C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Question (Heater/AC Fan)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 01:34 AM
71LS5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Electrical Question (Heater/AC Fan)

Hi,
I am having to hook up some of my Heater/AC control wires but my Haynes, Factory Assembly manual schematics are not very clear. I need some help from you if you can please.

What color wire is directly connected to the heater/AC blower motor fan? I know its either Orange or Purple from several schematics but its not clear. Its a 1971 LS5.

Is it this one from the main harness from the drivers side? If not what does this one get connected to?

Or is it from this cable I removed?

Because of the connector type on this cable (does this cable have a name?) I can either connected it to the motor (same connecter as top pic Female which mated to the male motor spade) or to a purple wire Female that looks like that also could connect to the fan blower motor.

I believe there was a factory "cut" on the orange wire for AC equipped cars as shown below from the factory assembly manual. It looks like the purple wire is connected to the blower motor. If so how does the wire assembly above get used?

Thanks in advance for your help and Merry Christmas
Old 12-24-2013, 07:17 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Connect a voltmeter to the orange wire with the key OFF---turn the key to the ON position---Is there any voltage?

If not.......turn the blower switch on----any voltage now?

If so, it could be the blower supply wire.

Maybe the black wire with the in-line condenser is to prevent radio static on the ground connector?
Old 12-24-2013, 07:51 AM
Hammerhead Fred
Melting Slicks

Received 264 Likes on 225 Posts

Believe the orange blower power line is part of the main ignition harness intended for non-A/C cars.
The purple line is part of the separate A/C harness.
The purple power line is used on A/C equipped cars.
The purple line comes off the A/C relay & blower resistor.
It then connects to the black leader with the noise suppressor in your second photo.
The black leader then connects to the blower positive/hot terminal.

Notice in your AIM the orange connector is cut off & the black ground wrapped with it is used (ground). The purple is then connected to the motor though the A/C harness should have provision for a separate ground wire.

I'd simply ignore the orange connector vs cutting it off.

Are you installing a replacement harness or is that the original?

Last edited by Hammerhead Fred; 12-24-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:42 PM
71LS5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Fred I think your right on spot here. The wire harness is new and I have been wrapped up in engine work and had disconnected the wires quite a long time ago. I have not used the Orange wire but am using the GND wire from that harness to the GND lug on the motor. Then using the Purple wire as described above by you to control the fan. Looks right. Will check it when I bring power to the system some time in the distant future

Thanks again for helping me think through this.

Old 12-25-2013, 10:29 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

On a/c cars you don't use the Orange wire.. you use the AC jumper harness that comes out of the console of the car.

The black wire is the noise capacitor.. you plug this into the motor, and then into the factory ac harness. You can't miss it either, there is only one plug on the a/c harness it will plug in to.

In this picture you can see where the a/c harness routed through the firewall...

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 12-25-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical Question (Heater/AC Fan)

Quick Reply: Electrical Question (Heater/AC Fan)