C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best place to hook vacuum advance too??

Old 04-07-2014, 09:05 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Best place to hook vacuum advance too??

I just got my Quadrajet back from Lars and he noticed some issues that he felt was related to my vacuum advance. In the past, Ive hoked the vac advance up to the small tube that sits on the driver side, facing forward, just behind the throttle linkage. Lars has recommended that I use a full vacuum port, preferably directly from the manifold.

Lars also suggested that I use the long tube that comes out of the passenger side of the carb....

I currently have a 1 nipple port that I run my headlights from. I cannot find a 2 port fitting that will accommodate both size hoses. Can I split that line with a 'T' and plug my advance into it?

I guess Im a little confused because the port that Im using is the port I see all the manuals tell you to hook to, and I cant find any examples of the vac advance hooked directly to a manifold source.

edit- engine is a 1971 454 with hyd roller cam, stock pistons and heads.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:41 PM
ctuinstra
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As it was explained to me the reason to use the manifold vacuum is that you will have vac advance available at idle, where as using the upper port on the carb will not give you vac advance at idle for better emission control at the expense of idle quality.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:49 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Originally Posted by ctuinstra
As it was explained to me the reason to use the manifold vacuum is that you will have vac advance available at idle, where as using the upper port on the carb will not give you vac advance at idle for better emission control at the expense of idle quality.
That much I understand.....but where are you guys hooking it up?
Old 04-07-2014, 10:18 PM
ctuinstra
Racer

Originally Posted by Scottd
Sorry bout that. I have a Holly and I connect it to the lower port on the carb which is full manifold vacuum. Maybe your Q-Jet has one also down low. It will be below the throttle plates. If not then T off the manifold vac itself. You might have to get creative if the vac hose sizes differ.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:33 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmmmmm.....so I can run full manifold vacuum to the vacuum advance on the dizzy?

That would also clean up one more hose going across my engine

Old 04-07-2014, 10:48 PM
ctuinstra
Racer

Originally Posted by MrJlr
Hmmmmm.....so I can run full manifold vacuum to the vacuum advance on the dizzy?

That would also clean up one more hose going across my engine

Absolutely! Just make sure to unplug it when checking the idle timing.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:51 PM
Super6
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Not running full manifold vacuum to the distributor was an emissions thing. You want full vacuum to your distributor (better idle combustion, smoother cooler running at idle, more throttle response). Ask Lars for his paper on vacuum advance.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:57 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default About vacuum connections.

Lars also suggested that I use the long tube that comes out of the passenger side of the carb....
The small tube points toward the fender, that's full manifold vacuum.

I currently have a 1 nipple port that I run my headlights from. I cannot find a 2 port fitting that will accommodate both size hoses.
The source of vacuum for the headlights should be connected behind the carb.

edit- engine is a 1971 454 with hyd roller cam, stock pistons and heads.
Regards, Pete.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:58 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I may be wrong here, but I get the feeling that you are assuming that the line should be hooked up to the actual intake manifold, which is not the case. Understandable, for something that everybody seems to keep calling "manifold vacuum" There are nipples on the base of the carb that connect to manifold vacuum, (which just means below the throttle blades of the carb) The one that Lars mentioned should be on the passenger side of the carb near the choke, hook it up and drive on, buddy!

Scott
Old 04-08-2014, 02:52 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I hook my vacuum advance can to the tube fitting on the passenger side of the carb (tube surrounded by choke mechanism). That is a manifold vacuum fitting.

The headlight vacuum line would best be coming from a fitting on the manifold. Most manifolds have a pipe plug in it somewhere on the surface. Just get an adapter fitting for that pipe thread and insert a T-fitting into it. Then run vacuum line through the line filter to the vacuum reservoir/headlight actuators. Use the other outlet as you need, or cap it off. You can always use that 'extra' vacuum outlet as a place to connect a vacuum gauge when trouble-shooting.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:37 AM
mysticpete
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Lumpy idle

Hi People

Thanks for this interesting post, this maybe why my Vette runs like a woman with an Adam's apple in her throat (Lumpy as!) and then one twitch of the throttle and off she rockets, smooth as.... will have to check this out
Old 04-08-2014, 10:30 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

mysticpete...

You may also have an accelerator pump problem in your carb. That's the gizmo that gives the intake a big squirt of fuel when you shove the throttle down. No squirt; no 'spurt'....
Old 04-08-2014, 11:01 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,917 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Lars has recommended that I use a full vacuum port, preferably directly from the manifold.

