C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18/19 C6 Wheels on an 80 with adapter specs

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 08:37 PM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Default 18/19 C6 Wheels on an 80 with adapter specs

Had a customer bring me a set of C6 wheels to put on his '80... I need to convince him to lower it at least a little bit as I think it looks a bit funny at its current ride height. BUT overall I really like these wheels on the 80-82's and I think the color works really well with the polished rims.
So heres the final specs:
OEM C6 wheels 18x8.5 and 19x10
Falken FK453 255/40/18F 285/35/19R
Front spacers are 2.9" Rears are 3.1"
Got them from www.Motorsport-Tech.com with the 12x1.5mm C6 studs
The rear fitment is perfect. I did have to relocate the parking brake, and it is a little close to the frame rail but it looks like they will just squeeze past the fender lip without rubbing.
The fronts look like theyve got a bit of positive camber pushing them out flush with the fender. They shouldnt rub when/if I get the chance to lower it and get 1 or 1.5* of neg camber on the front end.
As a chrome bumper guy I now have alot more appreciation for the rubber bumper cars ... I really like the look of this car

Old 01-13-2014, 08:57 PM
bluegtp
Drifting

Received 287 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Yeah that thing needs to be a little lower. They looks good though. Take some more photos when/if you lower it.watch for that rear spring when you lower it. My fiberglass spring was way too close for comfort so I to shorten it too.

You're making me think of switching over to c6 wheels.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:57 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Originally Posted by vette427-sbc
Had a customer bring me a set of C6 wheels to put on his '80... I need to convince him to lower it at least a little bit as I think it looks a bit funny at its current ride height. BUT overall I really like these wheels on the 80-82's and I think the color works really well with the polished rims.
Lowering it will really complete the look. The C6 5 spokes do work well on this car.
Nice job. Well done.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:31 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Nice job, looks good with the modern vette wheels and tires

I went with C6 Z06 aftermarket 17x9.5" wheels, 275/40 ZR17 tires, and 2.5" wheel adapters all around. Installed offset trailing arms on mine, and no rubbing front or rear. Also set my ground to center wheelwell lip height to 26.5" front and 27.5" rear.

Lowering it will finish it off nicely.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:39 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So heres the final specs:
OEM C6 wheels 18x8.5 and 19x10
Falken FK453 255/40/18F 285/35/19R
Front spacers are 2.9" Rears are 3.1"
Got them from www.Motorsport-Tech.com with the 12x1.5mm C6 studs
The rear fitment is perfect. I did have to relocate the parking brake, and it is a little close to the frame rail but it looks like they will just squeeze past the fender lip without rubbing.
The fronts look like theyve got a bit of positive camber pushing them out flush with the fender. They shouldnt rub when/if I get the chance to lower it and get 1 or 1.5* of neg camber on the front end.
As a chrome bumper guy I now have alot more appreciation for the rubber bumper cars ... I really like the look of this car

I have replica C6 wheels in C5 size in black chrome finish. Need to lower mine, lower both ends but in a manner to give the car a noticeable rake.

Last edited by Oldguard 7; 01-14-2014 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:47 AM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

The spacers must look like crap when you look into the rim. And with spacers that big I would be worried my wheel's could fall off .... lol . . . (jk)
Old 01-15-2014, 09:45 AM
jcuprisi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The thought of using 3" spacers worried me until I looked at my F-350 Dually. The front wheels are reversed from the rear wheels and have exagerated positive offset. The factory uses a 4" spacer to place the center of the tread in the same location as a regular truck. The same applies to any vehicle. It is not the location of the wheel face that determines the load on the lug nuts or wheel bearings, it is the location on the tread center in relation to the original tread width. I have 18" C-5 wheels on my '81. With 3" spacers the tread width is within 1/4" of that of the original wheels. I autocross my car and have no issues with lig nuts or bearings.

The looks are a matter of taste but the engineering is solid.

Thanks,
John
Old 01-16-2014, 01:09 PM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Thank you for this post! I've got a set of the same OEM C6 wheels in chrome for my build which is still at frame off. I've been going off of these post for determining spacers

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...c6-wheels.html

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=145346

He went 3.75" rear and 2.75" front, but regretted not going 3.5" rear. I'm surprised you had that much more room to go even smaller.

I ended up getting 285/40/19 rears to fill that gap a bit more when lowering and for a little more of a rake. I feel like the 285/35 just looks a bit to low profile for the car.

Anyway, thanks again. This helps dial in my spacers a bit more.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:48 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

If you want to lower your car because you want it to be lower, that's one thing, but lowering the car to get the wheels and tires to "look right" isn't going to work very well. The problem is that the tires are too small for the wheelwell opening. The best, and easiest solution would be to use the right size tires. For instance, a 255/40/18 tire is about 26 inches in diameter; it's too small to properly fill the wheelwell opening with even space all around the tire. (which is what gives a good tire and wheel combo that "right" look) A 255/45/18 tire is about 27 inches in diameter, which will properly fill the wheelwell. Basically, no matter what size wheel you are using, keep the tire diameter very close to the stock tire diameter, and you will be looking good.

Scott

Last edited by scottyp99; 01-16-2014 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:26 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by scottyp99
If you want to lower your car because you want it to be lower, that's one thing, but lowering the car to get the wheels and tires to "look right" isn't going to work very well. The problem is that the tires are too small for the wheelwell opening. The best, and easiest solution would be to use the right size tires. For instance, a 255/40/18 tire is about 26 inches in diameter; it's too small to properly fill the wheelwell opening with even space all around the tire. (which is what gives a good tire and wheel combo that "right" look) A 255/45/18 tire is about 27 inches in diameter, which will properly fill the wheelwell. Basically, no matter what size wheel you are using, keep the tire diameter very close to the stock wheel diameter, and you will be looking good.

