C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Correct headlamps for fiber optics

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 02:16 PM
grumman41
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Correct headlamps for fiber optics

I've done some searches and can't find any headlight bulbs that work with fiber optics other than the T3 replacements ( a little out of my budget @ $149.00). Is there any other replacement bulbs that have the small extension in the back for the optics?

Kevin
Old 02-05-2014, 04:24 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Grumman... you are correct. Wagner stopped making the bulbs with the tit for the fiber optic grommet about a year ago. Maybe the current sale we have will help take the sting out some. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...r-details.html

http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...oducts_id=1857
Old 02-05-2014, 04:41 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

I have been working on modifying some of the new style lights, but still not sure how it will work out. So far I have drilled a hole into the back of the lamp and plan on installing a bit of fiber optic into the light housing. Based on my dis-assembly the new lights are nothing more than a new tech halogen bulb into a T3 style housing.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:10 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

All the fiber optic cable needs is LIGHT. Jumper 12vdc to a 'loose' bulb and see if there isn't any way to get light at the rear of the bulb. If the reflective coating is on the inside of the bulb, you're out of luck. But, if it is on the outside, you should be able to scrape a small area off where the fiber optic cable will be located (when you plug the socket on). You may also have to fab a little "light sleeve" between the bulb and the socket, like the ones that came from the factory. Most folks lose them the first time they change a headlamp. A short piece of 1/4" diameter shrink tubing will serve that purpose.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:55 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
All the fiber optic cable needs is LIGHT. Jumper 12vdc to a 'loose' bulb and see if there isn't any way to get light at the rear of the bulb. If the reflective coating is on the inside of the bulb, you're out of luck. But, if it is on the outside, you should be able to scrape a small area off where the fiber optic cable will be located (when you plug the socket on). You may also have to fab a little "light sleeve" between the bulb and the socket, like the ones that came from the factory. Most folks lose them the first time they change a headlamp. A short piece of 1/4" diameter shrink tubing will serve that purpose.
The problem with the new lights are the backs are a solid peice of plastic. Look at this pic from O'reilly auto for a Wagner H5006 bulb.

If I get a chance to take some pictures and upload them I will post to show how I am working around this.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:03 PM
bellaireroad
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sigforty
I have been working on modifying some of the new style lights, but still not sure how it will work out. So far I have drilled a hole into the back of the lamp and plan on installing a bit of fiber optic into the light housing. Based on my dis-assembly the new lights are nothing more than a new tech halogen bulb into a T3 style housing.

I always thought these were under vacuum? Guess not

Last edited by bellaireroad; 02-07-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:45 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by bellaireroad
I always thought these were under vacuum? Guess not
Original sealed beams were, but these new halagens are just like modern car headlights. I have some pictures of my work. I just need to get them off my phone an uploaded.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:00 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

OK. Go to an auto parts store and ask if they have a defective/bad/used bulb like the ones you are installing. If so, just use a Dremel to put a small hole in the center of that connector so you can see what is under it. There could be an uncoated area under that plug and, with any luck, you can figure out how to 'massage' the new bulbs so that the F/O strands can pick up the light they need.

Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Correct headlamps for fiber optics

Quick Reply: Correct headlamps for fiber optics