C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 406 has retired...........................so what's next?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 03:32 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default The 406 has retired...........................so what's next?

Talked to the machine shop the other day about the 406,and we concluded based on the evidence seen,that I've spun a bearing. The only way to tell for sure is to yank her out,drop the pan and take a looksy.
So I figure since it's out,what can I tweak to make it abit feistier?I vote for the cam,and called Comp Cams for expert advice. Must have talked to the janitor.So I'm asking the real experts,(that's you guys)how much bigger cam than the XE-274 can I run on a street driven 406.
Comp Cams says a solid won't last for the mileage I drive every week.Since I enjoy driving a lot more than wrenching,I tend to agree.I've never built a solid cam engine before,maybe I'm wrong.
Anyway,the XE-274 was too mild for me,and I was hoping someone has a proven combo they'd be willing to share.
Old 07-19-2002, 04:08 PM
thejaf
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The 406 has retired...........................so what's next? (The Money Pit)

I think it will depend on your heads. Ask Curtis this questions (mountainmotor) He has recommended a cam for my 406 with stock heads, but with Z28 springs, screw in studs, headers, etc.

It currently has a solid cam of unknown origin, but probably an older GM offroad grind, accordign to those who have seen my "measurements" of it. This cam is loud, and a little unruly.

The cam Curtis has recommended for me is an Elgin (http://www.elginind.com) Good prices, and he says they have a good quality. Getting it from Competition Products. I'd email Curtis what you have, and get him to give you a cam recommendation.

Old 07-19-2002, 05:32 PM
shawn_cake
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: The 406 has retired...........................so what's next? (The Money Pit)

I use a Comp XE288R roller in my 406. It is a 6 gear car with 3.73 rear gears.
I use LOTS of advance at idle (26 deg) with full advance (36 deg) in at 2000 rpm. It is a bit finnicky - but once you learn how to drive the beast, major fun can be had!

:crazy: :yesnod: :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To The 406 has retired...........................so what's next?

Quick Reply: The 406 has retired...........................so what's next?