C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1980 Suspension upgrade on a budget questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 11:46 PM
Dale760
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 1980 Suspension upgrade on a budget questions

Well after working on my engine compartment for a month, body work in progress and now a Richmond 6 speed coming soon, Im ready to start ordering some suspension parts.

This car is only for fun, for sure a auto cross now and then, and even a track day, but maybe not

I dont want to spend a bazillion $$ on the chassis, but do want it to handle as well as I can on a budget.

This is what I have in mind, and Im open for suggestions from the pros on this forum that have done it. I want to be sure to get the ride height right that is also well balanced

1980 Model small block car with GM crate motor, vortec iron heads

17 x 8 Front rims with 4" BS with Nitto 555 245-45-17s

18 x 9.5 Rear rims with 5" BS with Nitto 555 285-40-18s

Coil over front shocks with 450 lb springs , I would think 400 lb is not the way to go ?

Or new Gymkhana type springs with Bilstein sport shocks, but Im not crazy about cutting springs unless I do it once ?

Stock 1 1/8" front sway bar with all new poly bushings

All new/ rebuilt stock upper and lower A Arms with poly bushings

Front spreader bar kit

Rear sway bar kit 3/4 " or 7/8" which one ? >>>> I have a new stock composite spring on the car and want to run it for now.

8 " long leaf spring bolts, is this what I need ?

Rear smart strut kit

Bilstien HD rear shocks, do the auto cross versions work that much better, they cost allot more and I have a feeling I may not need to go there ?

I also plan to install or make a interior shark bar to stiffen up the car a bit more and have belt mounting

Thats about it , let me know what you think or any suggestions please

Thanks Dale
Old 03-27-2014, 01:33 AM
Dale760
Racer

Bump
Old 03-27-2014, 09:48 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 519 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Nevada Silver
Well after working on my engine compartment for a month, body work in progress and now a Richmond 6 speed coming soon, Im ready to start ordering some suspension parts.

This car is only for fun, for sure a auto cross now and then, and even a track day, but maybe not

I dont want to spend a bazillion $$ on the chassis, but do want it to handle as well as I can on a budget.

This is what I have in mind, and Im open for suggestions from the pros on this forum that have done it. I want to be sure to get the ride height right that is also well balanced

1980 Model small block car with GM crate motor, vortec iron heads

17 x 8 Front rims with 4" BS with Nitto 555 245-45-17s

18 x 9.5 Rear rims with 5" BS with Nitto 555 285-40-18s

Coil over front shocks with 450 lb springs , I would think 400 lb is not the way to go ?

Or new Gymkhana type springs with Bilstein sport shocks, but Im not crazy about cutting springs unless I do it once ?

Stock 1 1/8" front sway bar with all new poly bushings

All new/ rebuilt stock upper and lower A Arms with poly bushings

Front spreader bar kit

Rear sway bar kit 3/4 " or 7/8" which one ? >>>> I have a new stock composite spring on the car and want to run it for now.

8 " long leaf spring bolts, is this what I need ?

Rear smart strut kit

Bilstien HD rear shocks, do the auto cross versions work that much better, they cost allot more and I have a feeling I may not need to go there ?

I also plan to install or make a interior shark bar to stiffen up the car a bit more and have belt mounting

Thats about it , let me know what you think or any suggestions please

Thanks Dale
I would look at complete kits on how they match front and rear.

eg vbanp street salom kits use 550lb front and 360lb rear.

grand tour kits use 460lb front with 330lb rear.

not sure what your current rear spring is rated at, and if one manufacture vs the other will compare. The 8" rear bolt may lead to a very high ride height.

Last edited by cagotzmann; 03-27-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:22 PM
Dale760
Racer

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
I would look at complete kits on how they match front and rear.

eg vbanp street salom kits use 550lb front and 360lb rear.

grand tour kits use 460lb front with 330lb rear.

not sure what your current rear spring is rated at, and if one manufacture vs the other will compare. The 8" rear bolt may lead to a very high ride height.

Thanks for you input

Ive looked at the VBP kits and I like the street slalom kit for $1200

But I like the idea of coil overs so I can play with the ride height, and my front sway bar is fine. I will need to check the part number on my rear spring and ask a few guys with my wheel and tire combo about the rear leaf bolts. I still need to freshen all the control arms and I need to do all of this the most cost effective way.

I know after market units that allow caster changes are better, but I will not be doing high speeds very often.

I need to dig deeper on all this, but I do know what you mean about a proven and tested package

DW
Old 03-28-2014, 02:00 AM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Off subject, but do you have any pictures of your car? I'm curious to see the look of the tire sizes. Thanks!
Old 03-28-2014, 10:41 AM
Dale760
Racer

Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
Off subject, but do you have any pictures of your car? I'm curious to see the look of the tire sizes. Thanks!

