C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoking Valve Cover Breather

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 08:41 PM
vietvette 77
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking Valve Cover Breather

I have about 200 miles on a 383 Stroker we put in my 77. For appearance I removed the PCV stuff and installed nice looking breathers in the shiny new valve covers. Now after a drive I'm getting some oil vapor out of the driver's side breather (where the PCV valve used to be). Do I want to replace this breather with one that has a nipple and replace the hose from there to the PCV nipple on the front of my carb? Or does this just move the problem to the intake?
Old 04-20-2014, 08:52 PM
tektrans
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 220 Posts

You could run a remote breather canister with lines to it but you will still get vapor.
Thats what I did.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:59 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

I agree that NO PVC valve looks better........BUT.......

Your engine will gunk up internally with oily sludge if the correct PVC valve is removed.

And I think that your engine won't run correctly with just a valve cover/nipple/hose/carb nipple arrangement (no PVC valve).

But I'm a rookie......Wait for the Experts to advise you.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:53 PM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Excessive vapor or smoke out the driver side breather could indicate too much blow by due to rings that didnt seat. (ask me how i know). Excessive oil consumption would go along with that though.

Otherwise it would be normal for some vapors and eventually the breathers get saturated and start to drip. On my 383 I would say that they fully saturate every 5000 miles. My .02

Get notified of new replies

To Smoking Valve Cover Breather

Quick Reply: Smoking Valve Cover Breather