C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wipers still not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 02:33 PM
Hals76
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wipers still not working

My wipers will not work when turned on. when you turn the wipers on the pump to the washer turns on but not the wipers. Switched to fast and they don't work.
I just replaced the dash switch and the wipers still do not work. When the switch is turned on, the washer pump runs not the wipers. If you push the switch in for washer and wiper, it will work for that only.
Do I need to replace the motor?

1976 Stingray L-48

Please any ideas!
Old 03-09-2014, 03:01 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Willcox has troubleshooting videos on his website. They helped me.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:21 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

Make sure the wiper switch is not plugged in wrong, it will give weird symptoms like you have. Also make sure there is a ground wire to the wiper motor housing. Also need to make sure the body of the wiper switch is grounded to the gauge bezel, if the small gauge bezel is broken there will be no ground to the switch. Let us know about those and we'll go from there with more ideas.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:20 PM
jotto
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by my 76 ray
Willcox has troubleshooting videos on his website. They helped me.

Last edited by jotto; 03-09-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:47 PM
Hals76
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by '75
Make sure the wiper switch is not plugged in wrong, it will give weird symptoms like you have. Also make sure there is a ground wire to the wiper motor housing. Also need to make sure the body of the wiper switch is grounded to the gauge bezel, if the small gauge bezel is broken there will be no ground to the switch. Let us know about those and we'll go from there with more ideas.
On installation I tried reversing the switch plug and the wipers worked on low only. I failed to mention that on my first post. Where does the ground wire come from and go to on the motor housing? I see the three bolts and nuts that hold the top portion of the motor to the fire wall and there is no wires coming from there.
Thank you.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:40 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

My '74 has a male spade type connector on the wiper motor housing.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:42 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

The ground tab is usually on one of the small bolts that hold the plastic cover on, the ground wire plugs to it. The ground wire goes into the harness and grounds the blower motor and ultimately grounds near the starter on a bell housing bolt or starter bolt.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:33 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Thanks for posting that Jotto..

Even though it's possible to plug the wiper switch connector in backwards, if it's backward it will not seat all the way down on the switch. There is a shoulder there that keeps it from going all the way on (shown below).

Is the wiper switch grounded? The wiper switch itself picks up ground from the center dash bezel. If the bezel is broken in the corners this can cause the switch to not be grounded. If this is the case, you would need to run jumper wire from the switch bolt down to one of the small gauge housing screws.

Make sure you have the switch plugged in properly, make sure you have the wiper motor grounded (you can see the lug in the circle below.. it's right next to the black wire going to the motor), make sure you have a grounded wiper motor switch.. If you have all of these items then bench test the motor according to the video above.

Willcox

Get notified of new replies

To Wipers still not working

Quick Reply: Wipers still not working