C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power door lock problem on my 79

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 10:41 AM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Default power door lock problem on my 79

My power door locks blow the fuse immediately when I press the button. I now have the door panel off, and have installed a spare switch without the door panel. Now the locks work perfectly. Obviously something is shorting out with the panel on, so my question is where should i begin my search? Which wire is energized when the lock button is pressed? The fuse does not blow with the door panel installed until I hit lock or unlock.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:22 AM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

it could be the switch in the door panel being defective, try the old switch and see if it blows the fuse.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:54 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by C3 4ME
My power door locks blow the fuse immediately when I press the button. I now have the door panel off, and have installed a spare switch without the door panel. Now the locks work perfectly. Obviously something is shorting out with the panel on, so my question is where should i begin my search? Which wire is energized when the lock button is pressed? The fuse does not blow with the door panel installed until I hit lock or unlock.
When I replaced the actuators, I found the switch connector in the door panel had frayed wires (see photos in linked article) so I replaced the switches as well. It was operating intermittently and replacing the connector corrected the problem.

RPO AU3 Repair

Get notified of new replies

To power door lock problem on my 79

Quick Reply: power door lock problem on my 79