C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side pipes, what do ya think?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 04:52 PM
Franks73
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Side pipes, what do ya think?

Planning to put headers and side pipes on a 73 w/ 383 stroker. What fits well? What mufflers? Do you like them on the hightway? Thanks for your input Vette fans!
Old 12-29-2013, 06:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Franks73
Planning to put headers and side pipes on a 73 w/ 383 stroker. What fits well? What mufflers? Do you like them on the hightway? Thanks for your input Vette fans!
All I can advise is that you really research this out. Before you go with it. There are several reasons. Not stating that you do not already know this...but just in case.

1.) Make sure that who ever you buy headers from..the flange plate is as thick as possible so this will give the headers strength when mounted to the cylinder heads. You get what you pay for.

2.) Spark plug wire routing may change..along with the ends that attach to the spark plugs and you might want to invest in the "socks" that protect the end of the wires from the heat from the tubes.

3.) Very good gaskets should be used and some of the "trick" header bolts would be wise so that get locked into place when tightened.

4.) You might also want to drive your car for a while before you do this and take infra-red temp readings on the frame, fuel lines and starter, floorboards, etc. If the car still has factory cast manifolds...you might be surprised on how much hotter things can get from the headers...even those that have a heat coating on them. Just a thought.

I have several customers who have them on their Corvettes...and they love them. I personally would not have anything but a factory style of side exhaust with the covers so my wife would not burn her leg getting out of the car....but that is just me.

DUB
Old 12-29-2013, 06:49 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

Keep in mind the noise is now below your ear , so that will have an effect and if you baffle it down to accommodate noise your choking off the motor.

Look at vendor sale section , XS Power has a set , also look at the XS Power stainless headers in case you decide to go full exhaust.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:10 PM
jman1
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the stock 69 sidepipes on my 77.... I love them.. have from the first day... ordering at the drive thru isn't much fun though
Old 12-30-2013, 12:05 AM
bluegtp
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Here's this to keep in mind if you go with obx pipes. I have yet to hear from obx on this issue. Th store I purchased them from (super saver accessories) will not refund or stand behind their product.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...oing-this.html

That being said.....I have classic chambered inserts. I like them. Good sound and loud at wot.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:04 AM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by bluegtp
Here's this to keep in mind if you go with obx pipes. I have yet to hear from obx on this issue. Th store I purchased them from (super saver accessories) will not refund or stand behind their product.

That being said.....I have classic chambered inserts. I like them. Good sound and loud at wot.

From one Louisianaian to another...LOOKING AND SOUNDING GOOD!!!
Old 12-30-2013, 09:15 AM
pltmgr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 360 Likes on 216 Posts

A PO installed Hooker Header chrome side pipes on my 68 BB. Very happy with the look and sound. Burning bare legs is an issue. I have factory style side pipes on my 66 SB.
In my opinion, side pipes do not enhance the highway driving experience, but I'm at the point where I don't think I'd own a C2 or C3 without side pipes.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:07 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

I have factory side exhaust on both my 69 and 65 convertibles. To me it is absolute music, even on a trip. Both have factory exhaust manifolds. They will be louder with headers. You need to go for a ride with someone who has them and make up your mind. Everybody's ear and tolerance level is different. The factory covers eliminate the issue of burned legs.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:05 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 449 Likes on 350 Posts

I bought a used set of chrome Hookers. Chrome was pretty bad so I got them cheap. I sandblasted them and painted them with high temp flat black paint. They did need a little tweeking to fit well. I have the max flow inserts and I love them. The flat black is real easy to touch up if needed.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:10 PM
commander_47
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Sayfoo
I bought a used set of chrome Hookers. Chrome was pretty bad so I got them cheap. I sandblasted them and painted them with high temp flat black paint. They did need a little tweeking to fit well. I have the max flow inserts and I love them. The flat black is real easy to touch up if needed.

i did the same thing. Used Hooker long tube headers. I also cleaned, scuffed and painted them black.

i purchased new Hooker chrome turn outs with the baffles.

I then put on powder coated heat shields. They look really good with the 4 inch chrome tips. They sound great and you can talk and hear stereo at highway speeds.

Only minor drawback is sometimes the fumes blow in when stopped or at a light with the windows down.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:25 PM
langg
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed Hooker Super Comps with the silver ceramic coating from Jet Hot. Fit was great, no dings required. I also added stainless covers. They really do prevent burns. The Sweet Thunder inserts make me want to coast through some residential areas. Wouldn't go back to under car.

langg
Old 01-06-2014, 06:21 AM
Franks73
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for all the good advice and thoughts guys!
Old 01-06-2014, 10:37 AM
rays699
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Pipes

Originally Posted by Franks73
Thanks for all the good advice and thoughts guys!
I installed xs power ss headers + side pipes with sts in them , on a 69 bb vette, looks + sound great !!!
Old 01-06-2014, 11:25 AM
Amelio
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 53 Posts

I absolutely love the pipes on my car....they have always been there and honestly I think the car would look funny if they weren't. It has 1 7/8" primaries and one set of race baffles in the pipes.....so needless to say she is noisy. I don't think I could drive long periods of time with it....I have done a car show that was an hour away and it just about gives you a headache ...LOL!

But I did not build it to be a driver....its a car show hopper around town and then I beat on it at the track.......Its loud in your face and I love it!
Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2014, 03:15 PM
1977L48
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

mine were already installed when i purchased my vette, i thought i would hate them, but i love them! so much room under the car, and i put the vettepack inserts in mine and they dont get nearly as hot as the reverse flow ones did, the new inserts were one of the best mods ive done to the car, next to the TKO 500
Old 01-07-2014, 04:07 PM
Dream Theater Fan
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 31 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C3 of the Year Winner

Default 69 vette at idle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaoM0...ature=youtu.be

here is one on the road
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBWfy...ature=youtu.be

454, hooker headers with sweet thunder inserts
love the sound, not bad on the highway with the 5 speed trans

Last edited by Dream Theater Fan; 01-07-2014 at 05:21 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Side pipes, what do ya think?

Quick Reply: Side pipes, what do ya think?