C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strange radio operation

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 08:37 PM
jnywadd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default strange radio operation

I have installed an aftermarket radio in my c3 that will operate most of the time. Sometimes the radio will not power on unless I take the radio back out and disconnect and reconnect the plug that goes into the radio. Does that make any sense to anyone? I have tried everything that I can think of too no avail. The radio always retains the programmed stations, is grounded properly, and the plug is nice and tight in the unit. I can jiggle every wire and the radio will continue to play but for some reason, turning the car on and off several times will sometimes not let the radio turn on as it should. I can't figure it out, but it sure is annoying!
Old 03-31-2014, 01:43 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

have you contacted the source where you purchased it? When it wont power on, have you tested the plug with a voltmeter?
Old 03-31-2014, 05:38 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
have you contacted the source where you purchased it? When it wont power on, have you tested the plug with a voltmeter?
You might clip an LED across the power lines and watch what happens with that. How does your fuze look? Clean contacts, etc.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:00 PM
jnywadd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MelWff
Not yet, but that is what I am going to try.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:51 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Is this one of those classic autosound radios? the connectors on the back of those don't have very good terminal tension and I could see these symptoms happening if it's this brand.

Get notified of new replies

To strange radio operation

Quick Reply: strange radio operation