C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mechanical newbie w/brake rotor questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 11:49 PM
SciVette
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Mechanical newbie w/brake rotor questions

Hi all-

I have a '80 that I'm replacing all brake calipers, rubber hoses, and fluid on. Looks like PO installed two newer calipers at some point, but I have 1 old and 1 newer both front and back- want to start from scratch due to poor brake system maintenance and pulling to one side (old front caliper leaking and one piston stuck closed).

Question is this. I thought rotors were riveted to hubs front and back? My fronts are not attached (and of course I took them off without marking position in my ignorance- found no shims though). Do these look original? I see no rivet spots. Perhaps the rotors and hubs both have been replaced?

When I begin reassembly can I clean up and paint the parts first- brake shield, hubs (taping off threads), rotors (perhaps taping off caliper contact patch or not?) Will caliper paint work well or something else? I assume I'll need to use a dial caliper to check runout since I didn't mark my position... (Never noted wobble or pulsing prior to disassemble.)

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer. This is the largest job I've tackled singlehandedly thus far.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:40 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Stock rotors (all four) were riveted to their respective hubs. At the least, it appears your fronts have been replaced in the past.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:24 PM
Ely
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Stock rotors (all four) were riveted to their respective hubs. At the least, it appears your fronts have been replaced in the past.

Mike:
You are more often than not correct but... in this case I'll challange you. I may be wrong but, I don't recall my fronts being riveted. The backs were for sure.
Note: the rear rotors will only go on one way and still have the ability to adjust the park brake.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:00 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Ely
...I don't recall my fronts being riveted...
Note the rivets.

1981 production at St. Louis sometime after 12/8/80 (frame stencil).

Once upon a time your car had riveted front rotors.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:59 PM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

""When I begin reassembly can I clean up and paint the parts first- brake shield, hubs (taping off threads), rotors (perhaps taping off caliper contact patch or not?) Will caliper paint work well or something else? I assume I'll need to use a dial caliper to check runout since I didn't mark my position... (Never noted wobble or pulsing prior to disassemble.)""

Hey Sci..... when i did my 79 several years ago the oem front rotors had already had the rivets removed at sometime but the holes are there. i replaced the front caliper pistons with oring style. they were already SS sleeved. i painted everything before reassembly, just dont paint the rotor pad surface face, i used engine enamel (black) and has held up fine, you cant see them anyway with the oem alum. wheels. I checked my rotor run out with a dial indicator/ magnetic base. i had to shim the driver side a little as i remember but i dont know how much now, passenger side was within specs. Bleed the lines good and you should be fine. goodluck......
Old 12-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Ely
Mike:
You are more often than not correct but... in this case I'll challange you. I may be wrong but, I don't recall my fronts being riveted. The backs were for sure.
Note: the rear rotors will only go on one way and still have the ability to adjust the park brake.
No C3 Corvette was built without rotors being riveted to the hubs or spindles. This would have made the final operation of machining the rotors faces to eliminate runout impossible.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:59 AM
SciVette
Pro

Thanks for the info. Bought a complete set of o-ring, sleeved calipers and soft lines from VB&P. I'm going to try to get a number of little things done in addition while all 4 wheels are off.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:42 AM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by SciVette
Thanks for the info. Bought a complete set of o-ring, sleeved calipers and soft lines from VB&P. I'm going to try to get a number of little things done in addition while all 4 wheels are off.
Are you sending your old ones back as cores? I did with the front pair and was never refunded the core charge for one, they said the other was beyond repair.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 453 Likes on 353 Posts

You HAVE to use a dial indicator to check run out while installed on the car.
No matter if they are riveted or not, they could still be out, and that is the root of most c3 brake problelms.
Use the brake runout correction plates from Napa, Rockauto, etc. to correct if needed.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:39 AM
SciVette
Pro

All four cores sent to VB&P for refund. What's the general time-frame for their turnaround? I've read previous forum threads in which people say they sometimes drag their heels. I had them hold my new calipers until I sent the old ones to avoid the extra core charges.

