C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Cooler Lines on 81

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 12:57 PM
nspctr01
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Cooler Lines on 81

Preparing to install cooler lines and shift cable on car now. I cant tell from the diagrams in the AIM which line goes where. Can someone tell me how the lines connect from the radiator to the trans? Such as, the top line on Radiator goes to the ____ on the trans.
Also, is there a special hose that connects the fittings at the radiator? Will fuel line do? 3/8 or is there a hydraulic oil compatible hose that is needed. How about clamps? Special or regular hose clamps. Dont want to be chasing leaks.
The drive shaft is next, already rebuilt so should be an easy install..
Still chasing electrical issue w/ battery. Will kp posted...

Thx
Old 02-03-2014, 01:32 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

It is special hose. Ask for transmission cooler hose. Clamps are regular hose clamps. When the weather improves (tomorrow) I'll get the info on the lines for you. Car is outside.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:14 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Rat
It is special hose. Ask for transmission cooler hose. Clamps are regular hose clamps. When the weather improves (tomorrow) I'll get the info on the lines for you. Car is outside.

As far as which line goes where? Usually the stock pre bent lines fall into place ( only fit one way) but other than that, I don't think it really matters how it flows through the radiator cooler.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:48 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Zip or Paragon sell a transmission cooler line Kit that includes hose and clamps. The clamps (original) tighten from both sides. Below is link to Paragon style clamps

https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-35...clamp-kit.aspx
Old 02-04-2014, 10:15 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I would think (don't know for sure) that the optimum setup would be for the CONVERTER OUT line from the trans to go into the lower fitting on the radiator. That would put the CONVERTER IN line at the top where the coolant is the lowest temperature. But, that's just my assessment. I doubt that it makes much difference with a stock setup.

If you are pushing more HP through the tranny, it would be best to install an additional oil cooler into that circuit, too.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 02-04-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:19 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

nspctr01- I sent you a pm.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Cooler Lines on 81

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler Lines on 81