C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-56 conversion help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 03:08 PM
Corvette400hp
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default T-56 conversion help needed!

After reading many posts of transmission swaps I grown even more confused. I simply need help to get me going in the right direction.

I bought a lt 1 t-56 which is suppose to bolt up to a small block motor I have with 1 PC rear main seal. I'm not clear if my 1 PC rear main seal 153 tooth flywheel will work. I doesn't look like the camaro flywheel. I want to use a hydraulic throw out bearing and Chevy Muncie style clutch and pressure plate with fine splice clutch. Where am I going wrong? Will the fine spline clutch and Muncie style pressure plate work.

Your help is greatly appreciated
corvette400hp
Old 01-25-2014, 06:50 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette400hp
After reading many posts of transmission swaps I grown even more confused. I simply need help to get me going in the right direction.

I bought a lt 1 t-56 which is suppose to bolt up to a small block motor I have with 1 PC rear main seal. I'm not clear if my 1 PC rear main seal 153 tooth flywheel will work. I doesn't look like the camaro flywheel. I want to use a hydraulic throw out bearing and Chevy Muncie style clutch and pressure plate with fine splice clutch. Where am I going wrong? Will the fine spline clutch and Muncie style pressure plate work.

Your help is greatly appreciated
corvette400hp
The LT1 T56 uses a pull type clutch, so you have a couple choices.

1. Buy a clutch/ flywheel set for the FBody the trans came out of.
or
2. Convert the trans to a push type clutch like I did. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...gs-list-8.html
Old 01-26-2014, 06:40 AM
Corvette400hp
Racer

Originally Posted by MIKE80
The LT1 T56 uses a pull type clutch, so you have a couple choices.

1. Buy a clutch/ flywheel set for the FBody the trans came out of.
or
2. Convert the trans to a push type clutch like I did. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...gs-list-8.html
Thanks mike80' my gut tells me to do option 1 use the camaro donor flywheel and pressure plate and stay pull style, but what is all involved in option 2 push style. Can I use camaro flywheel with push style pressure plate or do I need a new set up all together?
Old 01-26-2014, 08:38 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Thanks mike80' my gut tells me to do option 1 use the camaro donor flywheel and pressure plate and stay pull style, but what is all involved in option 2 push style. Can I use camaro flywheel with push style pressure plate or do I need a new set up all together?
It would be less expensive for you to stick with option 1. Option 2 would change you to a hydraulic throw out bearing, 11" 168 tooth setup, and more vendors sell the push style clutches, but you would have to purchase the conversion kit and a new push type flywheel/ clutch setup. I already had a new push type flywheel and clutch from my 4 speed, so I only had to buy the conversion kit when I did mine.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:59 PM
Corvette400hp
Racer

[QUOTE=MIKE80;1586015592]It would be less expensive for you to stick with option 1. Option 2 would change you to a hydraulic throw out bearing, 11" 168 tooth setup, and more vendors sell the push style clutches, but you would have to purchase the conversion kit and a new push type flywheel/ clutch setup. I already had a new push type flywheel and clutch from my 4 speed, so I only had to buy the conversion kit when I did mine.

Sorry mike I misled you. I didn't want a hydraulic throw out bearing I wanted to use the hydraulic master cylinder that came with t 56. Hopefully it will work. Did you modify your cross member or did you buy a aftermarket unit. I was hoping to find a aftermarket unit but I'm coming up empty. Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks for your help
corvette400 hp
Old 01-28-2014, 04:01 PM
waljr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he did both... modified the aftermarket unit

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...post1586032872
Old 01-28-2014, 07:27 PM
Corvette400hp
Racer

Originally Posted by waljr
he did both... modified the aftermarket unit

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...post1586032872

Thanks waljr I found the Chevy crossmember people in the thread , hopefully there still in business and I can get cross member. It's starting to come together and feeling more confident about swap. Hope to post pics for the next member needing swap info.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:09 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

[QUOTE=Corvette400hp;1586027854]
It would be less expensive for you to stick with option 1. Option 2 would change you to a hydraulic throw out bearing, 11" 168 tooth setup, and more vendors sell the push style clutches, but you would have to purchase the conversion kit and a new push type flywheel/ clutch setup. I already had a new push type flywheel and clutch from my 4 speed, so I only had to buy the conversion kit when I did mine.

Sorry mike I misled you. I didn't want a hydraulic throw out bearing I wanted to use the hydraulic master cylinder that came with t 56. Hopefully it will work. Did you modify your cross member or did you buy a aftermarket unit. I was hoping to find a aftermarket unit but I'm coming up empty. Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks for your help
corvette400 hp
No problem. Bowtie Overdrive has the trans crossmember, I just had to slot the holes a bit more and shim the trans mount to raise the trans up some. The Camaro/ Firebird T56 clutch master does not have the correct firewall angle, so you will either have to make an angle adapter for it, or use a clutch master for an 85' Chevy pickup which does have the correct angle, modify the rod to connect to the clutch pedal, and make up a hydraulic line to connect the 85' truck master to the stock T56 slave.

