C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those with garage lifts, need some help deciding...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 03:25 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Received 391 Likes on 237 Posts

Default Those with garage lifts, need some help deciding...

I tried a search and came up with little info.

Well we are getting settled into the in new house and I'm getting the garage in order. I plan the coat the garage floor myself and next will be the lift. I'm wanting a 4 post for storage and looking at several brands. What I am seeing is the large majority is outsourced to China, big surprise. While I'm not looking for an expensive professional grade lift I want something that is safe (2+ safety locks) and is certified. I will not be lifting anything really heavy so a 7-10K pound lift will suffice.

Couple brands I'm looking at is Benpak and Direct lift.

Any recommendations?
Old 02-19-2014, 03:31 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I've had several Direct Lifts...no issues. My buddies all bought them too after playing with mine. The first was a ProPark 8 plus...and the last two have been Pro Park 9's so my F-250 4x4 4 door pickup will fit on it. I sold the last one with my house/shop when I moved....so as soon as new shop was built I ordered another one.

I looked at many of them in person before I bought the first one and at the end of the day the Direct Lift gave the most bang for the buck.

JIM
Old 02-19-2014, 03:35 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Here's a shortcut link that might help also......

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...t=GARAGE+LIFTS
Old 02-19-2014, 03:36 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
I've had several Direct Lifts...no issues. My buddies all bought them too after playing with mine. The first was a ProPark 8 plus...and the last two have been Pro Park 9's so my F-250 4x4 4 door pickup will fit on it. I sold the last one with my house/shop when I moved....so as soon as new shop was built I ordered another one.

I looked at many of them in person before I bought the first one and at the end of the day the Direct Lift gave the most bang for the buck.

JIM
Thanks Jim, I came to the same conclusion on the Pro Park's just didn't know anyone with first-hand knowledge.

Did you get the lift locally, if so whom and did you set it up yourself?
Old 02-19-2014, 03:50 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Here's a shortcut link that might help also......

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...t=GARAGE+LIFTS
Thanks bro
Old 02-19-2014, 04:37 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I bought a 2 post from Greg Smith equipment about 5 years ago. It would not fit in my current garage so I sold it. I now have a 4 post from Greg Smith which is working out just fine also. They are an hour from me so I went down with a car trailer and had them drop the package on the trailer. I disassembled it on the trailer and put it in the garage my self. The next day i set it up myself in about 4 hours. A 4 post is a very easy setup. It weighed in at 2000 lbs and the ramps are quite heavy so my floor jack helped me out a lot. I have world on cars with the Bend Pak and they are a nice lift also.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:07 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

We just did a two post in my buddies shop. We drilled the cement and installed the threaded achor bolts. He opted to do the epoxy floor later. Which is a smart thing. Between the drilling and the fork lift to raise the beams. Lifting the beams caused them to drag across the cement and up into the upright position. If it was painted you would have had to cover the area with plywoood. It was the big lift because he works on big 3500 4x4 diesel

He had stubbed out the power before the cement pour.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:31 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

10 years this coming Sept, problem free.
Adjusted the stops(cables) twice.
From Greg Smith Equip., Indianapolis.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:41 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Yeah I just need to get a quote on shipping from Greg Smith, they have the Pro Park 8s in in stock inAustin. It will cost me $200 tax so I'm up to $2400 not including shipping. I can get the Bendpak HD9 for $2835 delivered.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:48 PM
jhudec
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 129 Posts

I have the 4 post BendPak, no issues.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:15 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Corey_68
Yeah I just need to get a quote on shipping from Greg Smith, they have the Pro Park 8s in in stock inAustin. It will cost me $200 tax so I'm up to $2400 not including shipping. I can get the Bendpak HD9 for $2835 delivered.
I guess I'm lucky. Delaware has no sales tax and I could pick it up! I bought the 408-SL for 2195 total.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:19 PM
dkeith
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Direct lift. Couldn't be happier.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:22 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

When buying a 4 post lift most any of them will lift what ever You are going to Lift. Its what Your going to put under it that matters most. The one I got is extra wide and extra tall. I have a Silverado HD and I still need to fold the Mirrors in to clear. I think You will find many brands that are basically the same thing and made in the same place. If You have a standard 2 car garage You may consider getting the castors so that You can put a car on it turn the lift sideways and up against the back wall then You can drive 2 cars nose in under it just like You did before You had a lift. If Your not going to do this skip the Castors I have had mine 10+ years and have never used mine once. The Bend Paks and some others use can Air to lock the Locks. This may or may not be an advantage, in a pro shop its probably good as they always have air pressure up, at home You may have to wait till your compressor charges. Lots to think about. If it was me, I'd get the biggest tallest one that will fit in your garage.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:24 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I got a 4-post from CompleteHydraulic (Indiana) several years ago. Since I only have a 2-1/2 car garage with cabinets taking up space at the back wall, I got a lift that was a little bit lighter duty and a bit shorter than their 'basic' unit. It still has enough capacity for my Saturn van, and presents no problems with a '65 Grand Prix, either.

I do have a 12 foot high ceiling, though. But, 10 foot will allow you to get another car under with the Corvette above.

If you get a 4-post and do not buy a bridge jack, make sure you purchase an extra heavy-duty drip pan that will allow you to set bottle or floor jacks in it for lifting portions of the car.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 02-19-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:05 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Thanks Jim, I came to the same conclusion on the Pro Park's just didn't know anyone with first-hand knowledge.

Did you get the lift locally, if so whom and did you set it up yourself?
I bought the first two from Derek Weaver in Dallas. Went by and picked them up with car trailer since I lived in the area. When I moved to Utah, I couldn't find a local dealer for them (I thought)...and was looking at shipping it in. I found the distributor in Denver had a warehouse in Salt Lake City that they shipped other stuff to and was willing to ship it in for free. They matched Derek's pricing.

I picked it up and assembled it by myself this time. Well...actually my wife helped swing the platforms into place and flip them over. I left it on the car trailer and just started building it from there. Worked perfect and then pulled trailer out from under it. I used a cherry picker to help position the heavy stuff...but otherwise no drama. If you have a buddy or two to help it can be a fun afternoon project.

Get the jack setup...it's nice. The ProPark's come with a good jack tray for a bottle jack, the casters (real handy) and drip trays.

JIM
Old 02-20-2014, 09:14 AM
69small block
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried a search and came up with little info.

Well we are getting settled into the in new house and I'm getting the garage in order. I plan the coat the garage floor myself and next will be the lift. I'm wanting a 4 post for storage and looking at several brands. What I am seeing is the large majority is outsourced to China, big surprise. While I'm not looking for an expensive professional grade lift I want something that is safe (2+ safety locks) and is certified. I will not be lifting anything really heavy so a 7-10K pound lift will suffice.

Couple brands I'm looking at is Benpak and Direct lift.

Any recommendations?
I bought a WORTH lifts USA built in Texas a little more money price included shipping
Old 02-20-2014, 02:17 PM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

I personally like the Bend Pac. Awsome lift and made here in america.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:30 PM
Corey_68
Team Owner

Originally Posted by persuader
I personally like the Bend Pac. Awsome lift and made here in america.
Partly made in America, but yes a nice lift.

The best deal going is the Pro Park 8s, and I can pick it up locally and install myself.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Get notified of new replies

To Those with garage lifts, need some help deciding...

Quick Reply: Those with garage lifts, need some help deciding...