C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto to manual conversion problem #5

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 10:39 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Default Auto to manual conversion problem #5

Pulled the 700R4 out today. Started installing the Tremec. I have used pilot bearings instead of bushings for many years with good success and was planning to do the same thing with this one. I got my pilot bearing from Corvette Central. When I went to install it, it slipped in with finger pressure. Not nearly tight enough. I had an input bushing left over from a previous project so I miked the outside diameter of the bushing and the bearing and the bearing is about .003" smaller than the bushing. The bushing fits tight the way it should. I've never had this problem with the bearings before. Anyone else run into this?
Old 01-12-2014, 12:11 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by drwet
Pulled the 700R4 out today. Started installing the Tremec. I have used pilot bearings instead of bushings for many years with good success and was planning to do the same thing with this one. I got my pilot bearing from Corvette Central. When I went to install it, it slipped in with finger pressure. Not nearly tight enough. I had an input bushing left over from a previous project so I miked the outside diameter of the bushing and the bearing and the bearing is about .003" smaller than the bushing. The bushing fits tight the way it should. I've never had this problem with the bearings before. Anyone else run into this?
I would say that the bearing You have is probably not a name brand. The Moroso directions say that they should only be installed with the crank vertical in a press. I would just use a little bearing retainer glue to hold it. Or just use the bronze Bushing you have as long as a magnate won't pick it up.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:51 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Yeah, I decided to use the bushing. I just wasn't comfortable with the bearing being so loose in there. If it spins, its going to screw up the crank and I don't need that. I've used the bearings for years with no problems, but with all the negative posts about pilot bearings on this forum, I can't help thinking I've been lucky. Maybe its time to go back to the old fashioned tried and true bushing.

Get notified of new replies

To Auto to manual conversion problem #5

Quick Reply: Auto to manual conversion problem #5