C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400 Governor with nylon Drivin Gear or without ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 04:15 AM
Reinh
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TH400 Governor with nylon Drivin Gear or without ?

I've ordered a new Governor ( Macro Transmission Parts, # A34680) and managed to get the old one out from the TH400, in my car a Corvette C3,SB 350, 1974 mod.

But the old one I got out was without the Nylon Driven Gear ( see attached picture showing new and old Governor) so my questions are:

1) Is there a Governor type without such Driven Gear ?
2) If no on 1), could the old nylon gear still be stucked in the internal hole were it shall be assembled ?
3) If yes on 2), How shall I get the stucked nylon gear out, any ideas ?
4) If the G. shall be inserted WO the Gear, could I dissassemble the Drivin Gear on the new Governor, and insert it ? Will It help ?
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2014, 07:11 AM
diehrd
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 189 Posts

That gear use to be on the governor Remove tail housing or try to fish it out the speedo housing .
Old 04-11-2014, 03:30 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Yep the plastic gear is broken off in there. Try getting some dental picks and bend one and see of you can fish the gear out. Its gonna be in the hole a pretty good ways but a sharp pick might be able to stick it... Just don't break the pick off in the Trans or you will have problems.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:42 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

There's a guide pin in there that the old gear is setting on- that's the good news. Bad part is that nylon is tough. It's going to be difficult to jab anything into it so it will stick and you can remove it. If you're lucky, you might be able to heat an ice pick enough that it will melt into the old gear and stick. Never tried it, just an idea, no guarantee.

That gear is what drives the governor- if the governor is not turning, the trans won't shift- at least not at any reasonable RPM and road speed.

The gear is replaceable- drive out the roll pin, install the new gear into the old governor, drill a hole thru the new gear using the holes in the governor shaft as a guide, and install the roll pin.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:56 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

No. It must have a gear in order to be turned and function.

Don't worry about the 'missing' gear. It likely split at the roll pin and is laying in the sump pan. It will cause no harm. Remove it at the next tranny oil/filter change.

The problem is that you don't know what gear was on the original governor. Was the governor you purchased spec'ed for your car, your car's rear axle and you rear tire size? If so, then you can either install the new governor OR remove the gear from the new governor and install it in your original governor.

The governor is an important piece in the transmission, as it determines upshift/downshift timing. That is set by the size of weights (inner and outer) on the governor body and the spring inside the stem. If you know that the new governor is configured the same as your old one, I would recommend that you just use the new one. If you find that they are very different, use the gear from the new governor and install it on your present one. Or, you could purchase JUST the correct governor gear and return the new governor you purchased. [more "options"....]
Old 04-14-2014, 04:44 AM
Reinh
4th Gear

Thanks for your reply, but what do you mean with tail housing and speedo housing ? Is it possible to 'fish' the sticked nylon gear out from bottom of the Trans , if i take away the pan, filter...?

Originally Posted by diehrd
That gear use to be on the governor Remove tail housing or try to fish it out the speedo housing .
Old 04-14-2014, 09:51 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Total waste of time. The suction screen will prevent anything of significant size fron being injested by the pump. And, unless you drop Mexican jumping beans in the tranny, objects can't "leap" up into any rotating parts. Even if the roll pin dropped in the pan, it will just stay there at the bottom until you open it up for service.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:24 AM
Reinh
4th Gear

By using a 'dentist' inspection mirror with light and a steel pin, I managed to loose the fastend/broken nylon gear. I put on some super epoxy glue onto the end of the steelpin and held it for 20 minutes, so it fastend to the broken gear inside the Governor slot. And I got it pulled out !
Bought a cheap Governor repair kit from ' macrotransmissionparts.com' and installed the new gear innto the old governor, and got it( after some struggle) assembled into the governor slot. No I only need to fasten the upper two bolts for the governor protectionplate and fill up with transmission oil and go for a testtrip.

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Total waste of time. The suction screen will prevent anything of significant size fron being injested by the pump. And, unless you drop Mexican jumping beans in the tranny, objects can't "leap" up into any rotating parts. Even if the roll pin dropped in the pan, it will just stay there at the bottom until you open it up for service.

Get notified of new replies

To TH400 Governor with nylon Drivin Gear or without ?

Quick Reply: TH400 Governor with nylon Drivin Gear or without ?