a distributor still stab down through the new N/A intake and gear in? If you could do that it would save money and still make great power,
I wouldn't know if that is possible on a 2000 engine---In his case--I would hope so....and I would find SOME way to get spark to the plugs.

(My 1993 350SBC was easy to convert to HEI & Carb in my '36 truck.)
Old 12-04-2013, 10:10 PM
myko
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
The balancer is not a C5 LS1 balancer. It might be a LS1 from a F-body or GTO.

I'd recommend you contact Marc to find out what the parts you need will cost.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...enuts-net.html
It looks like a GTO setup to me. I bought a 2006 GTO engine/tranny lift out and it has the same style of oil pan. You have to swap the pan and sump so that the steering components will fit. That will be another $100-200.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:43 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Originally Posted by myko
It looks like a GTO setup to me. I bought a 2006 GTO engine/tranny lift out and it has the same style of oil pan. You have to swap the pan and sump so that the steering components will fit. That will be another $100-200.
If that's a GTO pan then I recommend you check the head and block casting numbers to see what the engine is. It could be an LS2.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:08 PM
garygnu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can put a distributor on a ls motor ,some one sells a timing chain cover that mounts a ford distributor to the front of the motor .elderbrock sells a intake / ignition system for ls motors ,you can pick a single or dual plane intake . ls1tech is a great place to find used parts for a ls motor .check Texas Speed for parts also.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:46 PM
mmesa005
Instructor

To answer some of the questions asked (along with the much appreciated advice!).

Before embarking on this adventure I considered going with a 383 Stroker/ 700R4 Combo. After opening a thread for advice from others it was close to a 50/50 split on LS1 or 383. I decided I would go LS1 as I wanted to realize the benefits of Fuel Injection and have a more modern power train package, not to mention the grin factor when opening the hood to show off the LSx!

With that said yes you can put a carburetor on the LS1 and control the spark. See here (mind I am no expert, this is just form the research I have done).

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...sc_conversion/

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/...ls1_carb_swap/

http://www.msdignition.com/product.aspx?id=6893

The engine is a 2000 LS1 from a Corvette
or so I believe as I checked the engine/cylinder head part numbers and from the information provided by the previous owner.
See my thread where I asked for confirmation of what engine I have

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...ne-i-have.html

From a cost standpoint I believe it will cost the same purchasing the needed components to put the LS1 back to it's original form vs. purchasing a manifold, carb, ignition from Edelbrock? If all else fails as noted above I can look to purchase a complete drop out package from eBay. My preference is to build on what I have IF I can find the components at reasonable prices. Interestingly the person I purchased the motor from was going the carburetor route so I am hoping to find others going that route that are looking to sell their accessories / Intake assemblies.

Last edited by mmesa005; 12-04-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:11 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Originally Posted by mmesa005
See my thread where I asked for confirmation of what engine I have

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...ne-i-have.html
You could have posted that.

Regardless, that was not pulled from a Vette. It may have come from the factory in a Vette but I'd bet money it was pulled from a GTO or 4th Gen. Being used as a replacement in another car hints at it coming from a car the owner flogged enough to hurt engines and require multiple engine swaps. Being stripped of all accessories hints at the likely hood that all the accessories were used from that engine on the one which replaced it. Possibly, the replacement was build using an aftermarket block or starting with a bare block and aftermarket internals and heads which meant it came with no accessories. So, I'd recommend you check that one carefully to ensure it's healthy before installing it. You may have gotten lucky and it was swapped for something stronger and with more power before it was hurt.

As for you other thread. All C5's were DBW. The LS1 never made 385hp from the factory in any C5. And no you won't get 385hp by using a LS6 intake or 405hp by using a LS6 intake and cam.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:29 AM
mmesa005
Instructor

You could have posted that.

Regardless, that was not pulled from a Vette. It may have come from the factory in a Vette but I'd bet money it was pulled from a GTO or 4th Gen. Being used as a replacement in another car hints at it coming from a car the owner flogged enough to hurt engines and require multiple engine swaps. Being stripped of all accessories hints at the likely hood that all the accessories were used from that engine on the one which replaced it. Possibly, the replacement was build using an aftermarket block or starting with a bare block and aftermarket internals and heads which meant it came with no accessories. So, I'd recommend you check that one carefully to ensure it's healthy before installing it. You may have gotten lucky and it was swapped for something stronger and with more power before it was hurt.

As for you other thread. All C5's were DBW. The LS1 never made 385hp from the factory in any C5. And no you won't get 385hp by using a LS6 intake or 405hp by using a LS6 intake and cam.

