C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie question about the 69 vert

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2002, 07:14 AM
bardarse
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie question about the 69 vert

Hi,

Im new to the c3 forum, but I've been a vette fan all my life. Heres the question. I'm looking to get a 69 in about 2 years when the lease on my current car expires. My budget is about 25 grand. What should I expect to get in that price range? Will I be able to get a nicely restored car for that price? What kind of money would i have to dish out to get a 69 that is restored to daily driver reliability?
Question #2: I like the body style of the 69. Knowing this, is there another year with the same style that I should be looking at instead of 69? 70-72 perhaps? or are they diff?

Thanks much,
bardarse
Old 07-11-2002, 08:21 AM
riorata
Instructor

Default Re: newbie question about the 69 vert (bardarse)

Why wait two years? Especially if you have the cash. Vettes are for now! Two cars aren't a problem. That way you will have a CSV (Corvette Service Vehicle)

Seriously (if that is possible) I dreamed of a '69 Vette since I can remember and eventually saved a got a Coupe. While all other C3s are great, '69 is the the one for me. Just has those lines like nothing else.

For $25K you should be able to find a very nice car. I have much less than that in mine and it is my daily driver (well, will be again as soon as I can get released from my recall to Active Duty and take the other woman out from under the cover.) Drive her everyday except on ice. As with any 33 year old car stuff does happen, however that is part of the "Vette lifestyle", fixin' 'em when they break! Remember the CSV. HA! :cheers:

Don't wait, start looking and go for it!

From Bahrain

River Rat (Desert Rat for now) :flag
Old 07-11-2002, 09:12 AM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 183 Likes on 86 Posts

In today's market, $25k is about the top end of the price scale for a 69, unless you are talking about a rare optioned car, which you are not. You should be able to get a very clean big block original numbers car for that price.

I have no clue what the situation will be in 2 years. It is very possible that the same car will be $5k more then.

When I bought my 72, I was seeking a 69. The 68-72 have much the same look with the biggest styling differences being:

70-72 have flaired rocker panels to minimize the exposure to stone chips from the wheels.

68-69 have front fender gills, while 70-72 have grates.

68-69 have round exhaust tips, while 70-72 have rectangles.

68-69 have small front turn signals and smaller front and rear side fender lights than the 70-72.

68 has an exterior push button to open the doors where it's a key hole on the 69-72.

The 68 reverse lights are rectangles below the bumpers. 69-72 have them incorporated in the tail lights.

72 and some 71 have amber front turn signal lenses versus clear on 70 and most 71s.

70-72 front grills are grates. 68-69 are horizontal bars.

I believe those are the exterior styling differences.

Interior include thicker interior door skins on the 68 that impede shoulder room. 68-71 have interior fiberoptic warning lights, which were not carried over to 72.

68 has a dash mounted ignition keyhole versus the steer column mount.

Other considerations:

I would not pay $25k for a car that does not have matching numbers. Avoid dealers who take a $15k car and put a $22k price tag on it.

I got to go to work. :cheers:
Old 07-11-2002, 09:24 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 143 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: newbie question about the 69 vert (foundvettelifeisgood)

Buy it now....Prices will only increase in two years...Plus you need the csv as someone stater earlier :cheers:
Old 07-11-2002, 09:31 AM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Default Re: newbie question about the 69 vert (Alwyn678)

Yep - you should be able to get a REALLY nice example with 25 grand.
Prices SHOULD increase over the next couple of years. However, I just bought one so prices should start plummeting shortly.
Old 07-11-2002, 10:53 AM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That'll get you a very nice example! If your gonna drive it extensively, save a few bucks and get a non numbers matching car that's restored to a high standard. You could even get a BB vert that way, and have money left over for the inevitable stuff you want to "fix". GM sold a ton of 69's, so don't jump at the first one.

Hans
Old 07-11-2002, 11:07 AM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Default Re: newbie question about the 69 vert (lbell101)

Prices SHOULD increase over the next couple of years. However, I just bought one so prices should start plummeting shortly.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 07-11-2002, 11:14 AM
fontking1a
Burning Brakes

What makes you think you'll need a "restored" '69? Keep your eyes and ears open and you may find one that is original....and still runs great....and still fits your budget. We'd all like to have a "showcar"...but let's face it, if you're going to drive it, it's going to look a bit used. Is there really anything wrong with that?

Old 07-11-2002, 01:51 PM
bardarse
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies, very helpful. I'm starting to think that I should pay something around 20 -23? and save some extra money for repairs? I mean if I could find a great 69 under 20grand that would be really cool too.
I have a couple more question about some of the stuff mentioned in response to my original post.

1. riorata, what exactly is a CSV (Corvette Service Vehicle).
What is the benifit of it? If I don't get the car now It will not be CSV?

2. wrencher, what's a BB vert?

thanks much

bardarse
Old 07-11-2002, 07:51 PM
riorata
Instructor

Still think 20K is high. I believe you will be able to find a driver in great shape for 11-15K and still have a $$$ leftover for repairs. You will have things to do as the car is old. Stuff happens. In any event start looking NOW! Do not wait. If you have made the decision and have the $$$ go for it! You will not regret it.

A CSV is the car that chases you down the hiway on your weekend getaway. When your "old" car breaks you have the person driving the CSV run up to the next town and fetch what you need to fix it. Or you drive the CSV while your "baby" is in the garage awaiting the next fix, upgrade, polish, whatever. All in fun! HA! glad my CSV was chasing me more than once down the hiway or was nearby on the mobile phone leash. Wouldn't trade my times with the "other woman" for anything.

BB Vert = Big Block Convertible....Cubes "is" torque. (even if I drive a smallblock coupe)

Hope I could be of assistance. email me offline if you want more "sea" stories on the CSV

From Bahrain

River Rat (Desert Rat for now) :flag
Old 07-11-2002, 08:08 PM
bardarse
Intermediate

Default Re: newbie question about the 69 vert (riorata)

cool, Thanks for the info. I now have a new phrase i can add to my corvette book of terminology. You know what, that 11-17k price range sounds very appealing. But I cannot afford to own another car right now. That 25k price range i was talking about was after i had saved for 2 years and with the aquisition of a car loan.

thanks

Get notified of new replies

To newbie question about the 69 vert

Quick Reply: newbie question about the 69 vert