Sorry not much to look at yet other than my before and after engine bay, I have many of my parts on the way including a set of Coy wheels I was able to order yesterday. I lucked out and they had plenty of rears and 6 fronts in stock. Im going with the gun metal

They dont make the 18 x 9.5 with 5.0 BS any longer so I went with what they have, which is the same wheel with 5.5 BS.

Some have had minor tire rub with these, but that should be an easy fix if I have the problem.

I also went what they had , being a 17 x 8 with 4.5 BS since David at Coys told me he guarantees they will fit fine with my tire size.

Ive read stories about Coys service, but so far David was great. Was real busy, so went and checked stock then called me back. I asked him to check the wheels for me before shipping out and he said he would do that personally.

Having my own small company making motorcycle performance parts, I do know how it can be. You will hear about a handful of un happy customers on the internet but very few of the thousands that are happy.

I asked him about the possibility of rear wheel rub and he included longer rear lug nuts at no charge in case I need to run a 1/4 spacer, my suggestion. So far so good, I will report more when I get them and my experience.

I was going to have American Racing torque thrust wheels made up, like I did for my Camaro project, but these saved me about $400 to put towards my tires.

I would look over the wheel thread from the sticky section to see these on a few cars, then if you can swing it call Coys and order a set while they have stock. Ask for David and let him know Dale Walker from Nevada that makes the bike parts sent you that has a 1980 Corvette

Driving 6 hours today to buy a 6 speed Richmond so got to hit the road

Cheers Dale
Old 03-28-2014, 10:43 AM
Dale760
Racer

Take a look here

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...re-combos.html

Old 03-28-2014, 09:54 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

I'm suggesting a Complete kit as said above. It kinda sounds as though Your car might of been a Gymkahana Car by the sounds of Your Sway Bar dimensions. I'd check this out. A call to VB&P (or anybody else ) for suggestions might be in order. I You buy one of there Kits they can leave parts out, in other words if You already have the same sway bar the kit has they can just leave it out. I wouldn't be that concerned about the ride height, the vast majority of C3's are running front Coil Springs right out of the box. There is no way to guess what rear end Bolt length You will need, most likely 8", but they are just Grade 8 bolts available at Your local Nut and Bolt store.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:14 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Dale! Wish I would have read this earlier. I have about anything you need around the workshop including some QA1 coil overs if your interested. I had a "tuned up" F-41 type suspension on the shop floor getting ready to ship to Texas if the money shows up. Good talking with you, maybe I'll give you a call before you take off tomorrow
Old 03-29-2014, 01:44 AM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm actually only interested in seeing the 245/45 & 285/40 combination regardless of wheels.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:36 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Bilstien SPORT, not the HD...front and rear,... #550 springs up front, cut 1/2 coil
1 1/4" front 7/8" rear sway bars. 3/4" in the rear will give to much over steer..
yes on the spreader bar:-)
10" rear bolts. 360 rear spring, NOT TRW type.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:07 PM
Dale760
Racer

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
I'm suggesting a Complete kit as said above. It kinda sounds as though Your car might of been a Gymkahana Car by the sounds of Your Sway Bar dimensions. I'd check this out. A call to VB&P (or anybody else ) for suggestions might be in order. I You buy one of there Kits they can leave parts out, in other words if You already have the same sway bar the kit has they can just leave it out. I wouldn't be that concerned about the ride height, the vast majority of C3's are running front Coil Springs right out of the box. There is no way to guess what rear end Bolt length You will need, most likely 8", but they are just Grade 8 bolts available at Your local Nut and Bolt store.

Thanks GB80

I hear yah about a kit that's proven and in the end may go that route, but Im going to dig deeper first to see if I can save some money, and I like to tinker. I need to see what my rear spring is exactly first then go from there.If its going to be way soft maybe I will buy another. From what I read it seems like maybe 10" bolts with the composite spring end up about 9" once set up properly. My front sway bar is 1 1/8 and thats staying with a rebuild only.

Proper 550 lb rate front springs may be the way to go to save some $$ and spend the tine trimming a half to 1 coil even though Id have to take it apart a couple times. I want the car sitting just to my liking.

My car does not have a rear sway bar, not sure if it ever had one but seems like it would have with the front bar I have.

Cheers DW
Old 03-29-2014, 08:10 PM
Dale760
Racer

I'm actually only interested in seeing the 245/45 & 285/40 combination regardless of wheels.

There are a few members cars in there thread with that combo 540r

D
Old 03-29-2014, 08:16 PM
Dale760
Racer

Originally Posted by pauldana
Bilstien SPORT, not the HD...front and rear,... #550 springs up front, cut 1/2 coil
1 1/4" front 7/8" rear sway bars. 3/4" in the rear will give to much over steer..
yes on the spreader bar:-)
10" rear bolts. 360 rear spring, NOT TRW type.

Thanks Paul

This is good info, can you show me a couple pictures of your car please, and tell me tire and wheel combo your running with the above set up. Sounds like it would be a very close start or maybe the finished product.

