C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cleaning vacuum hoses/grommets

Old 12-23-2013, 09:02 AM
riverracer au
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 177 Posts

Default cleaning vacuum hoses/grommets

silly question time...
most of the firewall grommets will be replaced during the clean up of the 72's engine bay
except the heater control vacuum hose grommet, sits along side the ac harness grommet, which is actually molded to the hoses when it's made.
and it has a larger firewall hole size than the others, so it will need to be reused.
so, what is best to use to clean off the bitumen/tar sealant gunk from the hoses?
have been using mineral turps on the firewall, but will that be safe for the old rubber of the grommet and hose

Old 12-23-2013, 09:07 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Rookie answer: I would think that any original grommet needs to have some type of rubber conditioner/restorer rubbed into it to put some flexibility/"oil" back into the material.....(I don't have any product names, sorry)
Old 12-23-2013, 09:29 AM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 224 Posts

ahhh...you mean this vac hose grommet?

1968-1982 Corvette vacuum hose firewall grommet - fits into firewall and headlight vacuum hoses are routed through the rubber grommet. Often times a butyl sealer is used in addition to seal the grommets and hoses into the firewall to prevent air leaks into passenger compartment.

Difficulty with this grommet is the hoses are passed through it so while it may appear to be a "molded" unit it's not. Pulling the lines and wiping them down with some watery dish soap will help the install.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:04 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Use lacquer thinner on a clean cloth to wipe down vacuum hoses, electrical wire insulation, and other rubber/plastic parts in the engine bay. When clean, use another clean cloth to wipe on a coating (or two) of Nu-Vinyl or other polymer protectant (like Meguiar's for plastics). It will put a clear gloss coating on the surface of whatever it is wiped on. It dries completely, will not peel or chip. I use it for my interior and tires, as well. Greatest stuff ever made.

If you can't find Nu-Vinyl in auto parts stores, you can 'special' order it from Tru-Value or Ace Hardware stores. Or you can buy over the internet.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:10 PM
redrdstr72
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Use lacquer thinner on a clean cloth to wipe down vacuum hoses, electrical wire insulation, and other rubber/plastic parts in the engine bay. When clean, use another clean cloth to wipe on a coating (or two) of Nu-Vinyl or other polymer protectant (like Meguiar's for plastics). It will put a clear gloss coating on the surface of whatever it is wiped on. It dries completely, will not peel or chip. I use it for my interior and tires, as well. Greatest stuff ever made.

If you can't find Nu-Vinyl in auto parts stores, you can 'special' order it from Tru-Value or Ace Hardware stores. Or you can buy over the internet.

While I would agree that lacquer thinner will quickly clean hoses and grommets, I offer a strong word of caution. Be aware that lacquer thinner will instantly remove ALL identifying printed or painted stripes, part numbers, etc from hoses and other rubber parts too. Vacuum hoses have colored stripes to identify their application.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:35 PM
riverracer au
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Fred
ahhh...you mean this vac hose grommet?
i've bought a couple of that size, but they are not correct, too small.
the only site that i have seen them on is the dr's., and they dont have any stock.

from reading they are molded on the hose as the assy is made.

will just try and clean best i can.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:47 PM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by riverracer au
i've bought a couple of that size, but they are not correct, too small.
the only site that i have seen them on is the dr's., and they dont have any stock.

from reading they are molded on the hose as the assy is made.

will just try and clean best i can.
Is that the one that runs below and just to the passenger side of the wiper motor?

Get notified of new replies

To cleaning vacuum hoses/grommets

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cleaning vacuum hoses/grommets