C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

71 carpet install question

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 09:18 AM
RizVet
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Default 71 carpet install question

Can a new carpet be installed wihtout removing the shift console? I would be happy to just remove the ebrake console and forward side trim panels and the rest to do this job. Removing the center console is always a major hassle with that tight fitting AC control mechanism. Take top plate off to reach inside is ok, but removal as we all know is not fun.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:25 AM
jcloving
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It could probably be done. Just a hassle to guide carpet in and up beside shifter console. Your pain, your choice.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:35 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi R,
The shifter console really needs to be in place while you're installing the carpet.
Generally the carpet needs to be trimmed so not so much extends up under the sides of the console. The only way you know how much to trim is if the consoles are in place.
I put the carpet in, put the consoles in place, mark the carpet, remove the consoles, trim the carpet, re-install the consoles.
If too much carpet is left it 'spreads' the sides of the console and makes fitting the e-brake console more difficult.
Regards,
Alan

Before Trimming.

Before trimming.

Trimmed amount.

Trimmed amount.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:24 PM
redrdstr72
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

Default Carpet install with shift console in place

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi R,
The shifter console really needs to be in place while you're installing the carpet.
Generally the carpet needs to be trimmed so not so much extends up under the sides of the console. The only way you know how much to trim is if the consoles are in place.
I put the carpet in, put the consoles in place, mark the carpet, remove the consoles, trim the carpet, re-install the consoles.
If too much carpet is left it 'spreads' the sides of the console and makes fitting the e-brake console more difficult.
Regards,
Alan

Before Trimming.

Before trimming.

Trimmed amount.

Trimmed amount.
Alan's SO right on this. I did it this way too. I found that by removing the screws and trimming a very little at a time, the carpet tucked under the sides perfectly. I think if the console wasn't there, I'd have customer the carpet way too long and would have had to be re-trimmed when console was put back in.

Hi Alan! Hope Spring has sprung in your neck of the woods. Finally, I'm seeing some signs of the lawn...
Old 04-02-2014, 07:43 PM
kjbuster1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Carpet

Originally Posted by Riz71WBY
Can a new carpet be installed wihtout removing the shift console? I would be happy to just remove the ebrake console and forward side trim panels and the rest to do this job. Removing the center console is always a major hassle with that tight fitting AC control mechanism. Take top plate off to reach inside is ok, but removal as we all know is not fun.
Alan's pictures and details are so right. I just finished my '72 carpet. Left the console and ebrake console in place.

You can use a soldering gun to make holes.

Be prepared for a long fussy job.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:37 PM
ctuinstra
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That carpet looks great! Man that is a beautiful interior. Where did you get that carpet?
Old 04-03-2014, 10:05 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi ct,
The carpet in the picture is from Al Knock. The material is very nice but it takes a good bit of finesse to to fit it well.
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi rr72,
Still no spring like weather here…. we've had an unusually snowy cold winter.
I'm very ready for a 70 degree afternoon!
I hope you're well.
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-03-2014, 10:13 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi AW,
The carpet in your picture looks very nice.
However, if the carpet extended that far up under the consoles on a 68-72 car, a person wouldn't be able to install them properly.
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-03-2014, 10:21 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

there is no possible way I'm pulling the dashboard to install the carpet
but carpet is next on the agenda.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:47 PM
Zeus-of-Boost
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quick question while im replacing my carpet. the freaking back of the ebrake cover seems to be attached to a bolt though the body of the car . looks like you have to go under the car to loosen it to remove the ebrake cover . is this correct ?
Old 04-04-2014, 08:32 AM
redrdstr72
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts

This bolt can be a bugger to work with, especially when it comes time to re-install it. I've lost a pint or two of blood each time I've messed with it.

FWIW, you might want to consider reversing the orientation of the bolt so that it is first secured to the console. This would allow you to "thread" the bolt through the storage bin wall when replacing the console. You could then add a washer and nut from the bin side. It is easier, however, not quite the same orientation as when The General" assembled your car.

Hope this helps...
Old 04-04-2014, 09:12 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi,
I've found that you can reach the bolt from either the jack storage compartment or the battery compartment.
However if the battery is in place you can't reach it from the battery compartment.
I use a 3/8" socket, on a 1/4" drive socket wrench with no extension under the socket.
After you do it the first time its pretty straight forward.
Regards,
Alan

The bolt…. looking from the jack compartment, you can just see the front of the cardboard liner in the glove box.

The hole in the seat bulkhead the bolt passes through.

The rear of the e-brake console showing what the bolt tightens in to.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:45 AM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've read a lot of posts about what a PITA that bolt is, but having done it twice in my life I gotta say it's not that bad at all.......IF you remove the storage compartments!

If you're doing the carpets, I'd have to assume the compartments are out anyway

Edit: Alan has pictures of EVERYTHING! Can't tell you how much his pictures have helped me! !!!!

Last edited by MrJlr; 04-04-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:20 PM
Zeus-of-Boost
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THANKS SO MUCH GUYS. and sorry to jack the thread. totally didnt think about the storage bins.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:42 AM
PHIL 68
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Allan

Originally Posted by MrJlr
I've read a lot of posts about what a PITA that bolt is, but having done it twice in my life I gotta say it's not that bad at all.......IF you remove the storage compartments!

If you're doing the carpets, I'd have to assume the compartments are out anyway

Edit: Alan has pictures of EVERYTHING! Can't tell you how much his pictures have helped me! !!!!
I totally agree Allan has great pictures and they make it a lot simpler to know what to do when you can see these. Thanks Allan

Get notified of new replies

To 71 carpet install question

Quick Reply: 71 carpet install question