C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does this make any sense to you.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 08:43 AM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Default does this make any sense to you.

The rod manufactures say that on the exhaust stroke its very hard on the rod when it gets to the top has to pull the piston weight momentum back to change direction. This is where more rods fail. The 302 SBC dome piston with the 5.70 rods, a dome, most likely the heavy TRW brand of the day, had to give the rod and rod bolts a real work out on that exhaust stroke. My 69 had 3/8 bolts, what ever the grade of rod material was back then. I only put 36,000 miles on the car from new. But it was constantly being run at 4000 to 7500 + everywhere it went. Yes the cam profile was very mild compared to today, but then the single spring on it I suppose nothing in quality compared to todays valve springs whether its a single behive or whatever you may choose. The single spring being high reved all the time still doing the job when the car went, did not break.

But back to rods. I want a 6.125 rod, the piston and pin weight will be nothing compared to the old 302 piston and pin.

The scat 4340 pro rod for less then $350.00 seems like it would be light yrs better then the olden days. Seems like you would have to have one hell of an engine to need more.

Last edited by Little Mouse; 03-12-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:03 AM
Danish Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Mouse
The rod manufactures say that on the exhaust stroke its very hard on the rod when it gets to the top has to pull the piston weight momentum back to change direction. This is where more rods fail.
No expert, but that does make sense to me. It's the only time the bolts take the load of the piston.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:42 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Any 4340 forged rod with 7/16 quality bolts is good for 500 HP and 7000+ RPM.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:24 AM
StraubTech
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Mouse
The rod manufactures say that on the exhaust stroke its very hard on the rod when it gets to the top has to pull the piston weight momentum back to change direction. This is where more rods fail. The 302 SBC dome piston with the 5.70 rods, a dome, most likely the heavy TRW brand of the day, had to give the rod and rod bolts a real work out on that exhaust stroke. My 69 had 3/8 bolts, what ever the grade of rod material was back then. I only put 36,000 miles on the car from new. But it was constantly being run at 4000 to 7500 + everywhere it went. Yes the cam profile was very mild compared to today, but then the single spring on it I suppose nothing in quality compared to todays valve springs whether its a single behive or whatever you may choose. The single spring being high reved all the time still doing the job when the car went, did not break.

But back to rods. I want a 6.125 rod, the piston and pin weight will be nothing compared to the old 302 piston and pin.

The scat 4340 pro rod for less then $350.00 seems like it would be light yrs better then the olden days. Seems like you would have to have one hell of an engine to need more.
Yes, and as you add piston speed the more critical this is. On mountain motors, the 700CID plus this is why pistons and rods have to be changed so often. The pin bores in the piston and pin bore in the rod bellmouth. The piston changes direction 2X.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:14 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by StraubTech
Yes, and as you add piston speed the more critical this is. On mountain motors, the 700CID plus this is why pistons and rods have to be changed so often. The pin bores in the piston and pin bore in the rod bellmouth. The piston changes direction 2X.
Chris, have already ditched my plan sending off for a different rod lol. but I do think for what they are the scat pro rod is a nice deal to do what most would want without any of this fancy NOS. stuff I know zero about.

I have a set of long H beam eagles 660 grams (to heavy not needed now) the scat pro rod 610 grams. Now going to order a set of eagle H beam light weight 555 grams, keep the piston pin weight low. Gkull had better be wrong on eagle junk or I'm in heavy dog turds again. a small engine build, I love pain

Get notified of new replies

To does this make any sense to you.

Quick Reply: does this make any sense to you.