C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Periodic backfire out exhaust then stall

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 01:26 AM
BeansWorld
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Periodic backfire out exhaust then stall

Hi team,

I'm driving a 1970 454 with a Holley 830 cfm carb and MSD Digital-6 Plus ignition system with Mallory fuel pump, all installed via previous owner. Generally speaking, everything runs excellent. Very strong. I rebuilt the carb last summer; it was leaking fuel so I did a simple gasket replacement and cleaning. I didn't get into the floats and jets. The rest of the car / fuel system has low mileage (around 7k) but was restored around 12-15 years ago.

Now, every once in a while, I'll get a quick hesitation, then a backfire (one quick pop) out the exhaust. It'll then usually stall and will only crank but not start. If I sit around, it may eventually start after a few minutes. This has happened about 5 times.

I called the service department at MSD; tech support stated the unit would completely fail and would not be intermittent. I don't have experience in these matters and can't confirm.

I just replaced the cap and rotor and haven't given it a new test run. That should come tomorrow. It did start and idle as before.

Any thoughts as to fuel vs spark and how I should conduct additional testing?

Please help a rookie out,

Eugene
Old 03-24-2015, 07:37 AM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Sounds like a heat related problem with the ignition.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:12 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

When it will not start check for spark. If no spark then check for power to the MSD. The instruction tab of this page has a link to the installation instructions that explain how the wires to the MSD are connected.
https://www.msdignition.com/Products...n_Control.aspx

If you don't have spark and you have power to the MSD then check for power to the positive side of the coil.

If no spark and you have power to the coil then it's probably the coil but could also be a shorted condenser in the distrib if you still have points or the pickup if you no longer have points. I'm pretty sure the condenser is only there to suppress radio noise so you can disconnect it from the points to test. Of course all of this has to be done while it still won't start so it's good to make sure it still won't start if all the tests pass.

Good luck.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:51 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by my 76 ray
When it will not start check for spark. If no spark then check for power to the MSD. The instruction tab of this page has a link to the installation instructions that explain how the wires to the MSD are connected.
https://www.msdignition.com/Products...n_Control.aspx

If you don't have spark and you have power to the MSD then check for power to the positive side of the coil.

If no spark and you have power to the coil then it's probably the coil but could also be a shorted condenser in the distrib if you still have points or the pickup if you no longer have points. I'm pretty sure the condenser is only there to suppress radio noise so you can disconnect it from the points to test. Of course all of this has to be done while it still won't start so it's good to make sure it still won't start if all the tests pass.

Good luck.
You are a natural troubleshooter.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:44 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Now, every once in a while, I'll get a quick hesitation, then a backfire (one quick pop) out the exhaust. It'll then usually stall and will only crank but not start. If I sit around, it may eventually start after a few minutes. This has happened about 5 times.
This sounds like the accelerator pump has or is failing. Happens while driving before the MSD install or is everything you are describing after the MSD install?
Old 03-24-2015, 04:40 PM
BeansWorld
Instructor

The MSD was installed by the PO during the restoration, probably around year 2000-2002. Points presumably removed during this time.

I'll run through the checklist during the next failure, thanks so much for the lead.

Regards,

Eugene
Old 04-07-2015, 11:55 PM
BeansWorld
Instructor

I replaced the distributor cap and rotor as part of maintenance and to start the troubleshooting process. Turns out it had a hairline crack from bottom to top. Difficult to see even. I have about three hours of driving in, everything's been great.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

Regards,

Eugene

Get notified of new replies

To Periodic backfire out exhaust then stall

Quick Reply: Periodic backfire out exhaust then stall