C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this center link bent?

Old 12-31-2013, 05:37 PM
1976-L82
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Is this center link bent?

I have found evidence that indicate the car has been hit in the front. I searched a few pictures of other center links, some appear to have the same angle for the drag link threads, but hard to tell. Also there is a curve in the straight section just before the driver side tie rod mounting location. All help is appreciated and Happy New Years to all !!!
Drag link threads not parallel to rest of center link.

[/URL]
Slight curve in this part but camera didn't pick it up well.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:52 PM
jcuprisi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot tell by the photos but I bent a center link once and it bent in the middle not near either end.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:21 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by jcuprisi
I cannot tell by the photos but I bent a center link once and it bent in the middle not near either end.
I have replaced several and were not bent at the ends...the weakest part is in between the idler arm and control valve.

It would need to be re-installed and the a picture taken from one side of the car to the other....to see if you have a bend in it.

Without you stating what year and or engine that is in your car...Just be aware that if you have a big block ...this center link is much larger diameter, stouter than a small block car...this I know for a fact.

DUB
Old 12-31-2013, 07:37 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Looks like a 'normal' power steering link from the photo. The stock link has a bend in it to provide clearance for the control valve that mounts to the threaded end. The best "test" method I can provide is that the threaded member should be in a parallel alignment with the main part of the rod.

Get notified of new replies

To Is this center link bent?

Search this Thread