Let me know if you need anymore help.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:29 AM
STODD
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I swapped an LT 1 T56 into my 75 4 speed car using mainly Mikes posts and several other guys. Since I had 4 speed I had to cut my CM out any way, and I modded it different than most guys and still have some work to do. Stock location the front u-joint hits the tunnel, had to loosen the motor mounts and pull tail shaft towards DS. Still have to mod the PB pulley bracket as my cable still rubs u-joint. I used the pull style throw out bearing and the 89 chevy 1 ton truck master cylinder even though I had a wilwood that the guy sold me with the trans. The truck one is angled so you do not need the fire wall adapter. The more you search the more you will find. My biggest pain is definitely the crossmember and I bet most will have to mod a bolt in after market some to make it right. BTO was out of stock when I called. I do have 2 test hits in the car and think it may be the best mod you can do, it is worth the hassle. When I am done I have some final picts I may post. The best part is I will have less than $1500 in this deal, I was so close to pulling the trigger with Kiesler a few times!!!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:25 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Originally Posted by STODD
I swapped an LT 1 T56 into my 75 4 speed car using mainly Mikes posts and several other guys. Since I had 4 speed I had to cut my CM out any way, and I modded it different than most guys and still have some work to do. Stock location the front u-joint hits the tunnel, had to loosen the motor mounts and pull tail shaft towards DS. Still have to mod the PB pulley bracket as my cable still rubs u-joint. I used the pull style throw out bearing and the 89 chevy 1 ton truck master cylinder even though I had a wilwood that the guy sold me with the trans. The truck one is angled so you do not need the fire wall adapter. The more you search the more you will find. My biggest pain is definitely the crossmember and I bet most will have to mod a bolt in after market some to make it right. BTO was out of stock when I called. I do have 2 test hits in the car and think it may be the best mod you can do, it is worth the hassle. When I am done I have some final picts I may post. The best part is I will have less than $1500 in this deal, I was so close to pulling the trigger with Kiesler a few times!!!

Nice! BTO first sent me the wrong crossmember, then took a month to get me the right one. But I can't complain, they told me to keep the first one which I sold, and powdercoated the correct one for me to match my chassis red at no extra charge.

You ended up with a 6 speed instead of a 5 speed and had to do a little work for it, but look at how much you saved Look forward to seeing the picks.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:08 PM
Corvette400hp
Racer

[QUOTE=MIKE80;1586040567]

No problem. Bowtie Overdrive has the trans crossmember, I just had to slot the holes a bit more and shim the trans mount to raise the trans up some. The Camaro/ Firebird T56 clutch master does not have the correct firewall angle, so you will either have to make an angle adapter for it, or use a clutch master for an 85' Chevy pickup which does have the correct angle, modify the rod to connect to the clutch pedal, and make up a hydraulic line to connect the 85' truck master to the stock T56 slave.

Let me know if you need anymore help.
Thanks Mike80 I found bowtie overdrive last night and ordered cross member 11am this morning. I believe I have everything now to start the swap, if I have any questions during swap I may get back with you . Thanks for the help .
Old 01-29-2014, 02:13 PM
MIKE80
Drifting

[QUOTE=Corvette400hp;1586043545]

Thanks Mike80 I found bowtie overdrive last night and ordered cross member 11am this morning. I believe I have everything now to start the swap, if I have any questions during swap I may get back with you . Thanks for the help .
Keep us updated on how it goes. Good luck
Old 01-29-2014, 02:16 PM
Corvette400hp
Racer

Originally Posted by STODD
Did the 85 truck master cylinder move enough fluid to engage the slave, some have said it was on the slow side. I may have to move
transmission as a lot of other member ran into clearance issues with yoke. Which yoke did you use?
Old 01-30-2014, 01:43 AM
STODD
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used my stock 4speed yoke, also got ahead of my self and had d/s shortened 2 much, cost me $20 for new tube to lengthen it + $110 for welding/balancing. I think the LS t56 is an inch shorter, and with perect lenth drive shaft you may be able to get into the wider area of the tunnel. With the LT 1 t56 I don't think its possible. I think my clutch master cylinder is fine, I still need to adjust it a bit shorter, as you can feel it bottom out the pressure plate now. One thing about using the Lt1 style clutch is we are pretty limited, either stock or twice price for better one. I used the stock one for now, but doubt it last long as I estimate my 406 sb to be pretty close to 500ft lbs torque, the stock t56 is rated at 400, so better the clutch than the trans for now!! Right now dash is tore apart as I add electronic speedo, went cheap again, summit 3.5" for 122$, adding matching tach, not sure if its gonna look corny or not yet. Using aluminium plates in original dash to make them fit. Also went cheap on shifter, bought the $25 short handle for stock shifter I had on e-bay and new nylon cup, Hoping for another drive this weekend.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:14 AM
waljr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if they are building that x-member from scratch they maybe able to slot the holes as per Mikes mods.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:04 AM
Corvette400hp
Racer

Originally Posted by waljr
if they are building that x-member from scratch they maybe able to slot the holes as per Mikes mods.
They have mailed the crossmember already so mods is out of the question for now. I will find out when it gets here. I may use the mod as part of the documentary I'll do on the swap.

Thanks waljr

Get notified of new replies

To T-56 conversion help needed!

Quick Reply: T-56 conversion help needed!