C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motive Brake Bleeder won't seal

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 09:36 PM
79vetter
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Motive Brake Bleeder won't seal

Has anyone else had trouble getting it to seal on the MC? It very slowly loses pressure after I pump it up. I have the newest one with the metal plate on top. I have a C-Clamp and have tried it with and without a 2x4 on top. I have tried lower pressure and higher pressure w/ the C-Clamp on the M/C.
Any other suggestions?
Old 12-07-2013, 09:49 PM
rafalc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the same thing as you, 2x4 on top and C clamp in the center. At first I was losing pressure until I tightened the C clamp more
Old 12-07-2013, 10:02 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

Just wondering......did the adapter have any kind of sealing gasket?
Old 12-07-2013, 10:23 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 882 Likes on 767 Posts

Default I use a home made rubber gasket......

from on old inner tube on my home-made bleeder, with a metal plate, and a c-clamp. I can pressurize that thing as high as I want and it won't leak as long as I set it up properly.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:10 AM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You can put a flat sealing surface on the master cylinder with a hand file by keeping it flat on both sides of the cylinder while filing. Make sure you get ALL the shavings out before you fill with fluid. I resurface all new cylinders on my head resurfacer while they are still dry and pressure clean them afterward. PITA but takes less time than fighting with one that has a poor seal. Also helps for a better seal with the cover.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:58 AM
pltmgr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 360 Likes on 216 Posts

All my adapters have a rubber sealing surface on them.. I always use clamp/clamps. Had a non Vette new master cylinder one time that wouldn't seal (leaked fluid from top as well).
Placed in upside down on a piece of sandpaper on a solid level surface and moved it in a circular motion. No more leaking.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by carriljc
from on old inner tube on my home-made bleeder, with a metal plate, and a c-clamp. I can pressurize that thing as high as I want and it won't leak as long as I set it up properly.
I did similar. Just a hunk of 1/4 inch flat plate steel. Drilled and tapped with a fitting and a rubber seal. C clamp and I can pressurize it with whatever psi I want. Never failed me yet.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:36 AM
4SPDL81
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

I had to fit 3 Bessey woodworker clamps on the plate in order to get a good seal...however, too much clamping force and it would not seal...not enough clamping pressure and it would leak...somewhere in between was just right....Once I had a good seal, bleeding the calipers was easy and I now have a firm brake pedal....The Motive Power bleeder is a good unit but the aggravation factor for getting it to work properly is certainly way up there....
Old 12-08-2013, 10:44 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

Just to add to what the others have already said, I've never had much luck with a single c-clamp, even with the 2X4 added. Two clamps just work better even with the new aluminum plate adapter. The Motive is a great tool but certainly not without limitations.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:50 PM
79vetter
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went and bought a 2nd C-Clamp to have 2 on there at once and it still has that slow leak.

Can I still bleed the brakes even if there is a slow leak?

Last edited by 79vetter; 12-08-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:41 PM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a hose/wire clamp on the firewall right above and behind the mc. Mine wouldn't seal until I bent it enough to push the adapter back about 1/4 inch. Once I did that it sealed great even with the old chain and bolts. I haven't tried it with the c clamp yet but I think it might work better with one clamp over each reservoir.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:18 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by goliath1
I went and bought a 2nd C-Clamp to have 2 on there at once and it still has that slow leak.

Can I still bleed the brakes even if there is a slow leak?
Yes. Just won't be quite as fast and you'll have to get up and pump it more often.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:18 AM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had good luck with mine. Here is my setup.

But, this pic was taken while trying their chain and wingnut setup. I later bought a second screw clamp and never had a seal problem.

I always made sure each clamp is centered over each MC reservoir.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:14 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
Yes. Just won't be quite as fast and you'll have to get up and pump it more often.
DuffMan's pic reminded me of a qualifier for my above "yes."

If you put brake fluid in your Motive, then the answer is no. The air will leak out and the fluid will overflow. I use my Motive without fluid and just keep topping off the fluid in the M/C. You have to make sure that you never run the reservoir dry but at least leaks become an annoyance rather than a disaster.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:55 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

The C Clamp has to be TIGHT. I pump the unit to 7-8 pounds. Yet there have been instances where I thought it was sealed up good and it leaked down on the frame and onto the floor before I caught it. Now I fabracated a "catch box" made up of cardboard and paper towels under the MC and view it frequently during the bleeding process.

Get notified of new replies

To Motive Brake Bleeder won't seal

Quick Reply: Motive Brake Bleeder won't seal