C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soft top recommendations.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:58 PM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

Default Soft top recommendations.

I am thinking of replacing the original soft top (torn rear glass) on my '69 and seeking recommendations on best top available today. I have always used Al Knoch for seatcovers, etc, but have heard their quality may have slipped lately. Ecklers uses tops from Kee Auto Top, which I don't know anything about. Just heard from Willcox and Knoch is all they sell or use. They are a Forum supporter and are always running sales.

I am interested in hearing what experience others have had.

Thanks, Ralph.

Last edited by rponfick; 01-03-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:36 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I have used both. There is a Kee tops just about 5 minutes away form my shop. I buy a lot of materials from them when needed. I have only installed one top from Kee...but many of the Convertible top shops I know use them and like them a lot.

I use Al Knoch mostly....unless the customer supplies it themselves. Al has made some 5-ply tops if fabric for me for some of my customers who want to step-up and use the new fabric on their older Corvettes.

I also kinda have to agree...that the last top I got from AL Knoch went on fine...but the there was some areas where I was not happy with the stitching...but you have to understand... I AM VERY, VERY PICKY!!!! AND I could not say that the KEE top would be any better. The top was a glass back window upgrade for a 1986.

DUB
Old 01-03-2014, 09:55 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I'll elaborate on this a bit if you don't mind.... I'm a dealer for Key and most of their tops are great, especially on the “other” vehicles. They were the OEM supplier on later model tops as well, and the only brand anyone with a later model car should purchase.

Small differences in the tops for the earlier cars are one reason I only use Al’s tops... but the differences were enough.

For instance on the 58-62 tops they don't give you the bow straps.. come on Key.. you have to have these do to the job correctly. The material is not correct.. it’s a vinyl like what was installed on later model cars, not the soft vinyl like the originals. We did a 60 installation at the customers request last year. The pictures are on our facebook page and while the top turned out great, the material was too thick and bulky and the lack of bow straps for some reason irritated me.

On the 68-75 top kit the rear strap material isn't correct nor was the material used on the pads. There were a few other issues; I would have to dig up the file to see. Again nothing that prevented us from installing it, just enough to detour to what is correct for our own use. I did the test fit for one of the major vendors on this top to offer my input about correctness and use-ability in 2009. It was a good top no doubt.. I just don’t care for the differences when I can get it right going the other way.

I've never had an issue installing a Knoch top... and I've said it over and over again. The most important thing to a great installation is finding someone with real knowledge and tools to do the job correctly. Years ago we had a customer that purchased a top from us and was complaining about the nail-on not folding or staying in place. When he sent us pictures the Swingline staples told the story. Not to knock Swingline staplers... I’ve just never seen one that can shoot though two thickness’s of top a nail on and a rear bow strap…

To me, anyone can install a top... Patience, the right tools, and it can be done.

Here is the mid-year top we are doing right now.

Here you'll find the 60 picks of our install. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6912924&type=3
Old 01-04-2014, 12:40 PM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

Mr Willcox, thanks for the elaboration. Order is on the way through the cloud layer.

Ralph
Old 01-04-2014, 06:42 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
I've never had an issue installing a Knoch top... and I've said it over and over again. The most important thing to a great installation is finding someone with real knowledge and tools to do the job correctly. Years ago we had a customer that purchased a top from us and was complaining about the nail-on not folding or staying in place. When he sent us pictures the Swingline staples told the story. Not to knock Swingline staplers... I’ve just never seen one that can shoot though two thickness’s of top a nail on and a rear bow strap…

To me, anyone can install a top... Patience, the right tools, and it can be done.
Very well written Willcox.

What I changed to bold print in your comment is SO TRUE....this is for sure.

I install a few tops each year....not as many as you...but what we both can agree on...this is FOR SURE...is that if the person installing it does not know how to use, read and know WHERE TO MEASURE with a tape measure. The top will not go on and look correct.

I also use an air stapler for the "tough" areas. I (personally) hate the front stapled on foam strip. Trying not to hit the metal tabs that secure the tack strip is really fun...and still getting it positioned correctly so when the top is secured to the windshield frame. It is visually pleasing like it should be.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Soft top recommendations.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Soft top recommendations.