C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Valve Issue - Help me get this black beauty back on the road!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 11:56 AM
dmisar
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Valve Issue - Help me get this black beauty back on the road!

I have a 1981 Corvette and I've been having an issue with my steering fluid leaking. Over the past several years it's gone from needing a bottle of fluid about once per year to needing a bottle per week. It looked to me like the leak was coming from the steering control valve so I ordered a rebuild kit and disassembled it. I think I found the part causing the issue, but the kit didn't come with a replacement part. It is the washer that fits inside one of the seals (this part can be seen at 5:20 in this rebuild video
). This washer is flaking apart and I believe it is what caused the seal to fail (see pictures attached).

My piston also has some unusual wear but I'm not sure if its anything to worry about.

Not sure what to do at this point. I'm afraid if I re-install this flakey washer it is going to develop a leak again. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!!
Attached Images    
Old 03-29-2014, 05:52 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

The valve surface is damaged and needs to be replaced. To repair it would cost more than buying a salvaged control valve (junk yard) and scavanging the valve for your use [a don't know of a source for that valve separately].

That seal/washer looks to be in bad shape, too. I'm surprised that it didn't come with the repair kit.

You may want to contact Jim_Shea directly and have him advise on where to get those specific parts.

Quick Reply: Steering Valve Issue - Help me get this black beauty back on the road!