C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine won't start

Old 02-23-2014, 07:28 PM
ftf396
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default engine won't start

I cranked the engine after adjusting choke fast idle screw. Idle was way to high so I shut it down. Readjusted screw and tried to crank and nothing happened when I turned the ignition switch just a click somewhere in the engine compartment. I tapped on the starter thinking the prob was there and the interior lights came on but still nothing when I turned the ignition on. Car is a 71 454 4 speed a points dizzy, battery is good. Any info on what I can check and possibly how to do it? Not really up on electrical.
Thanks
Old 02-23-2014, 07:49 PM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

Check battery connections first , check ground wire to block .
Old 02-23-2014, 08:41 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

#1 and #2
Old 02-23-2014, 08:46 PM
ftf396
Instructor

Originally Posted by diehrd
Check battery connections first , check ground wire to block .
checked connections as you suggested. Found a wire that had come loose from solenoid. Reconnected that. Still same prob. Interior lights came on but nothing when I turned ignition. Interior lights when off again.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:21 PM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Check my problem, "The size of my nut."

ftf,

I had a similar "no-start" problem yesterday and traced it to a break in a wire that comes out of the junction box screwed to the inner left fender. This wire was a single strand wire and about four inches long. It went into a fusible link and the other end went into the main wiring harness.

When broken, no "key-in-ignition" buzzer noise, no dash lights, no noise from starter in "start" position. When that wire was re-attached, all was good. Mine's a '74 L48, but yours may have a junction box in that position. I hope this helps.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 02-23-2014, 09:31 PM
Patro46
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

First thing I'd do is rule out the starter. Jumper the solenoid with either a remote starter or use the country boy method...get a screwdriver and touch the large positive (+) connection on the solenoid to the small one located closest to the block. When you do this, the starter will either spin or your starter/solenoid is defective or a dead battery. If it spins over, the starter is good. Next, Chevrolet has always been big on using little fuseable links in the smaller wires with the 3/8" ring terminals that connect where the big red one does. If this link blows (opens), you cant see it. It will look fine. Tug on it a tad at the ring terminal back about 4 or 5 inches and see if it springs back when you tug it. If it does, it's open UNDER the external rubber sleeve. You just cant see it. You can prove this with a simple 12 volt test light. If you can jump the starter over and it works but it's dead at the key, and you've verified there are no blown fuseable links, you've narrowed it down to either a neutral safety switch, clutch safety switch or an ignition switch. Before doing all this, I'd probably take and make sure I don't have a safety switch either hung up or just not making a good connection. Manually run her through the gears a few times. Try and start her in neutral. If it's a standard, make sure you don't have a clutch safety switch hanging you up. Floor the clutch a few times. In closing, I'd bet you end up finding it to be something above. And since I'm an optimist, I'd bet it's a rather easy fix! Let us know!
Old 02-23-2014, 09:55 PM
ftf396
Instructor

Originally Posted by Patro46
First thing I'd do is rule out the starter. Jumper the solenoid with either a remote starter or use the country boy method...get a screwdriver and touch the large positive (+) connection on the solenoid to the small one located closest to the block. When you do this, the starter will either spin or your starter/solenoid is defective or a dead battery. If it spins over, the starter is good. Next, Chevrolet has always been big on using little fuseable links in the smaller wires with the 3/8" ring terminals that connect where the big red one does. If this link blows (opens), you cant see it. It will look fine. Tug on it a tad at the ring terminal back about 4 or 5 inches and see if it springs back when you tug it. If it does, it's open UNDER the external rubber sleeve. You just cant see it. You can prove this with a simple 12 volt test light. If you can jump the starter over and it works but it's dead at the key, and you've verified there are no blown fuseable links, you've narrowed it down to either a neutral safety switch, clutch safety switch or an ignition switch. Before doing all
this, I'd probably take and make sure I don't have a safety switch either hung up or just not making a good connection. Manually run her through the gears a few times. Try and start her in neutral. If it's a standard, make sure you don't have a clutch safety switch hanging you up. Floor the clutch a few times. In closing, I'd bet you end up finding it to be something above. And since I'm an optimist, I'd bet it's a rather easy fix! Let us know!

