C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help identifying some wires around engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 09:25 PM
bikerbilly18
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default need help identifying some wires around engine

4 blue and white stripe

Last edited by bikerbilly18; 01-06-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:30 PM
1977L48
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the one off the A/C compressor is a ground, as for the rest i will look at my 77 tomorrow and let you know.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:07 AM
bikerbilly18
Instructor

if it helps with identification

the hood light bulb isn't connected to anything

the blower motor isnt getting power(per multimeter) but turns when wired direct to battery.
dome light wont come on when i open either door.
also horn doesn't work

hoping some of these wires will help me sort out those issues.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:29 PM
1977L48
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the black wire with one stripe on it, i couldent find it in my 77, may be the hood lamp bulb
the black wire on the pass side, goes to your blower motor, confirm this with multimeter
the 2 yellow or green wires on the pass side i also have disconnected, i think it was for the A/C

hope this helps
Old 01-07-2014, 03:14 PM
bikerbilly18
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1977L48
the black wire with one stripe on it, i couldent find it in my 77, may be the hood lamp bulb
the black wire on the pass side, goes to your blower motor, confirm this with multimeter
the 2 yellow or green wires on the pass side i also have disconnected, i think it was for the A/C

hope this helps
the wire with the white stripe on it looks like blue or dark blue ,
the the ground for the blower motor would make sense, but not sure where to put the plastic plug(green and black)
Old 01-07-2014, 03:26 PM
SLVRSHRK
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerbilly18
the wire with the white stripe on it looks like blue or dark blue ,
the the ground for the blower motor would make sense, but not sure where to put the plastic plug(green and black)
The green and black with the plastic plug is to activate the A/C compressor clutch. There should be somewhere to plug it in on your A/C compressor.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:44 PM
Frank_Nesta
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

First picture. The black wire goes to the hood alarm switch that should be right behind your hand.

Second picture black wire goes to the AC bracket for ground. The hole above your hand that is empty is for that ground and a bracket that goes from that hole to the intake manifold just under the automatic choke. Since AC is not operational at this time neither needs to be hooked up t this time. I would say that the previous owner disconnect this stuff because the AC was not operational.

Third photo. It is hard to tell what the true colors were. If those 2 wire are able to stretch across the block easily the are for the AC idle switch ( both should be light green. If they are shorter the go down to the AC unit under the radiator over flow tank ( one is light green and one is dark green.

Forth picture. The large black and white wire I still do not have a handle on yet.

I hope this helps. None of these wires will help with the interior light. Look under the dash at the fuse box. It is not uncommon for people to pull the fuse if they are going to have the door open for along time ( usually one side of the fuse) or the fuse is blown?
Old 01-07-2014, 06:54 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank_Nesta
First picture. The black wire goes to the hood alarm switch that should be right behind your hand.

Second picture black wire goes to the AC bracket for ground. The hole above your hand that is empty is for that ground and a bracket that goes from that hole to the intake manifold just under the automatic choke. Since AC is not operational at this time neither needs to be hooked up t this time. I would say that the previous owner disconnect this stuff because the AC was not operational.

Third photo. It is hard to tell what the true colors were. If those 2 wire are able to stretch across the block easily the are for the AC idle switch ( both should be light green. If they are shorter the go down to the AC unit under the radiator over flow tank ( one is light green and one is dark green.

Forth picture. The large black and white wire I still do not have a handle on yet.

I hope this helps. None of these wires will help with the interior light. Look under the dash at the fuse box. It is not uncommon for people to pull the fuse if they are going to have the door open for along time ( usually one side of the fuse) or the fuse is blown?
I believe the blue with white stripe wire in pic #4 goes to the hood alarm switch. All the wire diagrams list it as white but all the alarm trigger wires are blue and white.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:13 PM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The flat plug is for the A/C clutch. You do not currently have the compressor brace that goes to the side of the intake manifold. Double green wire on mine goes to the carb. linkage solenoid that increases the idle when the A/C is turned on. Will post more as I find them. mike...