Scott
Good advice - you need to match the diameter of the ORIGINAL wheel/tire combo - otherwise the speedo and gas mileage will be way off.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:29 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VETFEVER
Good advice - you need to match the diameter of the ORIGINAL wheel/tire combo - otherwise the speedo and gas mileage will be way off.
That's an excellent point. In addition to the looks, there are very practical reasons for retaining stock tire diameter. The car was designed around a certain diameter tire, and if you are going to fight it, you're going to have a lot of work to do.

Scott
Old 01-16-2014, 05:33 PM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

The rear tire is a 27" tall tire (ok, 26.8") Which is the stock height. I personally do not like that tall of a tire on the front of these cars. Its a matter of taste. But the fact that it needs to be lowered is not due to the "incorrect" tire size. It currently sits like a monster truck and the owner agreed when he picked it up. It will be back to get the fender lip height close to my own car, which is set up the same way. 27" tire in the rear, and a 26" in the front.

As for gas mileage difference?? the rear tire is the same height so there is no difference there. Even if it was smaller by an inch... Make a trip cross country one way with a 27" tire and then back with a 26" tire. Ill pay your difference in gas spent due to mileage. I think I have some change under my seat that should cover it
Old 01-16-2014, 05:49 PM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
Thank you for this post! I've got a set of the same OEM C6 wheels in chrome for my build which is still at frame off. I've been going off of these post for determining spacers

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...c6-wheels.html

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=145346

He went 3.75" rear and 2.75" front, but regretted not going 3.5" rear. I'm surprised you had that much more room to go even smaller.

I ended up getting 285/40/19 rears to fill that gap a bit more when lowering and for a little more of a rake. I feel like the 285/35 just looks a bit to low profile for the car.

Anyway, thanks again. This helps dial in my spacers a bit more.

Thats exactly why I posted the specs. Glad I could help!
As for the rear spacer size, These at 3.1" are about as small as I would go. The 285's are very close to the frame rail and (stock) trailing arms. If you do not care about sticking the tire out of the fender a bit, then you can go bigger and have a little more room on the inside. But then you have to worry about going over bumps and cracking the fender
Old 01-16-2014, 05:58 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

lowering will definitely help
the point of tire diameter makes good sense in a lot of applications
Old 01-16-2014, 06:58 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

The rear tire is a 27" tall tire (ok, 26.8") Which is the stock height. I personally do not like that tall of a tire on the front of these cars. Its a matter of taste. But the fact that it needs to be lowered is not due to the "incorrect" tire size. It currently sits like a monster truck and the owner agreed when he picked it up. It will be back to get the fender lip height close to my own car, which is set up the same way. 27" tire in the rear, and a 26" in the front.

As for gas mileage difference?? the rear tire is the same height so there is no difference there. Even if it was smaller by an inch... Make a trip cross country one way with a 27" tire and then back with a 26" tire. Ill pay your difference in gas spent due to mileage. I think I have some change under my seat that should cover it
Like I said, if you're going to fight it, you're going to have some work to do, so get to work! When you get right down to it, as long as the customer is happy, that's all that matters, right?

Also, according to my very rough math, if you drove from Maine to California on 27" tires, and then back on 26" tires, it would make the trip back the equivalent of driving about 60 extra miles. That's about 4 gallons of gas, for my 'vette. You got that much change under your seat? You must have a hole in your pocket, or something!.

Scott
Old 01-17-2014, 12:01 AM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

Like I said, if you're going to fight it, you're going to have some work to do, so get to work! When you get right down to it, as long as the customer is happy, that's all that matters, right?

Also, according to my very rough math, if you drove from Maine to California on 27" tires, and then back on 26" tires, it would make the trip back the equivalent of driving about 60 extra miles. That's about 4 gallons of gas, for my 'vette. You got that much change under your seat? You must have a hole in your pocket, or something!.

Scott
Youre forgetting Im from New Jersey... With all the toll roads here you need to keep a serious supply of quarters on you at all times
Old 01-17-2014, 08:57 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Youre forgetting Im from New Jersey... With all the toll roads here you need to keep a serious supply of quarters on you at all times
You need to get EZPass!

Get notified of new replies

To 18/19 C6 Wheels on an 80 with adapter specs

Old 01-19-2014, 01:53 PM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Thats exactly why I posted the specs. Glad I could help!
As for the rear spacer size, These at 3.1" are about as small as I would go. The 285's are very close to the frame rail and (stock) trailing arms. If you do not care about sticking the tire out of the fender a bit, then you can go bigger and have a little more room on the inside. But then you have to worry about going over bumps and cracking the fender
Thanks. I'm thinking 3.25" or so would be a happy medium.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:25 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Scott
Use a GPS for actual miles and not the odometer for the cross country retrun trip. I also have some change to cover the difference in gas.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:38 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Oh, man, I forgot about that...I lived in New Jersey for a couple of years when I was in the Army. Seems like you have to stop and pay a small toll every exit! And the jughandles! ARGHHHHH! THE JUGHANDLES!!! I could never get used to them! We have rotaries up here in Massachusetts, but I grew up with them, so they don't seem crazy to me.

Scott

Quick Reply: 18/19 C6 Wheels on an 80 with adapter specs