C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift linkage problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 02:35 PM
blydy
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift linkage problem

Last night I tried to take the Vette for a ride but it was stuck in gear (or more likely between gears). It wouldn’t move. I could run through the shift pattern and it sounded and felt like everything was fine but it would not go.

I put it in neutral and could not push it.

Last year it I backed out of the garage and could not get it out of reverse. If I put it in any forward gear I got the same thing I’m getting now. I could only get reverse. So I got it back in the garage, got underneath and “wiggled” all the links. Suddenly, everything is fine - until now.

Can anybody give me any suggestions on how to solve this problem, where do I start?
:confused:
Old 07-17-2002, 02:50 PM
trw
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Shift linkage problem (blydy)

I'd wiggle everything again. :) :)

Sounds like you either have an alignment problem with your linkage or something is binding. You need to get under and have someone shift through the gears and see if everything is moving right.

Hope this helps.

Terry
Old 07-17-2002, 03:11 PM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Shift linkage problem (trw)

Years ago had same problem on 1973 Z -28 Camaro ,IS your vette a 73 ? anyways took it back to dealer twice on warranty.......seems it got stuck in two gears at same time, was advised it had to do with sterring lock mechanism & shifter linkage, anyways strongly suggest Hurst comp pluss ,what a change , put one on my 66 big/block shifts beautifly.,,,the DOG odified by StrayDog, 2:12 PM 7/17/2002] :yesnod:

[Modified by StrayDog, 2:15 PM 7/17/2002]
Old 07-17-2002, 04:20 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Shift linkage problem (blydy)

It sounds like you need to re-adjust your linkage and maybe replace the bushings (if yours has them) and the spring clips. A trick to help tighten up things is to put a flat washer between the shift arm and the spring clip. You can get new clips at an autoparts store. I know Autozone and O'Reilly's has them, Checker/Shucks/Kragen may as well. I don't know where you are located
Old 07-17-2002, 04:23 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Shift linkage problem (StrayDog)

Shifter linkage wears and slop allows for two gears at once. Pretty simple adjustment procedure outlined in the Haynes manual. If you don't have a Haynes yet, get one. I found it answers most questions with good diagrams or pictures. Mine is held together with duct tape and engine grease.(the manual, not the shifter :jester )
Old 07-18-2002, 08:48 AM
blydy
Heel & Toe

Default On the road again!

I wiggled it again and now it's working.

Actually, the reverse link was stuck. I pried it with a screw driver and it popped out, now everything is fine. All the links seemed tight, no slop. I guess someday I'll have to slightly adjust this link.

By the way, the car is a 79.

Thanks for all the help! :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Shift linkage problem

Quick Reply: Shift linkage problem