Last edited by mds3013; 01-07-2014 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:18 PM
Frank_Nesta
Racer

Originally Posted by '75
I believe the blue with white stripe wire in pic #4 goes to the hood alarm switch. All the wire diagrams list it as white but all the alarm trigger wires are blue and white.
You are right all diagrams I look at show white??? It is in the right area of the engine compartment for the alarm.

Then to check that blue / white wire is to get a test lamp, hook one end to the unknown wire turn on the alarm and probe the other end to ground. It should light up and maybe sound the alarm. If the test lamp lights then turn off alarm and the lamp should go off. If that works mystery solved. I hope.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:53 PM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Frank's and '75's responses are correct when compared to my car. On the under hood light the black wire from to the light goes back to a short orange wire with a fuse link. The orange wire plugs into a larger red wire. The red wire is constantly hot as the light is switched on by a ball bearing in the socket when the hood is lifted. mike...

Last edited by mds3013; 01-07-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:18 AM
bikerbilly18
Instructor

ok think i got a grasp on all that above.

still trying to figure out my blower motor
it turns then wired direct to battery, multimeter says no juice from connectors to blower motor.
i took the blower motor switch apart completely and rebuilt it( switch is good on all settings) taped multimeter to fuse and its good. wondering if there is a disconnect before the fuse or maybe several throughout the circuit?
maybe try bypassing the ground direct to battery?
Old 01-08-2014, 12:33 AM
Frank_Nesta
Racer

ok think i got a grasp on all that above.

still trying to figure out my blower motor
it turns then wired direct to battery, multimeter says no juice from connectors to blower motor.
i took the blower motor switch apart completely and rebuilt it( switch is good on all settings) taped multimeter to fuse and its good. wondering if there is a disconnect before the fuse or maybe several throughout the circuit?
maybe try bypassing the ground direct to battery?
There is a resistor group for the motor speeds that connector is just under your hand in the first picture. There is a relay also just left of the alarm switch. These to components can have something to do with your problem. I will try to look at this closer tomorrow.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:41 AM
bikerbilly18
Instructor

well risked frostbit and bypassed ground to battery= did nothing
ran purple wire to battery= motor spins

frank you said something about a circuit breaker?
Old 01-08-2014, 01:53 AM
Frank_Nesta
Racer

Let me look into it tomorrow. I will try to look at every component and see who is who. Including the breaker.

FYI where are you located?

Last edited by Frank_Nesta; 01-08-2014 at 01:56 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:05 AM
bikerbilly18
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frank_Nesta
Let me look into it tomorrow. I will try to look at every component and see who is who. Including the breaker.

FYI where are you located?
im in virginia
Old 01-08-2014, 07:31 AM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Relay and resistor element on a '77. Press on! mike...

http://willcoxcorvette.com/instructi...arness_pdf.pdf

Get notified of new replies

To need help identifying some wires around engine

Old 01-08-2014, 12:29 PM
Frank_Nesta
Racer

Originally Posted by mds3013
Relay and resistor element on a '77. Press on! mike...

http://willcoxcorvette.com/instructi...arness_pdf.pdf
MDS3013 great photos thanks for the help.

Mike FYI the link is a PDF for your wiring diagram.

A little diversion interior light again. There are a couple of things that are on the same fuse. Clock (if it works), cigar lighter. Do either of these work? I would not be surprised if the clock does not. But, the lighter should work?

The Circuit breaker is for the power windows.

OK I am off to look at the blower motor and stuff.

Last edited by Frank_Nesta; 01-08-2014 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Remove the bit about timer.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:20 PM
bikerbilly18
Instructor

now u mention it the clock and lighter dont work either, and i noticed the wiring for the cigarette lighter looked redone.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:00 PM
Frank_Nesta
Racer

Default Interior lights

now u mention it the clock and lighter dont work either, and i noticed the wiring for the cigarette lighter looked redone.
The fuse is the 4th up on the fuse panel and is power all the time. Is it good? The interior lights clock and lighter wire are orange. With the doors open or the light switch turn to the left you should have power to the lamps, clock and lighter.

I don't know how new you are to Corvette's but remember everything has to be grounded. Each lamp has its own ground. And most electrical problem relate to a poor ground or someone remove it and not assuring it is put back correctly. OK enough of my soapbox.

Quick Reply: need help identifying some wires around engine