C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Lights on all the time

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 10:33 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Brake Lights on all the time

Even when I take the key out of the ignition, the inside rear tail lights stay on. If you depress the brake pedal, it works as intended, and turns them off/on as if you were driving the car.

I diagnosed that the yellow wire connected to the rear left back up light has a constant 12 volts, and when you press the brake pedal it goes to zero as intended. It wont shut down to zero when the key is out of the ignition, which makes the rear backup lamps stay on. Any ideas?
Old 03-03-2014, 10:02 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

To the top
Old 03-03-2014, 11:32 AM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

I don't understand the problem you explained in the first post. Are the brake lights staying on all the time, then when you pull up on the brake peddle, the lights go off as they should??? That would be the brake light switch out of adjustment. But what about the rest of the explanation of problem??
Old 03-04-2014, 08:15 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

Originally Posted by stinger12
Even when I take the key out of the ignition, the inside rear tail lights stay on. If you depress the brake pedal, it works as intended, and turns them off/on as if you were driving the car.

I diagnosed that the yellow wire connected to the rear left back up light has a constant 12 volts, and when you press the brake pedal it goes to zero as intended. It wont shut down to zero when the key is out of the ignition, which makes the rear backup lamps stay on. Any ideas?
To the top.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:30 AM
Yeller81USNRet
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the switch down by the brake pedal see if it is malfunctioning.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:28 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

If you expect real analysis you will need to give some more information. You dont say what year. It is difficult without that one piece of essential information. In most cases there are no inside tail lights. The inside tail lights are back up lights. So we cant really understand what you are saying. They dont work with the tail lights or brake lights. My guess from the symptoms, there are two problems going on. One, there is power back there all of the time. That shouldn`t bee. So you are going to have to work that back to the source and see why. Second , there is probably a bad ground back there somewhere that makes the path to ground go through the other light socket.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:58 AM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As asked earlier, if you gently pull up on the brake pedal, does the light go off?

My guess is that the brake switch adjustment was done when it was warm out, and now that it's colder, the return spring isn't pulling the pedal completly off the switch.

The switch is adjusted by two nuts. Loosen the outside lock nut, then loosen the inside nut (that will adjust the switch further away from the pedal), and then tighten the lock nut back on. Then check to see if the adjustment is correct, and the lights come on when you press the brake, and then go off when you release it.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Lights on all the time

Quick Reply: Brake Lights on all the time