Thanks everyone for your quick replies. Will get on these suggestions in a couple of day as it is around 10 pm where i'm at and monday am is coming soon. A thought could the disconnected wire on the solenoid fried the points or condenser to produce this problem?
Old 02-23-2014, 10:04 PM
Patro46
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ftf396
Thanks everyone for your quick replies. Will get on these suggestions in a couple of day as it is around 10 pm where i'm at and monday am is coming soon. A thought could the disconnected wire on the solenoid fried the points or condenser to produce this problem?
No.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:34 AM
Camivette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go back to where you found the first issue and work your way back. Check the fusible link and the other connections at the starter.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:02 PM
ftf396
Instructor

Ok. Finally had a chance to check some things. Jumped the starter solenoid nothing. Does that mean the starter is bad?
Fred
Old 02-26-2014, 09:58 PM
Camivette
Racer

If you had good voltage at the starter and it did nothing the solenoid at least is bad. Good time for a mini high torque starter :-)
Old 02-27-2014, 02:10 PM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since you've got a manual gearbox, have you ruled out the neutral safety switch on the steering column under the dash?
Old 02-27-2014, 02:45 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Ok. Finally had a chance to check some things. Jumped the starter solenoid nothing. Does that mean the starter is bad?
Fred
Most likely, yes

Try this, get a broom handle and rap on the starter housing repeatedly while your wife turns the key.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:53 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts

Default 5 Stars !

Originally Posted by Patro46
First thing I'd do is rule out the starter. Jumper the solenoid with either a remote starter or use the country boy method...get a screwdriver and touch the large positive (+) connection on the solenoid to the small one located closest to the block. When you do this, the starter will either spin or your starter/solenoid is defective or a dead battery. If it spins over, the starter is good. Next, Chevrolet has always been big on using little fusible links in the smaller wires with the 3/8" ring terminals that connect where the big red one does. If this link blows (opens), you cant see it. It will look fine. Tug on it a tad at the ring terminal back about 4 or 5 inches and see if it springs back when you tug it. If it does, it's open UNDER the external rubber sleeve. You just cant see it. You can prove this with a simple 12 volt test light. If you can jump the starter over and it works but it's dead at the key, and you've verified there are no blown fusible links, you've narrowed it down to either a neutral safety switch, clutch safety switch or an ignition switch. Before doing all this, I'd probably take and make sure I don't have a safety switch either hung up or just not making a good connection. Manually run her through the gears a few times. Try and start her in neutral. If it's a standard, make sure you don't have a clutch safety switch hanging you up. Floor the clutch a few times. In closing, I'd bet you end up finding it to be something above. And since I'm an optimist, I'd bet it's a rather easy fix! Let us know!
Great explanation, This should be a "Sticky" since this question comes up a lot.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:02 PM
ftf396
Instructor

Originally Posted by aussiejohn
ftf,

I had a similar "no-start" problem yesterday and traced it to a break in a wire that comes out of the junction box screwed to the inner left fender. This wire was a single strand wire and about four inches long. It went into a fusible link and the other end went into the main wiring harness.

When broken, no "key-in-ignition" buzzer noise, no dash lights, no noise from starter in "start" position. When that wire was re-attached, all was good. Mine's a '74 L48, but yo urs may have a junction box in that position. I hope this helps.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Aussiejohn
Not sure what junction box you're talking about but your discription of symptoms is just like mine. Does it have a wire that goes to the alternator? Could you send a pic ?
Thx
ftf396
Old 02-27-2014, 04:26 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

On a 74 it's under the left fender:

Old 02-28-2014, 09:05 PM
ftf396
Instructor

Originally Posted by petes74ttop
On a 74 it's under the left fender:

Well, just to let all know where I'm at on cranking, battery is good, cleaned ground cables, checked starter by jumping terminals , nothing. Then put voltage meter on solenoid just a trickle like 3/4 volt. Here's the fun part, bubba and his whole family had worked on my wiring, every thing going to the starter had been cut and spliced, I don't think there's a fusible link around. So I tried to clean up the wiring making sure connections were good and installed a correct 1108400, dated starter I've had for a year but still nothing. What should I check next the clutch safety neutral safety or switch and how?
Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To engine won't start

Old 02-28-2014, 09:26 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Well, just to let all know where I'm at on cranking, battery is good, cleaned ground cables, checked starter by jumping terminals , nothing.
Are you saying that you jumpered from the top terminal on the solenoid (where the big battery cable connects) to the small terminal closest to the block (where the purple wire connects) and the starter did not turn?
Old 02-28-2014, 09:43 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Need to be SURE there is voltage at the starter first.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:06 AM
Camivette
Racer

Time to stop and take a deep breath. Understand we'll try and help but you have to be very specific since its over the net. Is there good voltage from the battery to the starter. Check the starter ground Next operate the solenoid Just like the fbi follow the money we need to follow the voltage. I'm still leaning on starter and solenoid

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: engine won't start