C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cs144 alternator wiring modifications

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 09:30 PM
7t6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cs144 alternator wiring modifications

I just purchased a new cs144 alternator to upgrade my stock one, as recommended by a few members here on the forum.

I searched the archives for what I need to do to beef up the stock wiring, and can't get a straight step by step answer from past postings. Which wires do I need to upgrade? Which wires do I need to add a fuse too? What size fuse do I need? Does anyone have a step by step guide for this upgrade? Thanks for all the help!
Old 12-21-2013, 09:38 PM
TPI BOY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t6
I just purchased a new cs144 alternator to upgrade my stock one, as recommended by a few members here on the forum.

I searched the archives for what I need to do to beef up the stock wiring, and can't get a straight step by step answer from past postings. Which wires do I need to upgrade? Which wires do I need to add a fuse too? What size fuse do I need? Does anyone have a step by step guide for this upgrade? Thanks for all the help!
Old 12-21-2013, 09:49 PM
MakoJoe
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am going to guess you installed a stereo system that requires a higher output alternator and the only wiring you will need to upgrade is the wiring to your new stereo system. The rest of the wiring of the car probably does need to be upgraded unless you attempt to connect this new system to anything but the battery.

I installed an AMP and SUB Woofer in my 1977 and I used a kit from Sousche to install the wiring and pulled all my stuff to the battery box in the cubby. I did not hook my amp into my wire harness and wired it all to my battery. There should be a lead from your head unit to turn the AMP on and off every time you turn the head unit on and these wires should be run on the opposite side of the tranny tunnel as the speaker wires so you do not get noise into the speakers.

Last edited by MakoJoe; 12-21-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:57 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Default Give me a minute....

I posted instructions here before....I'll go find them and post them again.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:06 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Default ok follow this thread....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...version-2.html

take note of how to measure the resistance in the circuit so you can figure out which adapter to make ( my post #27).
Old 12-21-2013, 10:29 PM
7t6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed dual electric fans and will be upgrading the stereo system in the future. I'm just not sure which wires on the old setup I need to upgrade.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:02 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Default Look at your wiring diagram.....

There should already be fusible links from the designated distribution center. On my 68 loads were distributed from the Horn Relay connections. The fusible links will work to save your wiring if you attempt to overload the circuits.

When I got my CS-144 I got it at junkyard since I was only buying to it to see if it fit, so I grabbed the output lead from it while I was there.
I'm guessing that it's about 6-gauge and it goes from the alternator to the horn relay "bus".

If you install fusible links to your loads (or fuses), then the main lead from the alternator should be the one you need to replace.

There is a person on here who will send you a wiring diagram if you ask him.....just do a search and email him for your year.

Get notified of new replies

To Cs144 alternator wiring modifications

Quick Reply: Cs144 alternator wiring modifications