Dale
Old 03-29-2014, 08:30 PM
Dale760
Racer

Originally Posted by Solid LT1
Dale! Wish I would have read this earlier. I have about anything you need around the workshop including some QA1 coil overs if your interested. I had a "tuned up" F-41 type suspension on the shop floor getting ready to ship to Texas if the money shows up. Good talking with you, maybe I'll give you a call before you take off tomorrow

Hi Eric

I just got home at about 4 PM, what a whirlwind. Was lucky I picked highway 50 on the way back, 88 & 80 both had chain controls, but 50 was only a down poor of rain. Dodged the slow drive bullet on that one. Great meeting you once again and glad I have the nice 6 speed for my car. Man you have quite the collection of parts, but who am I to talk .........lol >>>> It was great to see Bob W again also

Maybe give me a list of what you have suspension wise or call me tomorrow on my cell. I hope to be working my Camaro with brother Paul tomorrow or on the dyno with my 2013 FZ8 finishing my new tuning box. I just did a re flash on that one and need to get back on it. I finally completely sorted the Ninja 1000 before I came down with my new EFI tuner and exhaust.

Got to go now , Im bushed

Thanks Dale
Old 03-29-2014, 08:45 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

If You don't have a rear sway bay then its probably not a F 41 car. Generally the soft spring stiff sway bar is the approach used on street cars, which is what the GT packages are. Another option for adjustability up front is the transverse spring offered by VB&P, but now your getting away from your budget. I'd drive the car just the way it is and determine how stiff or soft it is, then replace all the bushings with poly, use the standard performance upgrade parts in the rear suspension. Plan on new Trailing arm Bushings as well. For the most part make what You already have work its best.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:27 PM
Dale760
Racer

Hi 540r

I went back and found the article on Garys C3, a member here that did allot with very little.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...hevy_corvette/

His wheel and tire combo is close to what Im doing as well as mods. Granted Gary has driving skills galore, but shows you how well you can make these cars handle without spending a fortune, and using a common sense approach.

Ive done this with with motor cycles for over 34 years, as well as 5 other muscle cars and always enjoy being the under dog

Personally I like the look of the 17" in front, and the rims and tires are a little less money, just me on this one though.

Cheers DW

Get notified of new replies

To 1980 Suspension upgrade on a budget questions

Old 03-30-2014, 12:47 PM
Dale760
Racer

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
If You don't have a rear sway bay then its probably not a F 41 car. Generally the soft spring stiff sway bar is the approach used on street cars, which is what the GT packages are. Another option for adjustability up front is the transverse spring offered by VB&P, but now your getting away from your budget. I'd drive the car just the way it is and determine how stiff or soft it is, then replace all the bushings with poly, use the standard performance upgrade parts in the rear suspension. Plan on new Trailing arm Bushings as well. For the most part make what You already have work its best.

Hi GB

I got the VBP catalog about a month ago, and they do make some trick parts. Yep I dont need to spend the dollars on the front spring conversion and it also looks pretty low to the ground. Just my luck I would tear it off the car.

? Who makes and sells a traction bar set up

I think the best bang for the buck is to go through all the stock parts as you mentioned , proper rear spring, 550 rate front springs cut for proper ride height, shocks and the other few items here and there.

Once I get it set up I most likely will leave it alone, though Im a pretty competitive type, this is just a hobby and fun car to play with even if I do a auto cross now and then.

Ive raced for years on a national level and Im done with all that, way to much work and $$$s

Its always good to ask guys that have done it and I really appreciate the insight and info

D
Old 03-30-2014, 01:06 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Do you have coil over front shock that are adjustable or the old style heavy duty load carrier coil over shocks?
If you have the old style? They work great for a good ride, not so much for handling. I purchased Koni adjustable rebound shocks with great results for a little over $100 each. Add that to 550 spring and a bigger front sway bar, you'll have a slot car. Ride quality will suffer on ruff roads!
If budget is supper tight, sway bar would be my first pick to upgrade
Old 03-30-2014, 10:29 PM
Dale760
Racer

Originally Posted by hugie82
Do you have coil over front shock that are adjustable or the old style heavy duty load carrier coil over shocks?
If you have the old style? They work great for a good ride, not so much for handling. I purchased Koni adjustable rebound shocks with great results for a little over $100 each. Add that to 550 spring and a bigger front sway bar, you'll have a slot car. Ride quality will suffer on ruff roads!
If budget is supper tight, sway bar would be my first pick to upgrade

Thanks Hugie

Nope its all stock right now, I do have QA1 coil overs on my Camaro build, but going conventional on my Vette so I can spend the money on the proper rear spring. I think I better pull the trigger tomorrow since I just got a 20% off e mail coupon from Ecklers today.

Two of you now have suggested the 1 1/4" sway bar up front, though since mine is 1 1/8th " >>> I wonder if I really need the next step up or not ? >>> I may start with what I have

They have a pretty good deal on a set of 4 Billstein sport shocks so Im going with those and the 550 lb rate springs set up to my liking

DW

Quick Reply: 1980 Suspension upgrade on a budget questions