C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any problems with buying an early C3 from Florida?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 10:40 AM
JCPerformance
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any problems with buying an early C3 from Florida?

It's been there most (if not all) of its life...

Is that a bad thing?

What do I look for?

I plan to restore it eventually, but any problems that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks in advance,
Old 02-24-2014, 11:39 AM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Well, they don't salt the roads down there, which is good, but if it has spent its whole life 10 feet from the ocean, it might have some salt damage. Look for rust on the frame and any metal parts. See if you can remove a kick panel and see that part of the birdcage. If it's not rusty, then the only other things would be the normal mileage related stuff.

Scott
Old 02-24-2014, 11:54 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi jcp,
I agree with Scott… I generally think of southern cars as having lived an easier life than a car from the north.
I also agree that checking the birdcage and frame for rust is still definitely required.
I'd also look for signs that the car has really been baked by the sun and heat, although those results would tend to be more cosmetic. They'd generally be dealt with with-in the limits of a normal thorough restoration.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-24-2014, 12:12 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

if the owner lived east of federal hwy (us1) there's a good chance that the car has been exposed to air-borne salt spray. check it carefully.
used to live there.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:22 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

It's a 40 year-old vehicle. Check everything that you wouldn't like to replace. Things break...parts wear; check it ALL. Get under the car, take it for a thorough test drive, and check that all the 'gizmos' actuate/operate as they are supposed to.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:01 PM
wilcar
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

Any car on either cost of Fla may have been exposed to a lot of salt air. I had a 76 L82 I bought in Orlando that was nice and clean underneath. I lived in Tampa and looked at a few C3' s that had a lot of surface rust underneath and the interiors were pretty baked from being out in the sun. A leaky t top combined with some toasted vinyl inside makes for some monkey butt odors that will take your breath away. Any beach area that allows cars to drive on the beach will add to the rust factor. I saw a nice 70 get a bath one day at Daytona Beach when the owner went into a beach bar and forgot about the high tide. The interior got soaked and then he got stuck in the loose sand and buried the rear end. Beach patrol pulled him out. Am sure he realized what an idiot he was when he sobered up!
Old 02-24-2014, 02:54 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by JCPerformance
...Any problems with buying an early C3 from Florida?...It's been there most (if not all) of its life...Is that a bad thing?...
Only for people outside Florida.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:57 PM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wilcar
Any car on either cost of Fla may have been exposed to a lot of salt air. I had a 76 L82 I bought in Orlando that was nice and clean underneath. I lived in Tampa and looked at a few C3' s that had a lot of surface rust underneath and the interiors were pretty baked from being out in the sun. A leaky t top combined with some toasted vinyl inside makes for some monkey butt odors that will take your breath away. Any beach area that allows cars to drive on the beach will add to the rust factor. I saw a nice 70 get a bath one day at Daytona Beach when the owner went into a beach bar and forgot about the high tide. The interior got soaked and then he got stuck in the loose sand and buried the rear end. Beach patrol pulled him out. Am sure he realized what an idiot he was when he sobered up!
I have seen that happen at Daytona a few times. I even saw a women washing her car on the beach dumping buckets of salt water on it

Last edited by Roco71; 02-24-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:58 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 572 Likes on 457 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

yes, the salt spray rain etc can really mess one up. check it well.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:14 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Remember that Florida is only about 100 yards from the sun.... and when it`s not 100 degrees, it`s raining. If the car has not been in a garage a lot, it could still have rust issues, even if it`s never been near the beach.

Get notified of new replies

To Any problems with buying an early C3 from Florida?

Quick Reply: Any problems with buying an early C3 from Florida?