C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Correct TH400 tail housing bushing

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 08:35 PM
jimkari
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Correct TH400 tail housing bushing

I am rebuilding my '73 conv with a TH400 auto trans. The tail housing bushing that is in the trans is about 3/4" long. It's flush with the rear of the bore where it sits. The bore is about 1" long and thus the bushing does not fill the full bore. The bushing in my ATP rebuild kit is 1.5" long which means it will stick out beyond the bore. Should I find the same size bushing that's in my trans now, or go with the bushing that came with the kit. The longer bushing seems like it would support the drive shaft better. If I go with the longer bushing should I center it in the bore or have it flush with the rear or the front of the bore?

Thanks, I really appreciate any advice you can give.

Jim
Old 03-20-2014, 02:55 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

why dont you contact the technical manager of ATP

http://www.atp-inc.com/contactus.aspx
Old 03-20-2014, 06:04 PM
jimkari
Racer

Thanks for the tip. I did speak with the tech guy at ATP. Very nice guy, but admitted he'd only been there for about a month. He said all the old guys with all the knowledge had retired. He unfortunately could provide any advice.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:18 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If there is enough depth for the longer bushing (without interference with other parts or other negative results), install the full bushing. But, you don't want any of the bushing to protrude from the rear housing.

If you need to, you can cut some of it off. Just make certain that you deburr the cut edge and chamfer it a touch. Also, put the 'cut' edge toward the inside of the case.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:51 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I'd drive the new bushing in until the rear face is flush with .he housing and let the front fall where it will if it does not interfere with anything. As long as the rear is not into the seal cavity it should be fine. And the longer bushing will add some support to the yoke,
Old 03-21-2014, 01:44 PM
jimkari
Racer

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the tips.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Correct TH400 tail housing bushing

Quick Reply: Correct TH400 tail housing bushing