C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-Top Air Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 01:10 PM
HBZ_81_C3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default T-Top Air Leak

I have an air leak on the front edge of both T-Tops at speed. The tops do not leak in the rain and do not leak at normal driving speeds. The only time I get the air leak is at the track at speeds over 100 MPH. The faster the speed the more the leak. At speeds of 120 MPH + I get a gale force wind at the front edge of both tops.

I have new weather stripping on both tops and have tried adjusting according to the AIM as well as various other methods to try and stop it.

Anyone ever experienced this?

The only thing I can come up with is that the air is getting under the T-Top and flexing it upward???
Old 01-29-2014, 04:33 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

It may seem counter-intuitive, but the air flowing up the windshield and over the roof creates a low pressure area above the T-tops, "sucking" them upward. This is most likely causing your problem. I once lost a t-top on the highway because of this. I swear, it must have flown 20+ feet into the air! (My girlfriend at the time said "What does this do?" and flicked the latch open! LOL!! As I watched the top shatter on the pavement in the rear-view mirror, I very calmly said "That's what it does, hon.") Luckily, it didn't hit another vehicle. Anyway, the only thing I can say is, see if you can find a way to tighten them down a little more. Anybody have any experience with solving this problem?

Scott
Old 01-29-2014, 04:55 PM
U17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

WHAT !!!! You mean the tops actually go on the car ????
Old 01-29-2014, 05:22 PM
70Yellowbird
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't know how many years are the same as mine, but my '70 T-tops have a rubber seal attached to the underside of chrome trim where the T-tops meet the windshield.

T-top weatherstrip kits don't include these seals that I'm aware of. I got my replacements at Carlisle.

Mine were so brittle that pieces would break off in my hand while putting them in their storage bags.

Could this be the source of your air leak?
Old 01-29-2014, 06:46 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by HBZ_81_C3
I have an air leak on the front edge of both T-Tops at speed. The tops do not leak in the rain and do not leak at normal driving speeds. The only time I get the air leak is at the track at speeds over 100 MPH. The faster the speed the more the leak. At speeds of 120 MPH + I get a gale force wind at the front edge of both tops.

I have new weather stripping on both tops and have tried adjusting according to the AIM as well as various other methods to try and stop it.

Anyone ever experienced this?

The only thing I can come up with is that the air is getting under the T-Top and flexing it upward???
Not meaning to be a smart @$$...but use 200mph tape along the front edge and ride on. Insert a piece of rubber weatherstrip across the front edge and then apply the tape so the w/s is giving the tape some backing. Take it off when you drive it home. You are putting these T-tops under forces and stresses that they were not designed to do.

DUB
Old 02-02-2014, 06:49 PM
HBZ_81_C3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys.

DUB - I believe you may have the best/easiest solution.

Get notified of new replies

To T-Top Air Leak

Quick Reply: T-Top Air Leak