Sorry about leaving out the other thread info. I was trying not to turn that thread into more than what it's initially intended.

All you say can be true. I expected the previous owner to be honest and forthcoming with information

How would you recommend I assess the engine's condition? Are there some initial tests/inspections I can do without having to take it to someone else?

I think we should rename this thread to CF CSI of a purported LS1!

Thanks again!
Old 12-05-2013, 02:44 AM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

fyi
The pan and crank pulley look like F body, not corvette. Definitely not a gto pan, they have a front sump. So unless someone went to the expense and trouble to swap them, you were already lied to.
With what you have, going carbed with distributor or MSD box will cost even more than efi.
If you buy everything you need to get it going, then find out the engine needs internals, you will find out you would have been ahead if you just bought a new erod or crate engine.
Honestly, my guess, you have a worn out 13 year old f body motor that no one wanted. There are more than a few examples of that here and at LS1tech.
And on the other thread, LS1 to LS6 requires cam, intake, etc....and the hp gain is only in the 5000+ rpm range. That will add several hundred more to your build on a potentially worn out motor.

Sorry about leaving out the other thread info. I was trying not to turn that thread into more than what it's initially intended.

All you say can be true. I expected the previous owner to be honest and forthcoming with information

How would you recommend I assess the engine's condition? Are there some initial tests/inspections I can do without having to take it to someone else?

I think we should rename this thread to CF CSI of a purported LS1!

Thanks again!

Last edited by Garys 68; 12-05-2013 at 03:34 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:11 PM
mmesa005
Instructor

Originally Posted by Garys 68
fyi
The pan and crank pulley look like F body, not corvette. Definitely not a gto pan, they have a front sump. So unless someone went to the expense and trouble to swap them, you were already lied to.
With what you have, going carbed with distributor or MSD box will cost even more than efi.
If you buy everything you need to get it going, then find out the engine needs internals, you will find out you would have been ahead if you just bought a new erod or crate engine.
Honestly, my guess, you have a worn out 13 year old f body motor that no one wanted. There are more than a few examples of that here and at LS1tech.
And on the other thread, LS1 to LS6 requires cam, intake, etc....and the hp gain is only in the 5000+ rpm range. That will add several hundred more to your build on a potentially worn out motor.
Agreed.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:08 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

How would you recommend I assess the engine's condition?
Leak down test
Compression test (need flex plate and starter)
Check oil pressure when cranking it
Bore scope in cylinders
Pull valve covers and take a look at the upper end of the valve train
Take it all apart and measure parts
Old 12-05-2013, 09:35 PM
mmesa005
Instructor

Leak down test
Compression test (need flex plate and starter)
Check oil pressure when cranking it
Bore scope in cylinders
Pull valve covers and take a look at the upper end of the valve train
Take it all apart and measure parts
Then it will have to go to the engine shop!

Get notified of new replies

To LS1 Engine - Missing Intake/Accessories - What do I need?

Old 12-05-2013, 11:15 PM
garygnu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is a f-body oil pan .what are the head casting numbers ?check the rocker are bearings for any slop.if you want a little more power ,consider the GM ASA cam .Frost on ls1tech dose great mail order tunes for a good price .get a ECM and wiring harness for a 2000 f-body .a ls6 intake is $300 ,or consider a BBK or weiand aluminum intake .check the used parts section at ls1tech .
Old 12-05-2013, 11:21 PM
mmesa005
Instructor

Originally Posted by garygnu
that is a f-body oil pan .what are the head casting numbers ?check the rocker are bearings for any slop.if you want a little more power ,consider the GM ASA cam .Frost on ls1tech dose great mail order tunes for a good price .get a ECM and wiring harness for a 2000 f-body .a ls6 intake is $300 ,or consider a BBK or weiand aluminum intake .check the used parts section at ls1tech .
garygnu,

I have looked at the parts for sale section at the LS1Tech site. The good stuff sells fast! See the photo for the cylinder head numbers.

Thanks for the recommendations!
Attached Images   

Last edited by mmesa005; 12-05-2013 at 11:24 PM. Reason: add photos
Old 12-06-2013, 10:01 AM
greg75vette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

853s That's what I have on my '00 Firebird pull out. This is the 305hp variant.

Last edited by greg75vette; 12-06-2013 at 10:05 AM. Reason: I can typing!

Quick Reply: LS1 Engine - Missing Intake/Accessories - What do I need?