C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric radiator fans (wiring)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 02:50 PM
LudemJo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Electric radiator fans (wiring)

OK, so my radiator should be here tomorrow. I got the dual electric fans rather than struggle with the shroud. My question is, where is the most convenient/best place to tap into switched 12V power for the relay circuit to power the fans?

I am probably going to buy the relays and such through my local Advance Auto Parts, but just thinking ahead to the wiring.

Thanks a million for any help/advice on this part of my winter rebuild.

John
Old 03-21-2014, 03:29 PM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

I connected my fan to the hot lead of the alternator, was the most convenient spot for me. I mounted the relay on the drivers side fender near the rest of the wiring there.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:16 PM
wilcar
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 161 Posts

I ran an 8 gauge wire from the alternator hot lead to a colehersee 24059 continous duty solenoid/relay and on the power out side of the solenoid I ran 2 10 gauge fused wires, one for each fan. To trigger the relay I used 12v switched power from the hei distributor power wire. The 24059 is rated at 80 amps constant duty. I use a cylinder head mounted temp switch that goes to the ground terminal on the relay that turns the fan on at 200 and off at 180. I also have a manual toggle inside so I can turn the fan on and off at will.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:58 PM
LudemJo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks all! Really hoping this portion of the rebuild will be fairly quick and painless. I have not seen my radiator yet, but Fedex tracking says I should have it today.

Still waiting on my back ordered tie rod end from Zip's, so I can't get it on the road until that comes in anyway, although I could balance the PSCV once I can run the engine.

Kind of at a standstill at the moment, but today has been beautiful so I took the Harley for a short ride today before the snow comes again on Tuesday.

God, I hate winter!!!

John
Old 03-22-2014, 07:14 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

If you choose to use a manual switch...which is your choice...and you have Air Conditioning....it might be wise to have the fans on when you turn your A/C on. I have recently wired in electric fans for a customer and I also installed another relay that is an A/C request relay...so when he turns on his A/C...the dual fans come on as needed to pull air across the condenser...because NO fan on the water pump any longer.

DUB
Old 03-22-2014, 08:37 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by LudemJo
OK, so my radiator should be here tomorrow. I got the dual electric fans rather than struggle with the shroud. My question is, where is the most convenient/best place to tap into switched 12V power for the relay circuit to power the fans?

I am probably going to buy the relays and such through my local Advance Auto Parts, but just thinking ahead to the wiring.

Thanks a million for any help/advice on this part of my winter rebuild.

John
From under the hood, the easy way is to splice into the yellow wire in the middle of your WSW motor plug, it is a switched hot, when you kill the ign the wipers stop....so the fans stop also.....

and so the other side of the relay coil is to be grounded by whatever you decide....computer control or some temp sensor in the engine....

the main fan power comes directly off the alternator, and NOT THE BATTERY!!!! of course the fans are grounded to the engine or frame frame being simpler,....ASSuming the battery and other engine ground to the frame are totally Kosher......done right.....

feel free to PM me as I maybe miss this thread.....
Old 03-22-2014, 10:15 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

The fan motor wire goes to the alt positive post and my 12v ign wire I ran through a grommet into the car and tapped a terminal on the fuse block. My by pass switch is my AC hi/low switch. I tapped into that switch so if I need my fans on, I just hit the AC but the hi/low switch is constant power unlike tapping the compressor leads. Then the fan only turns on when the compressor is engaged.

Get notified of new replies

To Electric radiator fans (wiring)

Quick Reply: Electric radiator fans (wiring)