I did not say that you need to use vacuum directly from the intake manifold - I stated to use a manifold vacuum source on the carb. Why can't you use the port that I suggested on the passenger side of the carb?

Lars
Old 04-12-2014, 10:44 AM
Scottd
Drifting

Originally Posted by lars
I did not say that you need to use vacuum directly from the intake manifold - I stated to use a manifold vacuum source on the carb. Why can't you use the port that I suggested on the passenger side of the carb?

Lars
I misunderstood you. I have two ports on the passenger side. One near the very base of the carb and points to front of the car ( that is too big for the vac advance line), the other is higher up on the carb body, points straight out to the right fender. Which one do I use?
Old 04-12-2014, 01:20 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,917 Likes on 1,929 Posts

I misunderstood you. I have two ports on the passenger side. One near the very base of the carb and points to front of the car ( that is too big for the vac advance line), the other is higher up on the carb body, points straight out to the right fender. Which one do I use?
There is only one port on the passenger side of the carb - use that port, since it is manifold vacuum. It's the easiest hookup for distributor vacuum. The nipple pointing forward at a 45-degree angle on the forward passenger side corner baseplate is ported vacuum intended for use with the EGR system.

Lars
Old 04-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Originally Posted by lars
There is only one port on the passenger side of the carb - use that port, since it is manifold vacuum. It's the easiest hookup for distributor vacuum. The nipple pointing forward at a 45-degree angle on the forward passenger side corner baseplate is ported vacuum intended for use with the EGR system.

Lars
Lars, sent you a email. Had no luck with the carb today on install. Let me know what you think. -Scott
Old 04-12-2014, 02:41 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

I agree with Lars on stock or mildly cammed engines should hook the vacuum advance to manifold vacuum. However, large cams with an automatic trans behind the engine often don't work well with vacuum advance hooked to manifold vacuum.

I'll use my own engine as an example. In neutral it idles just under 10 inches of vacuum. I have an adjustable vacuum advance, so I set it to bring in the timing I was looking for at idle. When I put the car in gear, the idle would drop, the vacuum would drop also, it would lose ignition timing and would begin to stall. This was not a new scenario to me, but I wanted to try manifold vacuum first.

To fix this issue, and have enough timing at idle, and have good off idle response, I went to ported vacuum. I limited mechanical advance so that I could get enough initial advance at idle without the vacuum advance and still come out at full advance at the timing my engine liked. I hooked the vacuum advance to ported vacuum on my Holley carb. Using a vacuum gauge, the adjustable vacuum advance and a limiter I made for the total amount of timing the vacuum advance could add, I dialed in best response off idle without getting into detonation and at the same time make the engine happiest with timing at cruise.

The engine would now idle strong in neutral and drop about 150 rpm in gear and idle just as strong. The throttle response was tremendous, and my engine ran cool and got great mileage. Of course I used a digital wide band sensor and a vacuum gauge to dial in the carb too.

If mine had a manual transmission, I probably could have used manifold vacuum.

The OP did not say how big his cam is. It may be his engine is at that point where ported advance and some work to the distributor is needed.

Get notified of new replies

To Best place to hook vacuum advance too??

Old 04-13-2014, 04:19 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Scott maybe u need to test that port. Do u have a vacuum gauge? Connect your vac gauge to the port u choose and verify it has vacuum.

For full manifold vac port i can usually probe it with a steel wire and see where it comes out inside the carb throat. But the pass side port does not go directly enter the carb throat so u may not probe it but u can still measure vac on it.

cardo
Old 04-13-2014, 04:39 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by cardo0
Scott maybe u need to test that port. Do u have a vacuum gauge? Connect your vac gauge to the port u choose and verify it has vacuum.

For full manifold vac port i can usually probe it with a steel wire and see where it comes out inside the carb throat. But the pass side port does not go directly enter the carb throat so u may not probe it but u can still measure vac on it.

cardo
An easier way is to just blast some carb cleaner in the port, and observe where it comes out. Please wear eye-protection while doing this, as carb cleaner in your eye, really, really, really hurts. At least, that's what I've heard......

Scott
Old 04-13-2014, 04:58 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Full manifold vacuum starts here.

Connect your hose from this port directly to the vacuum advance can.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best place to hook vacuum advance too??