Any place to borrow a dial indicator (loaner tool)? Already checked my local Pep Boys w/no luck. Or a place to purchase at a reasonable "I"ll only use it once every three years" cost?
Old 12-20-2013, 06:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by SciVette
Any place to borrow a dial indicator (loaner tool)? Already checked my local Pep Boys w/no luck. Or a place to purchase at a reasonable "I"ll only use it once every three years" cost?
Oreilly's may have one you can rent and return and get your money back. Maybe a NAPA in your area has one you can rent. Harbor Freight, Wholesale Tool They should be readily available in your area.

I do not use one with a magnetic base...because they are really hard to get to hold correctly and such. I got tired of getting it to be a solid foundation for measurement....so I have modified a "C" clamp and attach my dial indicator to it and I can basically clamp it anywhere on the trailing arm or front spindle and check run-out of the rotors or real wheel bearings when I can setting them up.

DUB
Old 12-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
No C3 Corvette was built without rotors being riveted to the hubs or spindles. This would have made the final operation of machining the rotors faces to eliminate runout impossible.
This is correct...The OP has had his rotors replaced sometime in the past and is now a simple front wheel drive hubless style rotors that merely slip on the hubs

No worry, the wheels hold the rotors now
Old 12-22-2013, 07:01 AM
Teem66
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for the off topic but in Mike's picture (post # 4), does anyone know if (when they were placed on the gas tank) that was the usual location of the build sheet?
Old 12-22-2013, 08:42 AM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

Good time to run enough brake fluid through the system while bleeding to get fresh fluid everywhere.

Ralph
Old 12-22-2013, 09:06 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,175 Likes on 2,737 Posts

Rotors and hubs can be machined separately within .001" total run-out.....but the process takes longer. To cut cost, GM "finish-machined" the hub-rotor while riveted together saving themselves two extra machining steps.....and lots of money over the decades.

The C-clamp idea holding the dial indicator in place is a great idea....and even a cheap dial indicator is good enough/pays for itself the 1st time (may as well buy a 6" digital measuring caliper while you are getting the dial indicator (once you learn how to measure with them, your repairs/mods will be easier to do....FYI---back in the day----digital measuring calipers originally cost $300 each!)

Thanks Men for all the info...this rookie has a "break"-job on the to-do list......LOL.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:11 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Teem66
Sorry for the off topic but in Mike's picture (post # 4), does anyone know if (when they were placed on the gas tank) that was the usual location of the build sheet?
Sent you a PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Teem66
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Rotors and hubs can be machined separately within .001" total run-out.....but the process takes longer. To cut cost, GM "finish-machined" the hub-rotor while riveted together saving themselves two extra machining steps.....and lots of money over the decades.

The C-clamp idea holding the dial indicator in place is a great idea....and even a cheap dial indicator is good enough/pays for itself the 1st time (may as well buy a 6" digital measuring caliper while you are getting the dial indicator (once you learn how to measure with them, your repairs/mods will be easier to do....FYI---back in the day----digital measuring calipers originally cost $300 each!)

Thanks Men for all the info...this rookie has a "break"-job on the to-do list......LOL.
Does anyone know of a National store (Menike, Firestone, Tuffy, etc.) that does on the car rotor turning and have you had good results from the process?
Old 12-22-2013, 04:21 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Teem66
Does anyone know of a National store (Menike, Firestone, Tuffy, etc.) that does on the car rotor turning and have you had good results from the process?
No..I do not. But the fronts can be done as an assembly. AS for the rear rotors...IF you find a place that can do them on the car...I would make sure that the half-shaft was as level as possible so you do not run into binding up the universal joints while it is turning.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Mechanical newbie w/brake rotor questions

Quick Reply: Mechanical newbie w/brake rotor questions